1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Why overclock ?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by findit, Feb 24, 2010.

1. findit

findit New Member

:byeBB:If just using the droid as a phone, texting, using some apps ocassionally, and some web surfing like checking news with some video is it a big difference to overclock? does it justify to root and overclock or better to stay stock? any other advantages to overclocking? thanks in advance for your opinion.
  2. sportadic22

sportadic22 New Member

My personal opinion to you would be naaa you dont really need to overclock or root... if you are just doing the BASICs....
    reasons i wanted to root and overclock :
    1. just to be cool :)
    2. i love to customize
    3. i want to make my phone my own and be like special to any other droid my friends got.
    4. overclock - because i can :) i do games..exploring..trying things. i just like fast ha
    5. so i can add apps and stuff that cant be put on a normal stock phone.
    6. im impatience and cant wait for 2.1 update... so i want some 2.1 stuff now :p
  3. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member

advantage is it makes your processor do a job quicker/ disadvantage is that it can over work the processor over time. Your phone does get a little hotter and battery life is shorter.
  4. CorvetteAustin24

CorvetteAustin24 New Member

In my case, I use the phone occasionally, and apps mostly, so overclocking is a plus for me because it runs things better. Plus, I'm a geek and love messing with devices.
  5. sportadic22

sportadic22 New Member

"Plus, I'm a geek and love messing with devices"
    illlll drinkkk to that bro
  6. JeriKu

JeriKu New Member

I'm just curious.. will overclocking void any warranty on a Motorola Droid?
  7. Samckaz

Samckaz New Member

Forget overclocking, just by rooting you void the warranty but you can ALWAYS go back to stock with warranty.
  8. JeriKu

JeriKu New Member

I see.. I'll pass then! I love my Droid. As of right now.. it's perfect. :)

:yeahbaby01:
  9. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Jh
    Yes... any modification to your OS, changing roms, rooting, overclocking. All will void warenty
  10. jbernard703

jbernard703 New Member

With stock 2.0.1 i would occasionally experience lag while opening certain applications and opening app drawer. Overclocked to 800mhz i never experience it anymore. At that clock speed i never feel any extra heat and my temp gauge always stays aound 30c give or take a few degrees.
  11. JoeeDB

JoeeDB Member

I think you'd like overclocking even if you are just doing "basics". Your phone will feel much faster even doing basic functions on it (switching screens, opening the drawer, texting, etc.). I'd give it a try to see if you like it and I'm about 95% sure you won't want to switch back.
  12. s-one

s-one New Member

Someone not to long ago made a youtube video on the speed difference btwn a stock 550 and 950 mhz droid. Now that most ROMs can do 1.2 it just make no sense to put up with the underclocked delay. Search youtube to see the vid.
  13. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

I think I'm going to finally give this a go. DroidMod seems very simple and straightforward.

The lag can be annoying opening some apps, even if it's just a few seconds. But chop that in half with overclocking and I think it will significant improve the satisfaction. It's nitpicking, but why not?

I also am a Locale power user so I'm hoping overclocking will improve how quickly it recognizes and switches conditions (here we're talking 5-10 seconds at standard clock speeds).
  14. jimnutt

jimnutt New Member

Overclocking can actually help your battery life too. Well, not overclocking, but the ability to underclock when the phone is sleeping or idle. Using SetCPU you can tell adjust the processor speed on demand, making it run slower when sleeping or idle. Normally the phone always runs at 550mHz, so this can reduce power consumption somewhat.
  15. DessoThumbs

DessoThumbs Member

does it speed up downloading web pages/youtube vids, etc. (i know the answer, but that would make me overclock as high as my temp. would allow).
  16. Mars

Mars New Member

it does process it faster but that also can depend on your 3g coverage or unless you are on wifi. but loading times are a bit faster since i have overclocked.

think of it this way imagine using a really slow computer and going on the Internet as compared to a really fast computer over the same internet speeds
  17. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

That's what I was hoping as well. However, how much difference does it make underclocked when sleeping or idle, because my understanding is the CPU usage is very low in those modes to begin with?
  18. Grey Hawk

Grey Hawk New Member

Yes, but not by much at all.
  19. findit

findit New Member

Is the stock 550 enough to handle the full 3G speeds. What I am getting at is you can make the fastest computer in the world but if your internet speed is slow your not going to see a difference.So based on that, internet browsing to me is used more than apps, along with texting, phone calls etc. Should I see a big difference or one so mininmal that it does not warrant the risk of damaging the phone. And if so which is the safest mod? They all seem to have there fair share of troubles.
  20. INSANENEIVIESIS

INSANENEIVIESIS New Member Developer

Honestly if. I was goig to go through the trouble of flashing and all that I would just get a rom becouse you get the goodies of 2.1 (multitouch browser, gallery, voice to text, etc) I would go with bugless beast 1.1 and overclock using adamz kernel. You get live wall papers and stuff. My temps are never over 110F

Here's the link AllDroid - View topic - [ROM 2.0.1] Bugless Beast V1.1 (2/22/10) STABLE
Search tags for this page
advantage of overclocking android phone
advantages of overclocking phone
android overclock advantages
benefit of overclocking android
benefits of over clocking galaxy nexus
benefits of overclock droid x
benefits of overclocking a phone

benefits of overclocking android

benefits of overclocking phone videos
benefits to overclocking a phone
galaxy s3 overclock benefits