why nexus before droid?

Discussion in 'Android Forum' started by kingmmk, May 23, 2010.

1. kingmmk

kingmmk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any reason why the update goes to the nexus before the Droid? why does Google have such favoritism for the nexus one? What makes it more google-y than a droid? Its weird for google to play favorites with a phone that isn't really theirs. Sorry I'm just complaining in anticipation for the droid release...

#1 kingmmk, May 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2010
  2. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,455
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    The nexus one comes straight from Google even though they out-sourced the building/hardware, so they directly control the updates. In the case of the Droid, Moto and VZW (ESPECIALLY VZW) must also sign off on any update.

3. vedwed

vedwed Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ^ This exactly, something that comes from those who make the product will always get first dibs

4. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Administrator
    Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +8,455
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel XL
    Twitter:
    jonny_ks
    Not to mention that the n1 was the first phone to come with 2.1. They haven had any "major" updates yet at all until now, just small bug fixes.

5. LrdElderon

LrdElderon Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I know you're most likely right, but I still can't buy it (I mean what you said, not the phone.... eh lol ) anyways.....

Both phones are google babies. They were both touted as being google experience phones where google pretty much oversaw the development of them and what was put on. Yet now google pretty much tossed us to the curb.

Does Tmobile not sign off on squat? or what about htc? I mean google didn't make the phone so I would think htc would want to make changes just like motorola would and It's pretty irresponsible for any carrier Tmobile or verizon or any others to sign off on such a large update without checking it out.

As far as I'm concerned they should be going out at around the same exact time. The fact that nexus seems to get updates weeks to months before the rest seems to indicate that htc is given access to the early source code before it's finalized and released to any other carrier or phone manufacturer, not even including the rest of the general public.

What I want to know from someone at google is when do manufacturers or carriers get access to the updated code? same time? or are some favored over others (which is what it seems like) My personal opinion is that google should do what it's good at and code and carriers and manufacturers can get the code at the same time private devs have access to it from the public accessible repos/gits. Especially since they do a better job than the companies anyways.

I'm amazed at the things developers have done and I couldn't imagine my phone without all the work they have put into it.

6. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider Member

Ratings:
    +4
    When you buy a phone direct from Google and then go to a carrier like T-Mobile for service the said carrier is "Off the Hook" as far as technical assistance for the device goes and most likely tell you any problems you have are with the device so go deal with who you bought the device from with any problems you may have.

HTC has NOTHING (Zero) to do with the N1 once it is out their door... It's Googles baby and they are solely responsible for it functioning properly. If you want the updates as fast as Google releases them you need to go but an N1.

When you buy a device from the carrier (Verizon for instance) they are more or less responsible for BOTH the device AND service working properly together. They are compelled to make sure everything is working properly in every possible circumstance because they are the ones that will be getting calls when the device they sold you won't work on the service they also provide.

How would you like to get the 2.2 update and when some weird glitch develops that freezes or bricks your phone then Verizon tells you "We are working on the problem... it will be a few weeks before we have your phone and the thousands of others with the same problem working again"

Wouldn't go over very well now would it? Didn't think so.

#6 SnoDrtRider, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010
  7. barryp3403

barryp3403 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Will Verizon hold up 2.2

I wonder what the execs at Verizon have to say about USB and WiFi tethering built in to 2.2 and whether this will cause a delay in the release of 2.2 for our Moto Droids.

8. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider Member

Ratings:
    +4
  9. kingmmk

kingmmk New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes its probably better to wait and make sure there aren't any bugs. But at least they could've released the source when the update was pushed to the n1. Playing favorites in an open source community goes against the whole philosophy in my opinion.

10. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider Member

Ratings:
    +4
    If I'm not mistaken the source was released at the GoogleI/O conference at the same time Froyo was. I'm sure the OEMs have it as the developers have been updating apps to work with 2.2 already. I had a couple updates last night that said the update was for 2.2 compatibility.

11. SnoDrtRider

SnoDrtRider Member

Ratings:
    +4
  12. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    No, the N1 is theirs. HTC is just an OEM in that case.

Google didn't toss us to the curb. Motorola doesn't get early access to the code like Google does but that's not the same as "tossing to the curb" IMO. Motorola has the same access as any other Android device maker.

Open source just means that the source code is published and made available to the public. People attribute all sorts of other things to "open source" but that's all that open source means in the strictest sense.

Well, it's tradition, apparently.

#12 takeshi, May 24, 2010
    Last edited: May 24, 2010