Why is VZW holding back on the 4G's?

speedyroo

Reaction score
I am pretty peeved at Verizon lately. They're doing away with their new every two (which means I have a time limit with my last upgrade :icon_evil:), they're doing away with their unlimited :icon_evil: and now it seems that every phone I have been holding out for gets delayed (time limit here!) or turns out not being 4g! What gives, Verizon? Is it Speedyroo vs. Verizon? I was originally holding out for the Bionic, but who knows when THAT is coming out. Then holding out for i5 and now that's rumored not til next year. I was really excited for the D3 but now that is going to be 3G.....I guess now I am looking at the LG Revolution or the Samsung Charge since they're the only 4Gs I know about that have a definite DATE or are already out. What is it with Verizon not having mroe 4G options in their phones?

And regarding the expiration date on the upgrade - does anyone know if its 6mths after the early upgrades or 6mths after when the actual upgrades starts?

Are there any other 4Gs out there that are looming and most likely going to happen?

Are the Revolution or Charge good options?

Nausicaa

Reaction score
LTE needs to mature. You aren't mad at Verizon. You're mad at manufacturers.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
^ This. LTE is new tech. Verizon's not the problem. Expectation is.

Are the Revolution or Charge good options?
If they suit your needs. Selecting a device isn't a one-size-fits-all thing. It's a very subjective process.

now it seems that every phone I have been holding out for gets delayed (time limit here!) or turns out not being 4g! What gives, Verizon? Is it Speedyroo vs. Verizon? I was originally holding out for the Bionic, but who knows when THAT is coming out. Then holding out for i5 and now that's rumored not til next year. I was really excited for the D3 but now that is going to be 3G.....I guess now I am looking at the LG Revolution or the Samsung Charge since they're the only 4Gs I know about that have a definite DATE or are already out.
This is exactly why I don't shop based on rumors. If it's not officially announced by the carrier then it's not on my list. Taking rumor as fact is just setting up yourself for FAIL and frustration IMO.

Detonation

Reaction score
Verizon has 3 LTE phones out. That's plenty enough to satisfy the needs of the people interested in 4G. The large majority of consumers do not do tons of research or look ahead to what might be coming out...they walk into a store, talk to a sales rep, and choose a phone.

LTE is coming to my area in 3 weeks, and the dilemma I'm in is locking in unlimited 4g before they go tiered vs using my upgrade on a phone that's not really upgrade worthy. If they give a date for going tiered and the Bionic (or whatever it will be) is still a long way away, I'll probably just upgrade to a TB and then sell it to pay for the Bionic retail when the time comes.

AstroBoy

Reaction score
LTE is coming to my area in 3 weeks, and the dilemma I'm in is locking in unlimited 4g before they go tiered vs using my upgrade on a phone that's not really upgrade worthy. If they give a date for going tiered and the Bionic (or whatever it will be) is still a long way away, I'll probably just upgrade to a TB and then sell it to pay for the Bionic retail when the time comes.
< ^ This. I'm in a 4G area and it is time to upgrade my phone. Just trying to hold out as long as possible to see if there are any announcements of the Bionic. If not I'm not sure which way to go. None of the current 4g phones really make me happy to own one of them. the Charge has a great screen but old tech internally. TB is nice but has stupid design issues not tomention the other issues folks are encountering with it. the LG Revolution looks to me like the TB lite. Less memory, smaller SD card same pricce. But on the plus side it does have HDMI out.

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Verizon has 3 LTE phones out. That's plenty enough to satisfy the needs of the people interested in 4G.

ehh i wouldn't say that.... there isnt a single 4g phone on Verizon right now thats even worth it. maybe if one like the thunderbolt or charge was free but even then i don't think i would even consider one. They both have a looooooooooong list off issues that need to be worked out before they would be considered mainstream. my personal opinion is there is not a single 4g phone on verizon that is even good enough quality to even be released to the public.

Psykho

Reaction score
The thunderbolt issues are getting blown way out of proportion there are many tbolt owners on here such as myself and my wife that have no problems. Everyone keeps saying that it has too many issues the only issues Im aware of is battery life and reboots and as I've posted in other discussion I have a non rooted bolt with stock battery and can make it through a full day easily and the two rebootsI got were gone once I did a factory reset.

Psykho

Reaction score
I'm on 4g for 8-10 hours a day and my bolt lasts from 7am to 11pm with usually around 20% left. The rest of the time I'm on 3g and I barely ever use wifi.