Why Mod?

powerkatwedel

Reaction score
I'm interesting in rooting my Droid and loading a Mod. A few questions:

1) Why Mod? What benefits are there in the Mods out there that aren't in the stock OS?
2) If I Mod, do all of my current and future Market Apps still operate as they "do" now?
3) Where do I find the quality Mods, should I decide it's worth the Mod?

I've been a slave for so long on stock phones I'm not sure what all the pluses in Modding is.

Thanks for the input.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm interesting in rooting my Droid and loading a Mod. A few questions:

1) Why Mod? What benefits are there in the Mods out there that aren't in the stock OS?
2) If I Mod, do all of my current and future Market Apps still operate as they "do" now?
3) Where do I find the quality Mods, should I decide it's worth the Mod?

I've been a slave for so long on stock phones I'm not sure what all the pluses in Modding is.

Thanks for the input.

1) More control over the OS: removing stock apps, skinning, overclocking

2) Yes, in fact, you'll have more options because you'll be able to use apps that need root access.

3) There are a ton of subforums dedicated to the different ROM devs. Most of them have their own websites.

doublejack

Reaction score
The biggest perk of modding is tethering. For a lot of people, that alone is enough to make the decision to root / mod your phone.

R

Romple

To me there's three situations.

1) You hit a point where you say to yourself "i wish my droid could do <this>". Then you realize you can't... unless you root and maybe use a custom rom.

2) You're tech savvy and just like screwing with things.

3) You think you have to even though you have no real need and do it cause it's the cool thing to do.

To me 1 and 2 are great reasons and often go together. 3 not so much.

OP
P

powerkatwedel

Reaction score
Thanks for the thoughts. What's the consensus on what the better ROMs are? To be honest the Droid stock does a helluva lot (that's one of the reasons most people got it). So maybe I'm not thinking outside of the box enough to see somethings that are possible through Modding. Other than tethering, what are some of the extra "Does" that the Droid can do?

R

Romple

A big thing is theme customization. Changing how a lot of the stock UI elements look that you couldn't normally theme, as well as complete reskins and changing boot animations.

You can also uninstall any app, including the default ones that you normally couldn't remove otherwise.

Oh yea you can overclock your CPU. :D

If you go with cyanogen you can install apps to your SD card.

It's pretty much an endless list of what you can do.

OP
P

powerkatwedel

Reaction score
As for OC on the CPU, have you run across any issues, or heard of any?

Merritt

Reaction score
I'm kinda on the fence about whether or not to root my phone, I wouldn't have any interest in tethering, but I would like the option to customize some more things. And there's a couple of stock apps I would like to delete since I don't use them, and it would free up some memory for other things. Still haven't made up my mind, but this thread might help me do it lol.