Why is the Incredible better than the Droid?

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Ok let's bash the IPhone with it's fake multi-tasking. And the IPad which is basically a blown up IPod.

I would rather have a Kindle.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
i like the look of the back, but its too round and "iClonish" for me tho. The camera should be amazing if its anything like the HTC Desire's camera. The Desire dosent have voice recognition like our DROID and the Nexus one does so i'm pretty sure the Incredible wont have it if thats of any importance to you. The physical keyboard gets better over time on the DROID and i really dont mind it now, its great when you just dont feel like using swype.

Voice recognition is a function of Android 2.1, unless you're talking about a different voice recognition. I'm 99.9% sure the Incredible will have it. In fact, I'm close to positive I read about it in the manual already.

The Desire is running Android 2.1 and dosent have voice recognition...heres a vid. And since the Incredible is also manufactured by HTC i predict it will also be left out.

Skip to 3:10
[video=youtube;Ec5rSL7HWc4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec5rSL7HWc4&feature=channel]YouTube - HTC Desire vs Google Nexus One[/video]

I see what you're saying now. Not sure. I know there is Voice Dialer and Voice to Text, including Voice Search. All of those are in the manual for the Incredible. Voice Search, you speak into the mic and it brings up the web browser with a search based on whatever you said. It also does voice to text for entry. Not sure to what capacity this compares with the Nexus, but from that clip, it looked like the Nexus brought up a web search based on the command. If that's the case, isn't that the same as the Voice Search on the Inc. or is it a different function that I'm not following you on? Trust me, its late and I may not be following you completely. :D

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
I would get the incrediable over the droid. Only thing the droid has lacking is the camera. 8 mp should be awesome. That and N wifi. Oh yeah and processor. Other than that not much difference between the two. I just want a better camera. If you want the keyboard than wait, but like the others i rarely use it.

Don't think the Incredible supports "N wifi." From Verizon's press release today...

* Android 2.1 with HTC Sense experience
* 1GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon™ processor for maximum responsiveness
* Friend Stream for unified Flickr, Facebook and Twitter updates
* “Leap” view for quick access to all seven home screen panels
* 8 megapixel camera with dual LED flash for crisp, detailed images
* Razor-sharp 3.7 inch WVGA (480×800) AMOLED capacitive touch display
* Optical joystick for smooth navigation
* Dedicated, touch-sensitive Home, Menu, Back and Search keys
* Proximity sensor, light sensor and digital compass
* Integrated GPS
* Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g)
* 3.5 mm headset jack

That's strange, I noticed that, also. I wonder if they changed something from the "leaked" manual that was available for download. The specs from the manual show 802.11 b/g/n.

eliassami5

Reaction score
Voice recognition is a function of Android 2.1, unless you're talking about a different voice recognition. I'm 99.9% sure the Incredible will have it. In fact, I'm close to positive I read about it in the manual already.

The Desire is running Android 2.1 and dosent have voice recognition...heres a vid. And since the Incredible is also manufactured by HTC i predict it will also be left out.

Skip to 3:10
[video=youtube;Ec5rSL7HWc4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec5rSL7HWc4&feature=channel]YouTube - HTC Desire vs Google Nexus One[/video]

I see what you're saying now. Not sure. I know there is Voice Dialer and Voice to Text, including Voice Search. All of those are in the manual for the Incredible. Voice Search, you speak into the mic and it brings up the web browser with a search based on whatever you said. It also does voice to text for entry. Not sure to what capacity this compares with the Nexus, but from that clip, it looked like the Nexus brought up a web search based on the command. If that's the case, isn't that the same as the Voice Search on the Inc. or is it a different function that I'm not following you on? Trust me, its late and I may not be following you completely. :D

Well if you look at the keyboard on the Desire there isnt a microphone button, same on the google widget. Im sure the Desire and the Inc. will have voice search for contacts and whatnot like a lot of dumb and smart phones have but the speech to txt for sentences and "complex" searches might be left out.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Download the manual and look at page 63 and 64. It does have the button for the microphone on the keyboard. It also specifically says you can enter text by voice. Page 183 describes the option of entering search queries specifically by voice and then the phone jumping to the net to search for options based on what you have told it.

Seriously, I think it does exactly what you're talking about. Besides that, you keep on looking at the Desire. Don't assume they are going to be exactly the same because from everything that's been coming down the line, its not.

eliassami5

Reaction score
Download the manual and look at page 63 and 64. It does have the button for the microphone on the keyboard. It also specifically says you can enter text by voice. Page 183 describes the option of entering search queries specifically by voice and then the phone jumping to the net to search for options based on what you have told it.

Seriously, I think it does exactly what you're talking about. Besides that, you keep on looking at the Desire. Don't assume they are going to be exactly the same because from everything that's been coming down the line, its not.

i was just speculating, never seen the manual but now that you said it was in there then i guess it does have it.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com

i was just speculating, never seen the manual but now that you said it was in there then i guess it does have it.

Its good to see HTC trying to advance instead of sticking with the same format for all phones. If you get a chance, download the manual floating and take a look at the info on the Incredible. Man its really impressive. Very nice integration across the board, looks like.

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
i like the look of the back, but its too round and "iClonish" for me tho. The camera should be amazing if its anything like the HTC Desire's camera. The Desire dosent have voice recognition like our DROID and the Nexus one does so i'm pretty sure the Incredible wont have it if thats of any importance to you. The physical keyboard gets better over time on the DROID and i really dont mind it now, its great when you just dont feel like using swype.

It also compares the Desire to the Nexus One which is also manufactured by HTC so you cant really make a judgment just by who makes the phone. Some HTC phones will have it and some will not. Droid didn't have it for a little while but 2.1 came along and we got it. Alot of it has to do with the firmware not the hardware.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
One of the main reasons I like the Droid is because of the physical keyboard. But now people are talking about how the Incredible will be better than the Droid. Why is this so?
They're comparing the specs. I can't say for certain if the Snapdragon is really that much faster in the real world (not even considering the possibility of overclocking the Droid). I've read things that argue both sides and haven't run across any testing that I thought was meaningful in that it tested the processor without running tests that also relied on network speed.

Increased memory is fairly straightforward. More is better.

As for the camera, more pixels doesn't hurt but it doesn't guarantee that the camera is better. I mean, for example, there are cameras with fewer MP that perform better than the Droid -- particularly in less than ideal lighting conditions. Pixel count is only one measure of image quality.

Should I wait a little longer and get the Incredible?
It's like any other device comparison. It's all about finding what suits you best. Beware of anyone boldly proclaiming that one device is universally better than the other. No one can even begin to make a meaningful recommendation as to which option is better suited to you if you don't provide information on you. What are you looking for? Where are your priorities? It seems extremely common for threads like this to omit this critical information.

Without knowing what you want/need, it boils down to the usual:

Compare the specs and features. See if any are top priorities for you and if one device is better suited in that sense.

If you can, test out devices in person to assess other subjective preferences (form factor, keyboard, size, weight, etc).

Last edited:

Darkseider

Reaction score
we need something short to call the incredible. it's too long to type.

I suspect it will quickly be nicknamed "Droid2"

Actually the Droid 2 is rumored to be in development by Motorola already as per an interview with Moto in Jan. of this year. Early hints say that it may be going by the codename Motorla Shadow although others are saying that the Moto Shadow is going to be the Nexus Two. We'll see but the Droid 2 from Motorola IS coming.

armeddroid

Reaction score
I changed my mind about getting it and will wait for the next phone and see what comes from it. The Incredible is nice and so is the Droid but there will be other phones. I am going to wait.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
we need something short to call the incredible. it's too long to type.

I suspect it will quickly be nicknamed "Droid2"

Actually the Droid 2 is rumored to be in development by Motorola already as per an interview with Moto in Jan. of this year. Early hints say that it may be going by the codename Motorla Shadow although others are saying that the Moto Shadow is going to be the Nexus Two. We'll see but the Droid 2 from Motorola IS coming.

My comment was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Mainly because trying to keep track of the names placed on various devices by manufacturers, carriers, and common parlance is more or less a free-for-all.

No doubt Motorola is at work developing another high end device to succeed the Droid. The name "Droid," however, is not a Motorola trademark. It's not even a Verizon trademark (though they've decided to make a "brand" line out of the term by designating the Incredible as the "Droid Incredible.") In fact, it's a trademark owned by LucasFilms. :)

I seriously doubt that any phone will end up having a formal designation as a "Droid 2" though Motorola may try to promote such a name. The fact is that consumers as a whole tend to think of phones in terms of carriers, not device manufacturers, at least in the US. And Verizon will do everything they can to create awareness of a droid "family" of phones.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Interesting tidbit buried in the leaked specs from Verizon for the Incredible...

"FM Radio capable (with wired headset.)"

Of course, as many folks realize the Droid is also "FM Radio capable." The interesting tidbit is the reference to the wired headset; a requirement that actually relates to the use of the wire as an antenna for the radio. (This is a feature of the most recent model of iPod Nano, for example.)

I wouldn't be surprised to see this feature opened up for the Incredible.

Krish

Reaction score
Phone looks tempting but i think i'd rather wait for a new phone or a 4G phone comes out like the sprint supersonic. Now that phones a beast. I thought that this phone was dumbed down from the nexus one specs.

dwagner88

Reaction score
People are making kind of a big deal about whether this thing has N-band wifi. I cannot understand this. There is absolutely nothing you can do on your phone that would require speeds better than the 54mbps of wireless-g. You will NOT see an increase in internet speeds, because I doubt anybody is hooking up to 100 mbps internet service with their phones, and even if they were, the phone can't render the information that quickly. That being said, if I could have waited until the end of the month for a new phone, I would be buying the Incredible, and not the Droid. The keyboard ain't that great.