Why no support for flash??

hazardouzking

Reaction score
Markee said:
Can anyone explain the logic for not supporting flash..

Reason is everything and everyone is now turning to html because it's easier to use and less inexpensive

ambrown

Reaction score
hazardouzking is right, a lot if web standards are moving to H.264 and whatnot. However the biggest downside is that there are more than a few websites still entrenched in flash and unless you have flash the sites don't function all the way.

Once people move away from the ancient versions of IE and upgrade to a modern browser that supports H.264 then we might finally see flash become less relevant.

As far as mobile goes though it was Adobe themselves who dropped support for flash, so while it may sound bad that the Nexus 7 doesn't have flash at all, that's more due to Adobe than some choice by Google.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its not even all Adobe's fault tho.

My RAZR and Rezound both have official ICS. I dont have Flash fully functioning on my RAZR, but it works fine on my Rezound. Thats just ICS... Adobe did start dropping support for Flash starting with ICS, but why does one phone work and another doesnt and they booth have ICS? Manufactures fault...

You can even read where some ppl with Nexus 7 devices or JB on some devices have Flash working better than whats going on with the RAZR. So we have website designers and phone manufactures caught in this....mess. I understand to get ppl off of Flash it needs to go away, but some of us do use it on our phones. How long has HTML5 been in the works? I sure hope its somewhat ready for prime time. Either way.....we are gonna see bumps in the road when Flash goes totally away and gets replaced by HTML5. Look at the growing pains for LTE...

ambrown

Reaction score
Well if you're going to point fingers about who is responsible for flash's decline then you want to point it at Apple. Apple was the one to completely drop flash from the iPhone and went with newer video codecs built into HTML5. Flash got a brief boost when they got Android to get behind them and advertised flash as an advantage over the iPhone. But increasingly flash is becoming less viable for the future.

The death nail was Adobe dropping mobile support though. Google wants to keep innovating and improving Android, but how can they do that if they're expected to work with old flash software that can't keep up? Manufacturers play a part in that too, but they realized that supporting flash would be more trouble than it would be worth. They would be working double time to work around flash and keeping it working while it just got older and more out of date. If I were a manufacturer I wouldn't want to keep flash alive by doing extra work on my part either. If Adobe wants flash to survive then they should put some effort into a mobile presence; no one wants to back a horse that just gave up their whole fight after making a big deal about Apple dropping them. In the end manufacturers decided Apple was right and ditched flash. You can still get flash in google play, but manufacturers are leaving the rest up to Adobe to keep users happy.

Though the reason flash has even held on this long is because there are still a million people out there using Windows XP and older versions of Internet Explorer which can't run HTML5. So flash can still reach the most people online. But once IE 6 and 7 die hards upgrade to better browsers then flash won't really be necessary anymore. On mobile I'd say they're just ahead of the curve on where the industry is already headed in the future.

Then once web developers see that the tides are moving away from flash they'll dump it for HTML5 as well.

RL52

Reaction score
Well if you're going to point fingers about who is responsible for flash's decline then you want to point it at Apple. Apple was the one to completely drop flash from the iPhone and went with newer video codecs built into HTML5. Flash got a brief boost when they got Android to get behind them and advertised flash as an advantage over the iPhone. But increasingly flash is becoming less viable for the future.

The death nail was Adobe dropping mobile support though. Google wants to keep innovating and improving Android, but how can they do that if they're expected to work with old flash software that can't keep up? Manufacturers play a part in that too, but they realized that supporting flash would be more trouble than it would be worth. They would be working double time to work around flash and keeping it working while it just got older and more out of date. If I were a manufacturer I wouldn't want to keep flash alive by doing extra work on my part either. If Adobe wants flash to survive then they should put some effort into a mobile presence; no one wants to back a horse that just gave up their whole fight after making a big deal about Apple dropping them. In the end manufacturers decided Apple was right and ditched flash. You can still get flash in google play, but manufacturers are leaving the rest up to Adobe to keep users happy.

Though the reason flash has even held on this long is because there are still a million people out there using Windows XP and older versions of Internet Explorer which can't run HTML5. So flash can still reach the most people online. But once IE 6 and 7 die hards upgrade to better browsers then flash won't really be necessary anymore. On mobile I'd say they're just ahead of the curve on where the industry is already headed in the future.

Then once web developers see that the tides are moving away from flash they'll dump it for HTML5 as well.

right! Apple killed flash...they had the power to and they did it! Android and everyone else will follow that...what about window phones actually?

OP
Markee

Markee

Reaction score
OK... But who has a product that can make Flash on ICS... Seems like there would be a great market for an application. I would be willing to pay good money to get my flash back.
Is anyone aware of any application that I can download to make Flash work again..?? I have tried numerous browsers and Flashify, but nothing works.
I will stay tuned for any assistance.