Why overclock ?

Mars

Reaction score
does it speed up downloading web pages/youtube vids, etc. (i know the answer, but that would make me overclock as high as my temp. would allow).

it does process it faster but that also can depend on your 3g coverage or unless you are on wifi. but loading times are a bit faster since i have overclocked.

think of it this way imagine using a really slow computer and going on the Internet as compared to a really fast computer over the same internet speeds

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Overclocking can actually help your battery life too. Well, not overclocking, but the ability to underclock when the phone is sleeping or idle. Using SetCPU you can tell adjust the processor speed on demand, making it run slower when sleeping or idle. Normally the phone always runs at 550mHz, so this can reduce power consumption somewhat.

That's what I was hoping as well. However, how much difference does it make underclocked when sleeping or idle, because my understanding is the CPU usage is very low in those modes to begin with?

OP
findit

findit

Reaction score
Is the stock 550 enough to handle the full 3G speeds. What I am getting at is you can make the fastest computer in the world but if your internet speed is slow your not going to see a difference.So based on that, internet browsing to me is used more than apps, along with texting, phone calls etc. Should I see a big difference or one so mininmal that it does not warrant the risk of damaging the phone. And if so which is the safest mod? They all seem to have there fair share of troubles.

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com
Honestly if. I was goig to go through the trouble of flashing and all that I would just get a rom becouse you get the goodies of 2.1 (multitouch browser, gallery, voice to text, etc) I would go with bugless beast 1.1 and overclock using adamz kernel. You get live wall papers and stuff. My temps are never over 110F

Here's the link AllDroid - View topic - [ROM 2.0.1] Bugless Beast V1.1 (2/22/10) STABLE

OP
findit

findit

Reaction score
Pete's BB 1.1 doesn't seem to have 800 for a speed, which is where I would want to run at max anyway. Also the link seems a little over my head being somewhat of a noobie. Is there a easy to install, stable rom? I would also like to hear some opinions on whether it is worth it based on how I use my phone. thanks in advace.

krazyskott

Reaction score
Pete's BB 1.1 doesn't seem to have 800 for a speed, which is where I would want to run at max anyway. Also the link seems a little over my head being somewhat of a noobie. Is there a easy to install, stable rom? I would also like to hear some opinions on whether it is worth it based on how I use my phone. thanks in advace.

Hey I'm a total noob aswell and I used math3ws instructions on the easy way to root and install BB using only SPRecovory and zip. Then I simply followed Pete's instructions on how to get BB 1.1 using SPRecovory.

My question is I want to overclock 1.1 do I just replace the BB1.1 zip with Chevy's 1.2 overclock zip and follow the same instructions used to install BB 1.1 and replace my current update.zip file?

Droidfish

Reaction score
I don't think you're going to find anyone here who'll tell you NOT to root (in this thread anyway). Truth be told, it's not difficult, you will notice a difference with overclocking(even at 800) and while it's not impossible to brick your phone, it's pretty dang hard. Especially with all the help you can find right here and at alldroid.

If you're not comfortable with it, don't do it, but once I did I wished I hadn't waited so long. Stock droid is nice and capable but rooting unleashes the true potential of this device.

Plus there's a ton of devs and themers out there making it better pretty much by the hour.

Droidfish

Reaction score

Hey I'm a total noob aswell and I used math3ws instructions on the easy way to root and install BB using only SPRecovory and zip. Then I simply followed Pete's instructions on how to get BB 1.1 using SPRecovory.

My question is I want to overclock 1.1 do I just replace the BB1.1 zip with Chevy's 1.2 overclock zip and follow the same instructions used to install BB 1.1 and replace my current update.zip file?

Yup, just rename the chevy's kernel to update.zip, and install thru sprecovery.

kmasum

Reaction score
i was once overclocked with sm...didnt find much difference instead feq crushing was annoying so went back to stock !!!

streetkid

Reaction score
I was surprised how warm the Droid gets stock, I'll be holding off on overclock until I get at least a year into my contract. I figure at that time it'll be like getting an upgrade again :)

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Warning if you do decide to try Overclocking out, be careful because you might get addicted!! haha I tested out 1.1GHz for fun one day from 800MHz and well I never went back hahaha in fact I went up to 1.2GHz lol!! :icon_ banana:

Droidfish

Reaction score
Warning if you do decide to try Overclocking out, be careful because you might get addicted!! haha I tested out 1.1GHz for fun one day from 800MHz and well I never went back hahaha in fact I went up to 1.2GHz lol!! :icon_ banana:

LOL I know what you mean, yesterday I got a ticket for driving under the influence of SPRecovery