Why is my Droid slower than my Wife's

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've had the Droid since the day they came out.

I got my wife a new one about 3 weeks ago.

I just installed Helix and basically formatted hers so it looks much like mine over 5 screens.

But from the day she got hers it seems to run almost twice as fast in every respect.

Any suggestions? (rooting not allowed in this thread).

MiXoLoGiSt

Reaction score
They should run the same speed but it may be possible they overclocked the newer ones a little bit above the 550 we are currently running at but i doubt it.

toddegreene

Reaction score
Do a factory reset on yours, install the same apps as on your wife's Droid , then compare.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've had the Droid since the day they came out.

I got my wife a new one about 3 weeks ago.

I just installed Helix and basically formatted hers so it looks much like mine over 5 screens.

But from the day she got hers it seems to run almost twice as fast in every respect.

Any suggestions? (rooting not allowed in this thread).

Just a thought, but could it be a specific app causing the lag? We've all seen that before...

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
The last thing I want to do is a factory reset and have to re-do my entire Droid - too much work has gone into it.

I was thinking maybe there was a Cashe or something that may slow it down...

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
The only app she doesnt have running that I do are the finance widgets.

toddegreene

Reaction score
How frequently does the finance app update? How big are the cache and data files? Does it show on your battery usage stats? The answers could be clues.

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't know where to get that information... any help would be appreciated. Finance does NOT update unless I tap the widget.

Nothing in my Battery Stats is ever unusual.

How frequently does the finance app update? How big are the cache and data files? Does it show on your battery usage stats? The answers could be clues.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't know where to get that information... any help would be appreciated. Finance does NOT update unless I tap the widget.

Nothing in my Battery Stats is ever unusual.

Go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications and find the finance app. Touch it and in there it will show the cache (which you can clear) and the storage information. Battery usage is in Settings > About phone > Battery usage.

toddegreene

Reaction score
You can set widget update by opening Finance, then menu->settings. From your home screen you can find data and cache usage by menu->settings->manage applications->finance. I added 10 stocks to my portfolio and it added almost a Meg of cache. Check and report back.

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I checked it out and it has 0 for Cache. I only added two stocks and I don't want them to automatically update since if I want to see what the price is I just tap the widget. That way it doesn't eat battery.

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I checked the cache of a bunch of apps. WHERE had about 1MB - I cleared that. K-9 had about 600kb so I cleared that.

Don't know what difference it will make.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
That should help a lot actually. Let us know if you see a difference. You've got me curious now....

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hard to tell... I am testing some of the many games I have on the phone and since 2.1 some don't work so I am testing and uninstalling stuff.

It's not a terribly bad chore to do:icon_ banana:

OP
SSHGuru

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I tested it out further and I've cleared many of the Caches such as Market etc... and the phone is WAY faster.

There is no program on the market that automatically clears the Cache except for rooted phones but there is one for non rooted that isn't automatic.

Any suggestions?