Why Is My GPS Logo On??

olletsocmit

Reaction score
Sometimes my GPS logo is on in the top bar. It is flashing the 2 green signal lines. Most of the time when the logo is showing, i have no idea why its on and what is using my GPS. Is there any way to find out what is using the GPS and why the logo is there, something to see why its on

Mojo

Reaction score
Depends on what apps you have installed.... could be weather, google maps, twitter etc..... there is a ton of apps that can and will GPS. If you are concerned just turn your GPS off.

OP
O

olletsocmit

Reaction score
When the logo is showing... I tap the map app and open it, then close it right away. then the logo goes away. its weird.

BzB

Reaction score
If you leave your gps enabled all the time there may be a few things using it. The browser could even use gps if enable location is checked in your browser settings. Some weather apps also check your location when they're refreshing depending on their settings. I generally disable the gps unless I'm using google maps. Having the power control widget on one of the screens come in handy for quickly turning gps on or off.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just turn off GPS is you're not using it... it'll eat away your battery anyway. Toggles are your best bet for quick on/off access.

zegolf

Reaction score
Just turn off GPS is you're not using it... it'll eat away your battery anyway. Toggles are your best bet for quick on/off access.

I agree. I use "Battery Widget" to determine my battery strength on my home screen. Clicking on the widget also allows me to shut off Wifi, GPS and Bluetooth without having to go into settings.

Fired00d

Reaction score

I agree. I use "Battery Widget" to determine my battery strength on my home screen. Clicking on the widget also allows me to shut off Wifi, GPS and Bluetooth without having to go into settings.
Thanks to you I have the battery widget on my desktop now, but can someone explain what the icons on the widget stand for? TIA

zegolf

Reaction score
It should look like a battery with a meter on it?

If you touch it, the widget should show a bigger battery with
Display
Wifi Off
GPS Off
Bluetooth

On it? Touching each of those will turn the respective items on (green) and off (red).

That what you were looking for?

Fired00d

Reaction score
From left to right I was wondering what the icons meant

Clicked on the first one on the left and it said "updating wifi setting"

Second from the left looks like a bluetooth icon

Third from left appears to be what I think is the GPS (turning that off/on)

Fourth from left - uncertain what that icon is

Last one looks like it has something to do with screen brightnes - Looks like the sun with light on one side and dark on the other.

Fired00d

Reaction score
Think I may have just answered my own question about the fourth button...

Is that the auto-sync feature? I see an icon in Settings> Accounts & sync that looks similar.

Rough getting old and eyes aren't as good as they used to be. :laugh:

LordKastle

Reaction score
You have the "Power Management" widgit.

Left to right:
WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, Sync, Brightness (3 levels)

zegolf

Reaction score
You have the "Power Management" widgit.

Left to right:
WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, Sync, Brightness (3 levels)

Yup. True Story. Mine is actually called the "Battery Widget". It's by mippin.com.

It's a neat little toy, but it sounds like the one you have is pretty much the same. That's the beauty of the Android platform. Pretty soon, WE will have 1000 fart apps!:iphone::icon_ devil:

mynameiserich

Reaction score
To be honest, I tried my phone one day on a full charge with gps on, apps that use it such as locale, etc. and my battery decreased at about 10% an hour. Today I turned all of that off, and still my battery drops at about 10% an hour...