Why on earth???

Canefan

Reaction score
Would they design it so that you can't charge the phone in landscape mode with the kickstand? If you want to use the phone as a desktop clock it has to either be standing up, or you have to use their dock. Designing the kickstand to flip out the other way would have been much much better. Dumb.

StewieJr

Reaction score
I just saw picture of it, I don't get mine til Monday, and this isn't really a "solution" but - the port is near the bottom of the phone. Isn't it possible to just hang the phone a bit over the edge of your table/desk/etc - so the usb connection can fit, but still room for the kickstand to keep it up?

GDP

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they did that on purpose

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

DrFeelgood

Reaction score
You can stand it up portrait style while charging I think.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Beka27

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure they did that on purpose

Absolutely. Why have a $60 dock if no one is going to buy it. I would actually be surprised if this wasn't purposely designed this way.

(from Beka's DX)

Reaction score
Would they design it so that you can't charge the phone in landscape mode with the kickstand? If you want to use the phone as a desktop clock it has to either be standing up, or you have to use their dock. Designing the kickstand to flip out the other way would have been much much better. Dumb.

Two things I found in my playing around with the Demo phone I had:

1. Put the kickstand out and the phone in landscape mode. Press the time on the Clock/Weather widget, then press on the Half-moon icon. This will show the time in Landscape mode.
  2. I purchased a right-angled Micro-USB cable, which alleviates some of the issue of charging and having it in lanscape/kickstand mode. The other option would be to create a box/pedestal of some sort and poking a hole in the box where the Charging cable can go into the phone.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
I just saw picture of it, I don't get mine til Monday, and this isn't really a "solution" but - the port is near the bottom of the phone. Isn't it possible to just hang the phone a bit over the edge of your table/desk/etc - so the usb connection can fit, but still room for the kickstand to keep it up?

You'd be relying on a 2mm lip of phone to hold it in position balanced on the edge. I tried it for a second but thought better of it. You're just asking for the thing to fall off the table with the slightest of bumps.

shortsxit

Reaction score

You'd be relying on a 2mm lip of phone to hold it in position balanced on the edge. I tried it for a second but thought better of it. You're just asking for the thing to fall off the table with the slightest of bumps.

...or you balance the phone on the table with the other 90% of the phone on the table?

champaned_out

Reaction score
how is this asking for it to fall?
IMG_20110318_004419.jpg

long as you dont have pets or kids running around the room its perfectly fine.. of course your limited to the places you can place on your desk... it still works fine

Jessesmith888

Reaction score
In a month you will have netflix. And a dock. This phone was designed for a dock for a reason. Let's see what it is.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
C

Canefan

Reaction score
Sorry but this makes no sense to me. Makes the kickstand virtually useless IMO as the times you'd use it would be for long periods requiring plug in like watching a movie or using it as a clock at nite.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Big Ry

Reaction score
Maybe there's some way to switch the kickstand to the other side :)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

phamdinhnguyen

Reaction score
A solution for me... Hopefully it'll help you...

Some background information: I got my HTC Thunderbolt for only 4 days, 3 of which were on the road, round trip < 750 miles, using the HTC Thunderbolt as the GPS, MP3 player to my car audio system, and yes, as a (speaker) phone too :) Btw, the Thunderbolt did very well in all 3 aspects. I carried along my trusted "Garmin nüvi 265W/265WT 4.3-Inch Widescreen Bluetooth Portable GPS Navigator with Traffic", but did not use it. There were few times I had it briefly turned on as a matter of "trust but verify", since I had gotten the Thunderbolt for less than 10 hours before my trip.

Sorry for the round about story, so here goes. I bought the "Window and Dash Vehicle Mount" for $29.99 at a VZW Corporate store while in NYC. I found that though the GPS audio instructions are very sufficient, navigationally speaking, seeing the map screen certainly further helps.

After reading this thread, I went over to the "ezeStand" site as stealthgriffin had suggested. Thanks, but I would not buy that product.
I do agree with Dusty about the very likely chance that the phone will "fall off the table with the slightest of bumps"

It just occurred to me that I may have already had a solution: the "Window and Dash Vehicle Mount": the cradle is detachable from the window mount.
I detached the cradle, snapped my Thunderbolt into its place.
One note: I found that the kickstand isn't necessary any more. With the micro-USB cable protruding from the back of the cradle, it serves PERFECTLY as the kickstand.
The cradle stands solidly on my desk, as I'm writing this and watching youtube music.
dancedroid

Check out the HTC6400MNT from VZW site: https://scache.vzw.com/images_b2c/accessories/lg/htc_thunderbolt_windo_mount.png