Why is Verizons network so painfully slow?

bks691

Reaction score
I have been using my wifes iphone for the last week whilst traveling for work, and have discovered that surfing the web is twice as fast as my Droid. I guess my question would be, is safari that much better? Or is verizons network that much slower? :mad:

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Have you updated your prl?

I've never had a data problem myself.

It seems hit or miss I bit with the droid from what I've read.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where are you located? Has your phone been power cycled? How is your signal strength? Are you in 3G coverage area? The CDMA network is faster than the EDGE network, so something is obviously wrong.

dwagner88

Reaction score
If you happen to live in a rare area where att 3g coverage is good, then it should be faster than vzw's, but not by a whole lot. Iphone speeds are usually a bit slower here in my experience but att sucks here. Do you get a 3g signal when you notice slowness? How strong is the signal?

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
AT&T *does* have a faster 3G network than Verizon (at least generally speaking). However, most of the difference in speed you're noticing is due to the Safari browser--it's blazingly fast.

+1 on both points. Or at least a qualified +1 on the first point. Verizon and AT&T have had different strategies with regard to 3G. While Verizon invested in much broader coverage (and began sooner) AT&T focused on providing 3G coverage where the most people use it. Couple that with the heavier traffic (i.e. more customers) on VZW and you have a recipe for bottlenecks on the VZW network.

And yes, the Safari browser is superior in performance to the slimmed down version of Chrome provided by Google.

It's also worth noting that network performance is good only if it's good for you. Discussions of "averages" are pretty meaningless if you're in Montana where AT&T has no coverage or in Seattle where T-Mobile has excellent coverage.

A

assmunke

overclock that puppy. nothing crazy just root the thing and go like 800-950 mHz. I finally broke down and did it and the thing is snappy as hell, completely worth it. webpages load so much quicker, its very noticeable.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Try using a blackberrys browser on either network. That's what I call painfully slow.

Welcome to the forum, OP. Interesting first post.

OP
B

bks691

Reaction score
overclock that puppy. nothing crazy just root the thing and go like 800-950 mHz. I finally broke down and did it and the thing is snappy as hell, completely worth it. webpages load so much quicker, its very noticeable.

I've been researching this and I think you're right, I'm going to give this a shot. Thanks!

darreno1

Reaction score
Hmmmmm, painfully slow was my 3g browsing experience with At&t not verizon. BTW compared to the stock browser, yes Safari is a little faster. I wouldn't call it blazingly fast. Dolphin blows it away imo.

My guess is you're not getting a good signal. Or... try Dolphin Browser, it's fast and free.

samiusmc

Reaction score
Hmmmmm, painfully slow was my 3g browsing experience with At&t not verizon. BTW compared to the stock browser, yes Safari is a little faster. I wouldn't call it blazingly fast. Dolphin blows it away imo.

My guess is you're not getting a good signal. Or... try Dolphin Browser, it's fast and free.

If you think Dolphin is fast, try Xscope browser. It's Faster than stock and Dolphin.

itwerk

Reaction score
Att's 3g > vzw's 3g but vzw's network has more 3g coverage.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

If you think Dolphin is fast, try Xscope browser. It's Faster than stock and Dolphin.

+1 for xScope.

darreno1

Reaction score

I've had both running for a while, switching back and forth between them. Xscope is very nice but the problem I had with it is it seemed to cache web pages too often forcing me to reload a lot. Dolphin was better in that regard and the new 2.5 is probably the fastest browser I've used, even faster than xscope IMO. They are close but I have to give the edge to Dolphin. If you haven't tried the latest version, you should.

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score

+1 for xScope.

Just sent you a PM

Mike