Why should I get the Droid?

JamesButabi

Reaction score
The DROID is a hot device. It should clear 1,000,000 units sold by Christmas. Not bad, not bad at all.

This. Developers are going to start flocking to this device when q4 numbers are out. Plus the fact this is simply a solid device with a solid platform. Most quirks are very minor. Buy it, and love it.

Takami826

Reaction score
I researched. I really was strongly against droid because it's a Moto... after a brick I had back in the day and the RAZR... I swore off Moto for life and honestly became a Samsung addict... I had 2 Samsung sliders while on T-Mo and both endured a crapload of abuse... left overnight in the snow, run over with the car cuz it fell out of my pocket and I never noticed... run over IN the snow in a parking lot, left on the roof of the car and slid off... and always worked great... looked beat to hell but... then I wanted something better, internet, email etc and coworkers had Crackberry so I went with that.

I tried reallllly hard to like the Storm cuz I love Samsung... I even really wanted to like the Omnia2... I researched... felt the pull of the droid but that whole MOTO thing just made me twitch but once I learned what it could do, what it CAN do, WILL do... I said elsewhere, this ISN'T a phone, it's a freakin' machine.

When the Verizon guy dutifully did his job and insisted I tinker with the newer Curve, a Storm, and the HTC droid... I just looked at him, handed back the phone and said "really? we don't need to waste our time. I'm sold on the droid".

Bottom line, you have to make up your own mind. None of our opinions are going to matter much. Do your own research, weigh what you need, want and CAN HANDLE... and give yourself the learning curve and let yourself be frustrated while you learn. First 3 hours I think I pranked my friend about 5 times fiddling with the danged thing! LOL

Last night I looked at my Curve... coulda tossed it right in the trash. Never lookin back. I am HOPING Moto has turned itself around with droid so I don't have to come back here after a month and vomit.

atomicwedgie

Reaction score
I am HOPING Moto has turned itself around with droid so I don't have to come back here after a month and vomit.

Gosh Tak there is just something about the way you put things. It's like poetry... speech at it's utmost eloquence... your words invade my mind like a slow jazz melody.

So ya... I dig where you are comin from. The fact that Moto was making it left me a little hesitant but I'll be damned cuz they seem to have gotten it right this time.

zegwin

Reaction score
I love moto. First. They make the best 800mhz radios. And more along the lines of the phone. I have a phone that I have washed three times. dropped countless other times and kicked a few more times that works just as good as day one. Screen works not water inside. keyboard works. everything works perfect. It is the V325 if anyone cares. and the razors looked like crap and would break so I did not get it. Don't wright a company off because they made one bad phone that was supposed to be handled with white gloves.

Oh and the 325 is not retired for a droid. I am keeping it if the droid goes bad on me.

Takami826

Reaction score
@Atomicwedgie -HAHAHA ^^; thanks!! you make-a me blush!

@ Zegwin - well... I'm here, ain't I? LOL as for Samsung, I'll have to be content with my home theater setup (all but the sound is Samsung) as I try not to soak my droid in drool... LOL

oh and I'm ganking the droid peeing on the apple... right now I have a GitS wallpaper from the wallpaper forum here but that apple gettin' peed on.... makes me warm and tingly

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

@ Zegwin - well... I'm here, ain't I? LOL as for Samsung, I'll have to be content with my home theater setup (all but the sound is Samsung) as I try not to soak my droid in drool... LOL

oh and I'm ganking the droid peeing on the apple... right now I have a GitS wallpaper from the wallpaper forum here but that apple gettin' peed on.... makes me warm and tingly

hopefully there's no pee invovled :)

just playin'

atomicwedgie

Reaction score

Once again Tak your verbiage is a culinary feast for the mind!

Lucky for me I am able to interpret your musings into something coherent within my own screwed up noggin or I'd really start having to wonder about you. In some evil, twisted, Vincent Priceish way, you entertain me. :icon_ devil:

keiichi25

Reaction score

Holy crap... You liked the GitS one I tweaked and posted. Wow. Although losing out to the Droid peeing on Apple... Sad, but then, I can't blame a person who probably doesn't like the iPhone or most Apple products. :)

I don't like most Apple products mostly because they just make it seem like, "It's broken? Buy a new one..." Like I want to fork out a lot of money for something as silly as a battery I could replace myself if I didn't invalidate the warranty to open the sucker up.

Laurence5905

Reaction score
Why should I buy a Droid now...?

Because it's AWESOME!

Seriously, though, there won't be a v 2.0 of the Droid hardware. Hardware-wise, it's supremely well-designed. The only flaws that have been discovered have been software-related, and those will be fixed as time goes on. I'm betting on an update every 4 to 6 weeks at first, then slowing down gradually as it approaches its 1-year anniversary. (To wit: Dec. 11th they'll release an update; there's also one rumored for Jan. 22nd.)

There's no need for a Droid 2.0 to fix the original Droid's few flaws. Every flaw I've seen so far (and that's really very few, when you get right down to it) can be fixed via a software update.

The only reason for a Droid v2.0 will be in two or three years when the current Droid's hardware becomes obsolete. Maybe they won't even call it a Droid anymore?

At any rate, I own a Droid now -- I bought it the very day it was released -- and I'm extremely happy with it, despite its few flaws. Read up on the flaws that won't be fixed by the Dec. 11th update, and see if you can live with them. (The lack of Bluetooth-activated voice-dialing is the biggest flaw I can think of, and is truly the only major gripe I have with this phone). If you can live with the minor drawbacks the phone currently has, go grab yourself a new Droid and enjoy!

Laurence5905

Reaction score
I am HOPING Moto has turned itself around with droid so I don't have to come back here after a month and vomit.

I so agree with this statement, it's not even funny.

I've owned nothing but Moto phones since 1994 (Except for one P.O.S. Nokia that I couldn't get rid of fast enough.) and while I've never had a problem with the build-quality of a Moto phone (which is why I kept buying them over the years), their lack of features when compared to newer manufacturers has been a major gripe of mine for awhile now. (Moto's lack of a decent smartphone is really why I haven't owned a smartphone 'till now).

And then other manufacturers started to eclipse them in build-quality as well! I was so discouraged, that I was actually considering buying an HTC Imagio! (I know, right?!)

Then they announced the Droid. Yay!! Problem solved. Seems like Moto is back to their glory days and I, like you, am HOPING that they will stay there.

DROID4EVER

yoopermjm

Reaction score
I came to the droid from a long line of Palm phones, all of which I really liked. But this is even more. Much more. I hated it for 24 hours. Tolerated it for the next 24. Liked it on day three. And now I would be loathe to be without it. It is an awesome device, and more apps come every day. Try it, you'll like it.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why should I buy a Droid now as opposed to waiting for the second generation Droid with less flaws?
If you wait then exactly what criteria are you going to use to decide to make the jump? You're assuming that 100% of flaws are eliminated at some point and that's just not the case. Newer updates come along with their own flaws. It's the nature of the system. Jump in when you're ready -- not when others tell you.

Bill Beltway

Reaction score
I just got a Droid a few days ago, and like one of the previous respondents, the more I use it the more I love it. I needed a new phone and struggled with the possibility of jumping to AT&T for the iPhone. My sister has one and I have to say that it is a very, very slick product. However, the fact that it is on AT&T put me off greatly, to say the least.

The fact that right after I first keyed in my Gmail address and password and the Droid automatically synced up just blew me away. Then my schedule from Google just popped up on the phone. The GPS can be very intuitive in figuring out what you want (the selection/navigation menu not so much).

Driving mode is next to useless for dealing with phone calls, in my opinion, but I don't doubt that someone will come up with a fix for that soon.

I was worried about bugs, but the unit seems robust both physically and software-wise. So far the only issue was when the display refused to rotate, but the tech said that may have been caused by lots of contacts downloading from Gmail. The problem went away and has not come back. Also, the phone was getting updated a lot in the first couple of days, which sometimes causes glitches.

They way I describe it, the iPhone is like a Mercedes, smooth and sensuous and glamorous. The Droid is like a Shelby Mustang-- one of the original ones from the 1960's with a 350 and dual quads and totally upgraded technology. You can get under the hood and mess with things, not like the Mercedes. And if the Mercedes is smart, it won't challenge the Droid to a race.

If you're the least bit tech-y you will be happy with the phone. There is no doubt that the iPhone is a great product, but it's on a crappy system. -BB

Takami826

Reaction score
Holy crap... You liked the GitS one I tweaked and posted. Wow. Although losing out to the Droid peeing on Apple... Sad, but then, I can't blame a person who probably doesn't like the iPhone or most Apple products. :)

I LOVE the GitS wallpaper... I still have it and will probably go back to it... as cool as the droid peeing on the apple is, it's very hard to see my icons so in concept it's nice but the GitS one is MUCH better for my needs :)

Atomicwedgie - you crack me up!! :icon_ banana:

boatman2220

Reaction score
Second gen? This isn't the Storm... there's no Droid 2 in hiding to 'cover up' a botched device and launch.... :)

there's updates starting to roll out today... should be out to all over the next couple days.

Jan 22nd there will be another additional update. This phone is only going to get better... shouldn't need to be convinced :)
There's always going to be a better anything as the current one evolves and gets better. Right now, There's a new Sheriff in town, and his name is DROID. :motdroidhoriz::motdroidvert: