why no advanced task killer on thunderbolt?

LOUISSSSS

Reaction score
Why is it bad to have advanced task killer installed on the thunderbolt?

capetocairo

Reaction score
Task Killers are bad for virtually any Android device. You are theoretically doing more harm to your phone than good. Understandably, a person's natural reaction is to kill apps that they think are using unnecessary resources. Don't do it! You need to realize the there is a huge difference between applications and processes. An application can be running perfectly quiet in the background without having to use virtually ANY resources.

Task killers run on the fallacious assumption that freeing up resources is a beneficial thing. However, Android handles background processes very well and can manage without an extra application to do that.

It's basically just a safety blanket for people; they just don't realize that it does nothing, if not harm your phone! Not only are you using more resources to force close a lot of applications, but some of them use just as many resources to start right back up, due to the way that Android manages them.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes exactly. Do NOT use Task Killers, ever. I hope VZW reps aren't still telling people to use them.

capetocairo

Reaction score
Yes exactly. Do NOT use Task Killers, ever. I hope VZW reps aren't still telling people to use them.

Unfortunately, when I got my TB the rep recommended it to me. Luckily, I did my research before buying it and knew better.

Not only that, but I saw many other employees using one.

OP
L

LOUISSSSS

Reaction score
What kind of problems should I expect if I have advanced task killer installed and actively use it to end all tasks? Just for my info...

capetocairo

Reaction score
What kind of problems should I expect if I have advanced task killer installed and actively use it to end all tasks? Just for my info...

Historically, people notice horrible battery life, slower performance in general (which I find quite ironic), and shorter battery life in the long run.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yea, my friend is a Verizon rep, she doesn't know how these phones work, lol. Good thing we have these forums.

If one wants to manually kill tasks if something is frozen, I guess it is ok. But I wouldn't use them and auto killing is definitely never good.

GDP

Reaction score
Task Managers are ok because they allow you to kill apps that are causing problems, but automatic task killers are a waste on any version of Android after 2.1. Just don't use them regardless of what the Verizon reps say

capetocairo

Reaction score
If you must know what is going on under the hood, I'd recommend getting Watchdog Lite as it works a little bit differently and allows you to calm down applications that may be acting suspiciously.

Sent from a b.a.m.f. Thunderbolt!

duc13

Reaction score
What about using juice defender to keep things from accessing the networks when not needed?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
L

LOUISSSSS

Reaction score
so is it okay to have advanced task killer installed, but just dont use it to "kill all tasks"

if my android os requires a task to be killed, how do i go about finding out which one of the running programs to kill?

capetocairo

Reaction score
so is it okay to have advanced task killer installed, but just dont use it to "kill all tasks"

That is a more acceptable way of going about using one of those apps if needed. As I said though, watchdog lite does the same thing.

Preferences, I suppose. :B

Jacob9424

Reaction score
So is it bad to he using the Autokiller app for root users on the market?

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums