Why is there lag with Android phones, and not the iphone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think people are thinking the word lag means like drastic time between touch and response. I have used an iPhone and even the iPad on a few occasions and the difference is atleast noticeable when I use an Android device. This in no way makes the iOS better and its nothing to worry about. At the same time I can't argue with anyone who says their phone doesn't lag because I have never used their phone.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'm laughing at all this "Android has lag" "Android run perfect" statements. If anything, this forum shows the inconsistency with the devices themselves. Why does every DX I have seen have terrible screen lag and then I get 10 ppl defending it?

ANDROID DEVICES CAN AND FOR THE MOST PART WILL LAG AT SOME POINT. This includes the mighty TB, I played with it at the VZW store. My friend has a Xoom and I can get it to lag (try using live wallpapers and see how smooth it is).

Does that mean I'm an iPhone user? HELL NO, the occasional lag I get with Andy is such a small price to pay for such a great device. But I'm not gone play ignorant to the fact of Andys biggest short commings which is homescreen and browser lag.

We are talking about a total different animal. Iphone does lag at times but for the most part it wont because it is only handling one task at a time. Android is handling several at the same time. Basically android os is working harder in the background than apple ever will. And the fact we actually have some android devices running all those taks, widgets, and services in the background with minimum to no lag as compared to ios just proves what android is capable of. The os are used for different things. Those with ios dont care about widgets they just want to click on an app and then do something else. Well while I am on my phone I am on my web browser, my weather service is updating, and my contacts are syncing all together with out causing me any problems. The lag you see was big for early devices but are getting less and less as the devices improve along with the os.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think people are thinking the word lag means like drastic time between touch and response. I have used an iPhone and even the iPad on a few occasions and the difference is atleast noticeable when I use an Android device. This in. way makes the iOS better and its nothing to worry about. At the same time I can't argue with anyone who says their phone doesn't lag because I have never used their phone.

To be or not to be........................wait what was the question? This signature has been Tapatalk approved.

I agree. I've said so many times in this thread alone that the lag is not something that makes the device unusable. But, as I also said, even the iphone lags sometimes and that software is optimized specifically for that hardware. the two are made to run together. so that's why its hard to believe that a fragmented unoptimized OS/hardware combo is going to have zero lag, especially when I've seen every android phone lag with my own eyes.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
What I find funny is that people with androids, including myself, have optimized our phones to run smooth. If this is a discusion about android out of the box then I should have never posted. I bought an android for that exact purpose...to make it run the way I want it too. If I wanted the same phone that millions of other people have then I would have bought an iphone.
You can't see my phone or the poster with the tb. To disprove what we are saying. My phone does not lag, transitions are smooth, app drawer opens and scrolls flawlessly.
Sorry for the long post. I have said what I wanted so I am done.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

+1. I absolutely agree with this.

Just to clarify, the OP said on phones "overclocked or not." I believe this goes for stock phones, as well as phones that are rooted and overclocked.

Like I said before, sure there is some lag due to scientific fact, being technical about it. But, in the sense that lag and delay are synonymous, I don't disbelieve people who say that they don't experience any delay on their phones, especially after rooting, modding, overclocking, and customizing. Is the lag technically still there? Maybe and probably, after all, it has to be because of the harware and software fragmentation. But if it's completely unnoticeable and one can't even tell that there is lag/delay, then does the lag *truly* exist? And does it even matter? I think not. Especially for people posting that they have compared their android phone next to an iphone.

And whoever said that android is getting closer to reducing lag with every release, I also agree. The newer phones seem to lag less than the older phones. Hero vs. Thunderbolt....

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
umm..there's like 2 guys in this thread that clearly state there is zero lag...not sure what you're talking about, they are correct...
/sarcasm..
lol...there's many reasons for android lag, and its not a dealbreaker, the phones offer so much more that the minimal lag is easily ignorable. there's only one reason to be in denial about it though...
What would that be? I love Apple products so it's not because I'm an Android Fan Boy. I don't see what I consider to be a lag on my stock D2. I'm not in denial of anything.
as mentioned earlier its not some lag that makes the phones unusable and you want to throw against a wall. but how exactly do you propose that software that is not optimized for the hardware, and is available on tons of different hardware wouldn't cause lag?
It's not like I used a thunderbolt and couldn't do anything with it because of the immense lag, but there is lag especially if you compare it to the iphone. devs themselves will tell you this (just like devs will tell you fragmentation exists). the people denying for the most part are the ones who for some reason dont want to admit it.
i dont know why people who want to defend android at all costs (not talking about you hook), think that software thats not optimized for the hardware it runs on is not going to lag. it has nothing to do with being a fanboy or not being a fanboy, it has to do with how hardware/software interact. software engineering 101. there is going to be lag on android phones simply because of how android is built and how its distributed. that doesnt make android bad...it's just how electronics and software work.
also, i never implied that the lag is so bad that android is a crap OS. It's far from it. The fanboys get offended when anyone speaks against android though, and that's just bizarre.
the lag is slight, and maybe that's why you don't notice it hook, but compared to the iphone it is absolutely there and that's how it is for every android device i've played around with.
and like i said, i find it hard to believe that i'm the only one on the planet who has the bad luck of touching android devices that are lemons, while everyone else is out there getting these super fluid responsive devices that defy all engineering logic.

I read back in the thread a little and found this. Despite my sentiments about the nature of some of your posts... yada yada, I fully agree with this statement/assessment of apple vs. android divide.

This is the very accurate description of the inherent difference between the two companies, and for "android fan boys" like myself (well... more so like... general apple haters.. lol) it is the frustrating reality of the situation which governs over how complete, fluid, and efficient our devices can ever become.

Beyond apples marketing strategies and unified image (which is where I draw most of my distaste from), their engineering capabilities (in regards to stability/consistency) truly exist on a higher plane.

Why? Because when it comes to producing high end computerized devices, they have a HUGE competitive advantage over the other companies in the same industry. On that cannot be ignored and is one in which I truly envy about that their entire operation. And that is that they have full control over BOTH hardware and software. They design the two to exist in perfect (well... that is the goal) harmony. They do not have to worry about fragmentation the way that others in the industry do.

All other computer companies are subdivided. The mass distributed OS, like windows and android, and the many manufacturing companies which step up to bring new innovative hardware and try as best as they can to make the two mesh. No matter how good at it they become (and they have admittedly gotten very good at this), there is no way that they can ever be as seamless as apple... because they design both. Apple makes singular products... and attaches them onto their "i" chain. Android devices all run android... but they are on different hardware components. That is why apples products are so "polished" so to speak... because they are one thing. Android devices open up endless possibilities due the potential variance in hardware components that could be implemented in future devices... such as the Atrix for example (laptop/mobile combination)... so the android overall... remains more "open" by nature, and the apple products remain more "closed" regarding their universal hardware build and general adherence to a refined, "singular" product as their main goal. Apples innovations come out with each new device... in a sequentially improving stages, whereas android the OS gets better in the same fashion, but the hardware is truly up to whatever the manufacturers decide. For these reasons the linear progression of android isn't as clear and makes it often difficult to compare these devices to iPhones... because... which one do you compare? Android users will always try and compare the iphone to whatever they perceive the latest and greatest android device is at the time. However... I truly believe that because android is more open... (theoretically) it could surpass apples products tremendously...

But what would it take? I think it would take a manufacturing company to act in a matter that is almost similar to apple, and truly design a product from the ground up that is specifically designed around the OS and bring fourths hardware advancements that capitalize on androids capabilities... or even better, capabilities on android capabilities that are being developed at the same time. Unfortunately... this probably is not going to happen, so the next best thing is to look to high end hardware companies like moto and see what they crank out. The next gen devices are already looking promising, and are much closer to a more complete and perfected product than before. Android will never be apple, and apple will never be android. I like android more because I feel like it is the developer and experimental branch of the two. I feel like android is more reliant on the community and a diverse array of manufacturing companies to bring it forward. I like the fragmentation is what I am saying. I feel like we are developing on something that is new, that is evolving.

On the flipside, I feel like even when you are developing on an iPhone... you are still within a certain framework... you are not really bringing it forward in the same matter. The product is already sound, it is already made... it is an "iPhone". I feel like an android is different... it is not already made... it is being made.... you make it... you craft it, you bring it forward. These are the reasons I like android and the reasons I chose to stay on this platform besides some of apples advantages.

Although I don't want an apple product myself... I can't deny that they are solid products and that they are cool pieces of technology... Just a different type of technology... not the kind I am into.

{{ WugFresh }}

Last edited:

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Apple hardware is solid but dont drop it on the ground. Because they are not solidly build. The glass crack very easily, oh and the reason I am with android now is because of a bad iphone out of the box. The ups store I went to to return my iphone , the lady said we get these atleast once every other week. Granted like android users I am sure people returned a bunch of good iphones but just did not know how to use the device. So what am I saying. The iphone is a good product and like many have said is optimized to one design. Android is constantly evolving and improving and through evolutions you will have hiccups. But as one person said, just because you say theoretically I will have lag, whether I realize it or not, If my lag is so minute it still semms like my device is running silky smooth then why would I care. I will take tha minute lag in exchange for widgets, flash, 4.3 inch screen, and the ability to customize. So basically, a lot of us are happy with android. The droid was built off of idont campaigns so naturally we will still have the ios vs android debate, and healthy debate is good. But if you look around android is increasing by the day. Android is outselling iphones in some areas, and iphones out sell android in others. In the end android will continue to improve and evlove because it is competing with a strong competitor in the iphone and strong competition is great for all of us.

Graymayre

Reaction score
^ This is the most complete and ultimate answer. That is it, the end, and should have no need for further elaboration. Any future Apple vs Android threads should be refered to this post and then closed.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apple hardware is solid but dont drop it on the ground. Because they are not solidly build. The glass crack very easily, oh and the reason I am with android now is because of a bad iphone out of the box. The ups store I went to to return my iphone , the lady said we get these atleast once every other week. Granted like android users I am sure people returned a bunch of good iphones but just did not know how to use the device. So what am I saying. The iphone is a good product and like many have said is optimized to one design. Android is constantly evolving and improving and through evolutions you will have hiccups. But as one person said, just because you say theoretically I will have lag, whether I realize it or not, If my lag is so minute it still semms like my device is running silky smooth then why would I care. I will take tha minute lag in exchange for widgets, flash, 4.3 inch screen, and the ability to customize. So basically, a lot of us are happy with android. The droid was built off of idont campaigns so naturally we will still have the ios vs android debate, and healthy debate is good. But if you look around android is increasing by the day. Android is outselling iphones in some areas, and iphones out sell android in others. In the end android will continue to improve and evlove because it is competing with a strong competitor in the iphone and strong competition is great for all of us.

Agreed 100%.

b-jammin21

Reaction score
Apple hardware is solid but dont drop it on the ground. Because they are not solidly build. The glass crack very easily.

My friend actually started making quite a bit of money because of this. On his college campus, he started repairing broken screens and was making a killing on it. And the cost for him doing it was actually LOTS cheaper than the users having to send their iphones in to have them repaired.

Anyways, well said on your comment as a whole.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I realize how this thread got off topic. Can we please get back to the discussion of the lag?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont think there's much left else to say on the issue to be honest. There is a clear and sensible reason why iphone wont lag and android would. Some dont see it on their devices and that's pretty much where the thread ends as calling those people liars obviously isn't the way to approach the subject. The OP has been answered though.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I dont think there's much left else to say on the issue to be honest. There is a clear and sensible reason why iphone wont lag and android would. Some dont see it on their devices and that's pretty much where the thread ends as calling those people liars obviously isn't the way to approach the subject. The OP has been answered though.

I agree. 18 pages on this subject without a war breaking out is amazing, I think we won't press our luck and close it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.