Why is this phone given such horrible reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bL33d

Reaction score
From what ive read the fascinate has the same amount of ram as the other galaxy s phones some ram is cpu or gpu specific so it does not show up as available. But it has 512 total.

And i played with all the new phones at the store before i decided to order a fascinate its just got an awesome design and it seemed alot faster then the other phones out. and 2.2 should bring a speed bump aswell.

Darkseider

Reaction score
IF I were going to get a new Android handset today on VZW it would definitely be the Fascinate hands down. A few friends on AT&T have the Captivate, all of which left the iPhone, and absolutely love it. I have played with them extensively and can say that the Galaxy S line of phones regardless of carrier are incredible devices. The only other phone on VZW I would consider is the Droid 2, especially now with the overclock method available to it.

SlvrEvoIX

Reaction score
It DOES indeed have 512 it was explained on droid-life. The processor is faster then both the snapdragon and omaps.

PS I love this phone !

Jvandyke13

Reaction score
So I got the fascinate today and I love it!! Just have a couple questions ..
1. Do any other fascinate owners have signal problems compared to past Droid you may have owned?
2. Does your fascinate take longer to charge from a almost complete drain?
3. Should I root or wait?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums App

SlvrEvoIX

Reaction score
There is a supposed "signal issue" which which I have found to be just visual ( as in the bars aren't accurate ).

This phone takes forever to charge for some reason , so yes it does take longer.

I just rooted 5 minutes ago. Getting back to stock is easy. Sooo IMO you should root when you feel comfy with doing so.

Jvandyke13

Reaction score
I took the shortcut with my moto Droid and used easyroot app when I rooted that. So I'm scared to do it the real way on this phone.

SlvrEvoIX

Reaction score
Go to xda-developers and go to fascinate ( of course ) . They have a step by step process for this phone. Its almost as easy and a one click app, oh wait it is a one click app haha.

If you lived in Utah I would do it for you haha.

j20hundred

Reaction score
It's being knocked because of all the crazy dumb things verizon did to the phone. It's a backlash. I for one am very happy there is a backlash. Hopefully it'll make verizon think twice before altering the OS too much in future phones. Yes you can argue "who cares you can root it", but not everyone does. 30% of ipad users have never downloaded an app, you think android users are much better? They're not going to root it. They will just live w/the bing stuff and wonder why their navigation sucks/etc.

Jvandyke13

Reaction score
Go to xda-developers and go to fascinate ( of course ) . They have a step by step process for this phone. Its almost as easy and a one click app, oh wait it is a one click app haha.

If you lived in Utah I would do it for you haha.

Thanks for the help. Could you send me the link to that xda guide ?

droidman101

Reaction score
also, since the fascinate only has 325 ram (not sure exact number) does that mean it cant load many apps without causing massive lag to the phone?

The droid x on the other hand, i believe has more ram, so would that mean it can load more apps without lag?

The question sounds a bit newbish, but i am a newbie to phones.

Thanks !

I agree, what does the Fascinate having less RAM mean? Will this cause lagging with all the apps being installed later on?

More ram=more speed
More speed=happier you

While(hardware-wise) the Fascinate has the SAME AMOUNT of ram as the X, about 2/5 of it is used to create stunning displays
Idk about you guys, but whoever thinks lcd>samoled or even plain amoled needs to be given a swirley in the bathrooms at htc hq(ahem dinc hardware makers). Lcd has better battery, but compared to the amazing display, the battery issue is almost nothing

sent from my shadowROM droid :)

Edit: also, what he said up there ^^^^^^^ hummingbird>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>(extremely greater than) omap>>snapdragon

ohfire

Reaction score
So I got the fascinate today and I love it!! Just have a couple questions ..
1. Do any other fascinate owners have signal problems compared to past Droid you may have owned?
2. Does your fascinate take longer to charge from a almost complete drain?
3. Should I root or wait?

1. Yes, there seems to be quite a large signal difference. But, be sure to look at signal strength and not just bars.
2. It seems to take longer, but it certainly lasts longer for me!
3. I have rooted and applied the voodoo lagfix. I am not impressed with this phone rooted as I was the Droid 1. I wish I had not applied it and I am trying to read enough to safely get back to stock. I need to figure out if I need to completely remove voodoo first, or just flash the stock recovery.

Good luck and enjoy the phone, it seems to have a lot of promise.

:-)

Reaction score
I am a new convert from the iPhone, I went with the Droid X because it was hard to find a review that was super favorable not to mention the fact that I wanted the Droid X for months and didn't want to be lured away by what I see as an iPhone wannabe.

However, the Fascinate is still on my mind. I was told, because I did not research it much before I went to the store, that while it has a 1 ghz processor like the DX, it is equipped with something called "hummingbird". I'm not going to lie and say i know right away what the heck that is, but it sounds good. However, after playing with both I still went with the DX. It could have been that it was what I intended to buy and my stubborn side took over. I have some time to play and then return for the Fascinate should I find some review that is actually less biased.

Back to the OP's point, it has to do with Bing IMO. I don't think that it's fair but I also think throwing Bing on it was stupid. There's no reason to favor Bing on an Android device, it only pisses the tech crowd off. However, if a tech reviewer can pull his or her head from their ass long enough to see past Bing, the Fascinate is actually a real winner and quite impressive. It is the closest thing to an iPhone without being an iPhone and in my opinion again, it almost gives you the best of both worlds. A similar interface to the iOS and the market that I seem to enjoy more right now, Android's.

This all could be new toy glow speaking, hit me up in a few months when the glow has worn off and I'm seeing the phone as a phone. :D

Jvandyke13

Reaction score

On the thread on how to root the fascinate one click method. It tells me to click on the .zip file and then do not touch the phone... So do i need to click on that file on the computer? Seems like i would find it on the phone(sd card) but it never said anything about tranfering it to the sd card.

Status
Not open for further replies.