why is the D4 such a pile of crap? yet another issue...

cs3

Reaction score
On top of the speaker failures, the keypad backlight malfunctions, the power button sticking, the volume randomly jumping up several levels for no reason, and all the keyboard input issues resulting from the last update, im now having yet ANOTHER problem.

During a call, I cannot input anything into the dialpad without the screen shutting off. So i cant access my voicemail. Whenever i try to type in my PIN, the screen shuts off. wtf. it turns back on after a few seconds, but i try to type in the PIN again... and it immediately turns off again.
this is such a stupid issue that i cannot even begin to comprehend why or how this would happen.

this phone has more glitches and bugs than any phone i have ever owned, including the original D1, and of course Verizon customer service wont acknowledge any of them.

kwyrt

Reaction score
On top of the speaker failures, the keypad backlight malfunctions, the power button sticking, the volume randomly jumping up several levels for no reason, and all the keyboard input issues resulting from the last update, im now having yet ANOTHER problem. During a call, I cannot input anything into the dialpad without the screen shutting off. So i cant access my voicemail. Whenever i try to type in my PIN, the screen shuts off. wtf. it turns back on after a few seconds, but i try to type in the PIN again... and it immediately turns off again. this is such a stupid issue that i cannot even begin to comprehend why or how this would happen. this phone has more glitches and bugs than any phone i have ever owned, including the original D1, and of course Verizon customer service wont acknowledge any of them.
There is a sensor, near the speaker grill at the top I think, that shuts the screen off when it is covered. It is there to turn the screen off when you have the phone to your ear. I'm guessing you are inadvertently covering that sensor when you are inputting your voice mail PIN. I had this problem too and have just learned to watch where my hand goes when typing in my PIN.

MegatronJE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Driod Tubo
driod 4 crap

dont feel bad i had my driod 4 for 8 mounths the battery was crap from the get go always running hot not holding a charge then after the updates ICS and Jellybean it got from bad to worse some times it would not charge at all it would last a total to 2 hours a day even with all the data switched off no email or 4G nothing the 4G is not as fast as verizon says or at least not here it did not download that fast my driod 2 on 3G downloaded faster then my driod 4 with 4G and I saw very little speed change between them and my Driod 2 still had a full battery and my driod 4 was dead flatlined so it spent more time on the charger then off it got so bad i just droped in the trash can and went back to my driod 2 the driod 4 was motorolas way if trying to copy the iphone with the built in battery but that was crap they need to stick to what works out of all the cell phones i have had over the years all of them were motorola and i used them all for years and years the driod 4 was the first one i thew away new because of its shoty workmanship i hope if motrorola comes out with a driod 5 they learn from their mistakes on the driod 4

OP
C

cs3

Reaction score
There is a sensor, near the speaker grill at the top I think, that shuts the screen off when it is covered. It is there to turn the screen off when you have the phone to your ear. I'm guessing you are inadvertently covering that sensor when you are inputting your voice mail PIN. I had this problem too and have just learned to watch where my hand goes when typing in my PIN.
Thanks for the reply.
However this is not the issue. I know where the sensor is at and I made sure to not block it. I even laid the phone flat on a table, not touching it with my hands at all... and it still went black when I touched the dial pad in any place.

This issue is intermittent and i have no idea what triggers it. But when it happens it seems like the only way to fix it is by powering down the phone and restarting it. Incredibly frustrating.

kwyrt

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. However this is not the issue. I know where the sensor is at and I made sure to not block it. I even laid the phone flat on a table, not touching it with my hands at all... and it still went black when I touched the dial pad in any place. This issue is intermittent and i have no idea what triggers it. But when it happens it seems like the only way to fix it is by powering down the phone and restarting it. Incredibly frustrating.
Sounds to me like it still may be a sensor issue. But maybe a faulty sensor rather than anything you are still doing. Have you tried getting VZ to replace the phone?

OP
C

cs3

Reaction score
Ive had the original phone replaced once already because the speaker stopped working.
The "screen off when touch dialpad" problem also happened on the old phone, and now on the replacement as well.

I think you are definitely right that it *is* a sensor problem. I just meant that I was not not inadvertently covering the sensor with my hand to trigger the screen off.