Why Not To Root Your Galaxy S6 / Galaxy S6 Edge

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
samsung-galaxy-s6-edge2.jpg

If you know me then you know that the very first thing I do when I take a phone out of the box is root it if a root method is available. Why do I do this? There are a few root apps that I use. Some of them I truly can live without, one or two of them I feel like I can't live without (mainly wifi tether). The main reason I root is because i love to tinker, and the fact that I bought a device (paying full price to save my unlimited data plan on Verizon) I feel like I should be able to modify the software in anyway that I like. It's more of a stance against the institution for me.

There may be one good reason to steer clear from rooting your Galaxy S6. It turns out that rooting your S6 will render one very important feature useless. If you root your S6 you will not be able to use Samsung Pay. This was discovered during the Samsung Pay trials. I have tried Google Wallet in the past, but the tap to pay feature is just not something that I found myself using on a normal enough basis to keep adding funds to my wallet. In my opinion the benefits of root outweigh the ability to use my phone as a mobile wallet.

via Sammobile

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I agree, I have a few apps I use regularly that require root and that I've become so used to that my phone would feel naked without it.

this is the reason I've kept my note 2 for so long, I still have root and unlimited data... I actually have 2 unlimited data lines and I refuse to upgrade or change the plan and I maintain the second line simply because I can.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
You know root is available on the vzw Note 3 & 4 right? So you can still upgrade, root AND keep unlimited. (If you purchase the device outright)
As for Google wallet, I don't use it either, even though I have an account.

S5 tap'n

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Note 4 root is available for 5.0.1? I saw they released one when it was still on kk.

Sent from my Note 4

Reactions: cr6

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
You're right, I believe they're still working on root for 5.0. They found an exploit, but I think it only works on Dev edition devices right now.

S5 tap'n

blacksoxing

Reaction score
You know root is available on the vzw Note 3 & 4 right? So you can still upgrade, root AND keep unlimited. (If you purchase the device outright)
As for Google wallet, I don't use it either, even though I have an account.

S5 tap'n
You have to be VERY careful when rooting the VZ Note 3....as going past 4.4.2 can cause you to lose root...