Why is Verizons network so painfully slow?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by bks691, Mar 7, 2010.

1. bks691

bks691 New Member

I have been using my wifes iphone for the last week whilst traveling for work, and have discovered that surfing the web is twice as fast as my Droid. I guess my question would be, is safari that much better? Or is verizons network that much slower? :mad:
  2. nerdbox08

nerdbox08 New Member

Have you updated your prl?

I've never had a data problem myself.

It seems hit or miss I bit with the droid from what I've read.
  3. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 DF Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Where are you located? Has your phone been power cycled? How is your signal strength? Are you in 3G coverage area? The CDMA network is faster than the EDGE network, so something is obviously wrong.
  4. Bostonsfavson

Bostonsfavson New Member

Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  5. dwagner88

dwagner88 New Member

If you happen to live in a rare area where att 3g coverage is good, then it should be faster than vzw's, but not by a whole lot. Iphone speeds are usually a bit slower here in my experience but att sucks here. Do you get a 3g signal when you notice slowness? How strong is the signal?
  6. jsh1120

jsh1120 New Member

+1 on both points. Or at least a qualified +1 on the first point. Verizon and AT&T have had different strategies with regard to 3G. While Verizon invested in much broader coverage (and began sooner) AT&T focused on providing 3G coverage where the most people use it. Couple that with the heavier traffic (i.e. more customers) on VZW and you have a recipe for bottlenecks on the VZW network.

And yes, the Safari browser is superior in performance to the slimmed down version of Chrome provided by Google.

It's also worth noting that network performance is good only if it's good for you. Discussions of "averages" are pretty meaningless if you're in Montana where AT&T has no coverage or in Seattle where T-Mobile has excellent coverage.
  7. assmunke

assmunke New Member

overclock that puppy. nothing crazy just root the thing and go like 800-950 mHz. I finally broke down and did it and the thing is snappy as hell, completely worth it. webpages load so much quicker, its very noticeable.
  8. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Try using a blackberrys browser on either network. That's what I call painfully slow.

Welcome to the forum, OP. Interesting first post.
  9. bks691

bks691 New Member

I've been researching this and I think you're right, I'm going to give this a shot. Thanks!
  10. darreno1

darreno1 New Member

Hmmmmm, painfully slow was my 3g browsing experience with At&t not verizon. BTW compared to the stock browser, yes Safari is a little faster. I wouldn't call it blazingly fast. Dolphin blows it away imo.

My guess is you're not getting a good signal. Or... try Dolphin Browser, it's fast and free.
  11. samiusmc

samiusmc Member

If you think Dolphin is fast, try Xscope browser. It's Faster than stock and Dolphin.
  12. itwerk

itwerk New Member

Att's 3g > vzw's 3g but vzw's network has more 3g coverage.
  13. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

+1 for xScope.
  14. darreno1

darreno1 New Member

I've had both running for a while, switching back and forth between them. Xscope is very nice but the problem I had with it is it seemed to cache web pages too often forcing me to reload a lot. Dolphin was better in that regard and the new 2.5 is probably the fastest browser I've used, even faster than xscope IMO. They are close but I have to give the edge to Dolphin. If you haven't tried the latest version, you should.
  15. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Just sent you a PM

Mike
  16. jigsawkilr

jigsawkilr New Member

I'm giving xscope a try. never heard of it till now
  17. tarfin

tarfin New Member

I'm in the process of switching from an Iphone to the Droid so I can speak with some real-world experience. As others have mentioned the default browser on the Droid is a bit pokey and Dolphin is faster plus has tabbed browsing!

As far as networks go AT&T's 3G is good but the Verizon network isn't far behind if at all. AT&T only has 3G in major areas and the rest is covered with EDGE. When I bought the Iphone I was working in Ann Arbor which had loads o' 3G coverage. Now where I work there is only EDGE coverage (like most places AT&T services) so the internet experience is painfully slow.

Verizon's 3G network is built out very well. Where I work is in the sticks and I still get a solid 3G signal and the speed test app has hit 1.5-2.0MB most of the time.

I won't even get into the dropped calls, delayed voice mails or battery life issues with the Iphone. It's a great device but at least in my experience the Droid has been better.

YMMV
  18. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

^+1, get a good browser. Sadly the default Droid browser SUCKS!!!... it is ridiculously slow... xScope is currently the fastest browser for the Droid (and no you Dolphin lovers, this is not speculation, that from test results by LOTS of users). I came from AT&T and can assure you their network is not noticeably faster with comparable browsers. And given the actual 3G coverage difference their is no comparison.
  19. jrl9851

jrl9851 New Member

Ive owned both an iPhone 3g and 3gs. Webpages always loaded incredibly slow for me on att, and I'm right in the middle of an att 3g area.

Since switching to Verizon in December, it has been awesome. 3g has always been very fast.

That said, I now have the perfect combination on my phone. I honestly believe my phone with its current setup is better than ANY phone currently available.

I'm running an actual 2.1 ere53 rom, overclocked to 1ghz, and using the ad free app. I really do not see how its possible for the phone to get better. The webpages load completely in literally 2-4 seconds.

BB v0.6 2.1 rom + 1ghz + ad free app = best phone experience ever.
  20. droidemere

droidemere New Member

Coming from T-Mobile, my connection speeds are wonderful...never had a problem with Verzion...It's up there with some people's wifi speeds.
Search tags for this page
3g verizon network very slow
droid data network slow
is verizons network going slow
slow verizon network
verizon 3g network slow
verizon 3g slow as hell
verizon mvno 3g slow
verizon network is slow

verizon network slow

verizon network slowness
why is the verizon network slow