Why should I choose the Motorola Droid?

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
I can give some input at least concerning the Omnia II vs. the Droid. About 2 months ago, my 1-year-old got a hold of my Palm Centro and short-circuited it with drool. Needing a replacement immediately and not having time to do sufficient research, I went to Verizon and picked up an Omnia II. I had it for about 2 weeks and decided that there were a lot of things I didn't like about it, so I returned it for a Droid. I don't regret it. Here's what I didn't like about the Omnia II:
- It was annoyingly slow, especially when using the internet.
- Many of the apps use quite large text fonts, so less text can fit on the screen. Seems like a big waste of such a high res screen.
- You can only put 12 icons on a home screen.
- Seemed generally less customizable and less user friendly than the Droid.
- No physical keyboard, meaning that most of the screen is consumed by the on-screen keyboard when in use.

The only advantages to the Omnia II over the Droid are lighter weight, sexier aesthetics (arguably), and a built in FM radio.
thank you, that def settles that one for me lol

i still like the omnia HD though but its not sold in the US :(

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
"how can i get my songs from itunes to blah blah blah?"

If I had a nickle every time I heard this phrase I would be rich.

The concepts that overwhelm people baffle me.

iTunes ate your music and can only give it back if you tickle it..or give it more money. That's my new response.
LOL im so using that next time

i know computers are extremely complex these days. i def dont know probably 95% of computer stuff lol and i majored in computer science for a couple years :-O
but with the heavy reliance we have on computers these days, its amazing some people dont know more. u know what it probably is? those damn macs. theyre made so you dont have to know anything. thats great and all if you just browse the internet, but if youre trying to do anything else theyre a nuisance.

cuskit

Reaction score
"how can i get my songs from itunes to blah blah blah?"

iTunes ate your music and can only give it back if you tickle it..or give it more money. That's my new response.

i know computers are extremely complex these days. i def dont know probably 95% of computer stuff lol and i majored in computer science for a couple years :-O
but with the heavy reliance we have on computers these days, its amazing some people dont know more. u know what it probably is? those damn macs. theyre made so you dont have to know anything. thats great and all if you just browse the internet, but if youre trying to do anything else theyre a nuisance.
Just about everyone I know owns and drives a car. Yet 99% of them are dead in the water when the car breaks down. Who's the dummy? The car or the owner? They are tools we use - we pay mechanics to work on them (okay - computer mechanics are called technicians). Why do Apple users, Pc users, Chevy or Nisson (small example choices) need to know anything more to use their "tool" than necessary? The name calling because people choose one brand over another just shows ignorance. If a tool does it's job and you know how to manipulate it to do that job - cakewalk! If it breaks, hire the mechanic (or technician). Simple..

Don't be so narrow minded to restrict Apples to browsing the web. Ever read a magazine? Or a newspaper? They are ALL produced on Macs! 99% of the advertising world is run off Macs. Most graphics oriented businesses use Macs. Browsing? Heck - sure - the average lay person may just use a Mac for browsing, but in the real work force there are many industries that thrive on Macs. Do your research..

Not a Mac defender - just look with my eyes AND ears.. :) :) mike

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
this is only one of the reasons why i'd never get anything apple...apple users dont know a damn thing about computers. unless im completely misunderstanding you, in which case i apologize.

You're totally misunderstanding Apple users. I had a Mac for my first computer, used Windows for several years. In all the years I had Windows I can't tell you the amount of times I had to do reinstalls. Got my Mac again last year, runs like a charm, have not had to do a system restore, does not require constant updates like Windows, no fear of viruses. I can go on and on.

And now I can run Windows with my Mac when necessary. Let's see a single PC out there that can do that. There is a reason why we select Mac over PC and it isn't just because they cost more.

Rant over, please continue with your topic.

And to continue back on topic I want to take up the subject of why Droid is so much better then Blackberry:

1. Overall functionality is smoother, quicker.
2. Web Browser. There is nothing that you can put on a Blackberry that can match the speed of a Droid.
3. Better touch screen then Blackberry's Storm. Either one of them 1 or 2.
4. Better hardware. Keep in mind I'm only familiar with the Storms. I understand the Bold was a decent phone.
5. Open platform. Allows the user to take full control, much more availability of apps then what Blackberry offers.
6. Better phone then either Blackberry Storm.
7. No battery pulls
8. Better control of memory. You don't even have to worry about memory.

That's about all I can come up with at the top of my head this morning. Best thing for the OP to do is to go down and try a Droid. See how it feels, how easy it is to use.

I was a huge Blackberry fanboy until I met the Droid. And breaking up was not hard to do. Caution: If you have been using Blackberry expect a huge learning curve. But once you get past that, which is basically wiping your brain free of every thought you have on how a smart phone works, you'll love it.:)
honestly, you just proved my point about apple users. first of all, one of the biggest things that pisses me off about apple is that BS rumor they put out about macs not getting viruses. thats IMPOSSIBLE. if its a computer, it can get a virus...period. and to elaborate on that...1) i have known several mac users who got viruses i even saw one on an iphone! and 2) i cant even tell u the last time i had a virus on my PC. if you have a firewall and antivirus software you very very rarely get viruses. its been years and years since ive had one. and the last one i had was probably me being a dumbass and turning off the firewall for some other purpose then forgetting to turn it back on. also, macs do update, quite frequently actually...you just dont know it. windows is courteous enough to tell you just incase you didnt want to do it right then ;) and why in Gods name would anyone want to run an mac OS when you have windows anyway? lol if you want a dual boot option on a PC, you get linux...thats a no brainer. :p

thanx for the info on the droid. there seems to be overwhelming feedback on this thing. im very curious now about the browsing speed though. BB native browser can be kind of slow, however, opera just released the opera mini beta 2. i just DLed it and i must say, it is INSANELY fast. its seriously as quick as my PC, it sick. but its got its glitches since its only a beta version :/

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score

Just about everyone I know owns and drives a car. Yet 99% of them are dead in the water when the car breaks down. Who's the dummy? The car or the owner? They are tools we use - we pay mechanics to work on them (okay - computer mechanics are called technicians). Why do Apple users, Pc users, Chevy or Nisson (small example choices) need to know anything more to use their "tool" than necessary? The name calling because people choose one brand over another just shows ignorance. If a tool does it's job and you know how to manipulate it to do that job - cakewalk! If it breaks, hire the mechanic (or technician). Simple..

Don't be so narrow minded to restrict Apples to browsing the web. Ever read a magazine? Or a newspaper? They are ALL produced on Macs! 99% of the advertising world is run off Macs. Most graphics oriented businesses use Macs. Browsing? Heck - sure - the average lay person may just use a Mac for browsing, but in the real work force there are many industries that thrive on Macs. Do your research..

youre completely misunderstanding what im saying. im not calling out any specific person here. but there are retards to computers and its sad.. yeah we have technicians like we have mechanics for are car. but if you cant turn on your defrost or pump gas, you shouldnt be allowed to drive ;) thats my point...these are extremely fundamental concepts.

and i dont think macs are useless or only for web browsing. theyre just extremely restrictive, like a communist dictator. sure, you can do some things, but youre far more limited, which i do not like. furthermore, as i stated, i have a personal vendetta against apple...not the computers or other devices, but rather the company itself.

cuskit

Reaction score

youre completely misunderstanding what im saying. im not calling out any specific person here. but there are retards to computers and its sad.. yeah we have technicians like we have mechanics for are car. but if you cant turn on your defrost or pump gas, you shouldnt be allowed to drive ;) thats my point...these are extremely fundamental concepts.

and i dont think macs are useless or only for web browsing. theyre just extremely restrictive, like a communist dictator. sure, you can do some things, but youre far more limited, which i do not like. furthermore, as i stated, i have a personal vendetta against apple...not the computers or other devices, but rather the company itself.
Okay. We'll let it go at that, and rather concentrate on Droids here as we all know there is and never will be an end to the Hatsfield and McCoy, oops, er, I mean Apple/PC war... ;)

Now if we can just keep the iPhone/Droid battles down to just a skirmish or two then these forums might just prove to be above and beyond those that continue to rant on a subject that goes nowhere.. :) mike

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score

Okay. We'll let it go at that, and rather concentrate on Droids here as we all know there is and never will be an end to the Hatsfield and McCoy, oops, er, I mean Apple/PC war... ;)

Now if we can just keep the iPhone/Droid battles down to just a skirmish or two then these forums might just prove to be above and beyond those that continue to rant on a subject that goes nowhere.. :) mike
sounds good to me.

so ive been pricing the droid at different places. verizons site has it at $200 as does best buy. walmarts site has it at $100. now i know for verizon at least, the instore price isnt necessarily the same. does anyone know their instore price? and is walmarts instore price the same as their site? the only verizon corperate store here is about 30-45min away in roanoke, va. however, their are 2 wireless zones here, but i dont know their prices on the droid. im trying to get the best deal here obviously. my buddy worked for the one wireless zone here for 6 years and he warned against going to walmart for phones. i know walmart is full of r-tards, so that wasnt news to me. but im wondering if its still worth it anyways. even if its messed up, i can warranty exchange it. its $100 difference!

mattygabe

Reaction score

sounds good to me.

so ive been pricing the droid at different places. verizons site has it at $200 as does best buy. walmarts site has it at $100. now i know for verizon at least, the instore price isnt necessarily the same. does anyone know their instore price? and is walmarts instore price the same as their site? the only verizon corperate store here is about 30-45min away in roanoke, va. however, their are 2 wireless zones here, but i dont know their prices on the droid. im trying to get the best deal here obviously. my buddy worked for the one wireless zone here for 6 years and he warned against going to walmart for phones. i know walmart is full of r-tards, so that wasnt news to me. but im wondering if its still worth it anyways. even if its messed up, i can warranty exchange it. its $100 difference!
My experience has been that Verizon's stores are never the cheapest, but almost always have what you need (as they should), and third-party wireless shops tend to be even worse (I'm still not sure how their business model works, unless uninformed granmas make up a large market segment). I know that Amazon has the Droid for $109.99 with free two-day shipping, I just ordered mine from there today as an existing customer. Not sure how fast Walmart ships theirs but make sure it's not just for new customers (I know Wirefly has a lot of deals for new customers but not existing ones).

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Well I don't know about verizon retailers but I worked for a large at&t retailers. We usually had identical prices to corporate, but if there was a difference it went either way. Sometimes we were cheaper sometimes not. We def were sleezier though lol. But wireless zone, at least, is a huge nationwide retailer with like 270 stores. Figured it was worth checking out their prices.

cuskit

Reaction score
My Costco Warehouse had them for $109.00 three weeks ago. I looked there two days ago and not a Droid in stock! Pretending I was going to buy - he kept pushing an eros on me. But he did say Droids would be back in stock and low priced by next week. I'd try there - Costco also does great returns! This is a kiosk in the Costco store, but it's still Costco. :) mike

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
My Costco Warehouse had them for $109.00 three weeks ago. I looked there two days ago and not a Droid in stock! Pretending I was going to buy - he kept pushing an eros on me. But he did say Droids would be back in stock and low priced by next week. I'd try there - Costco also does great returns! This is a kiosk in the Costco store, but it's still Costco. :) mike

I forgot about them. Ill have to see if there's one here anywhere near blacksburg. I think there's a sams club in roanoke though too.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
the nearest costco is 80 miles away in north carolina, so screw that lol. there def is a sams club in roanoke, but their online price is $180, so its not worth it anyway. any other ideas? and do you think if i went to verizon corporate they could hook me up with a deal on some accessories at least? i know at&t corporate will do that.

cuskit

Reaction score
the nearest costco is 80 miles away in north carolina, so screw that lol. there def is a sams club in roanoke, but their online price is $180, so its not worth it anyway. any other ideas? and do you think if i went to verizon corporate they could hook me up with a deal on some accessories at least? i know at&t corporate will do that.
I tell you - your signature alone commands enough attention that they will at the least listen to you! ;) What have you got to lose? Good luck! :) mike

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
I tell you - your signature alone commands enough attention that they will at the least listen to you! ;) What have you got to lose? Good luck! :) mike
ha ha, well i wish that were the case. i saw online that verizon offers a deal on accessories. its like $40 off when you buy the media dock, GPS car mount, and car charger...which oddly are the exact accessories i wanted lol. however, i dont know if this deal holds true in stores.

oh yeah, one more question. do any of you use screen protectors on your droids? does it affect the touch screen response?

cuskit

Reaction score
ha ha, well i wish that were the case. i saw online that verizon offers a deal on accessories. its like $40 off when you buy the media dock, GPS car mount, and car charger...which oddly are the exact accessories i wanted lol. however, i dont know if this deal holds true in stores.

oh yeah, one more question. do any of you use screen protectors on your droids? does it affect the touch screen response?

I use the stock (3-pack) screen protector from VZW. I still have the first one I installed back in November, and believe me this phone has been through the mill! Still holding perfectly, no bubbles (a couple original bubbles eventually worked their way off the screen) and the edges are not lifting at all! :) mike