Why is everyone going crazy about the Nexus One?

LordKastle

Reaction score
People consider the Droid one of the best things since flash drives? Really..I see it as nothing more than a great all-in-one device as a cell phone.

When you buy a computer or laptop, do you have remorse a couple months later when another model comes out? These are cell phones and the same rules apply...for the most part every phone is confined to the generation its released.

You can debate all day about HTC HD2 vs Samsung Omnia II, but you being a clown if you think there is that much of a difference. Look at the devices available here in the US. The retail price costs about $550 and with contracts, it becomes cheaper. Do you really think one phone will much that much different in the same generation?

The Nexus is beneficial to tech websites and forums like this. The never ending debate about new devices keeps traffic coming. Don't let the online forum world fool you as reality.

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
LK,

Was just a metaphor ... :icon_eek:

For us who are involved in PC's, smartphones, IT and tech in general, we know that just around the corner there is ...

I'm just talking about the general characterization of the public in response here.

"When you buy a computer or laptop, do you have remorse a couple months later when another model comes out? These are cell phones and the same rules apply...for the most part every phone is confined to the generation its released."

Sure! For a moment ... it's human. Then I go back to my rig at home and have fun on it! :) I totally agree with you with your last sentance there.

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
People at the end of the day it comes down to do you want a physical keyboard, Moto's hardware and VZW's coverage or HTC's hardware coupled with T-Mo's coverage

Your Droid will be running the EXACT same OS and have the exact same capabilities. Nobody is out anything. So pick your poison.....

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just watched a 10 minute video of someone showing off all the capabilities and it looked exactly like what we have on the Droid... especially after adding the new gallery and dock. It looked very fast but it had no widgets or applications sucking up speed and memory.

If someone had told me it was a video of the Droid running 2.1 I wouldn't know better.

As far as the Droid - with Swype now I have a little remorse over waiting forever for a real keyboard. I find Swype to be superior to the Droid keyboard. So had I knows this in advance I may have opted out of a phone with a keyboard.

But there is no harm in having it anyway.

LordKastle

Reaction score
I find Swype to me more of a pain and hassle then an improvement. I'll take the default virtual (horizontal) and the physical all day over Swype...irrelevant to the N1 but just for the record.

daddyd302

Reaction score
Again..I'll ask... going crazy? Who?... people on T-Mobile who haven't gotten a phone since the G-1? The phone has had no hype due to it being grid-locked on that one carrier in the US.

If you consider tech-blogs as a form of advertising on the masses...then maybe.

The same people that jumped on the Droid and then realize the Nexus One was coming out, and took the Droid back? Not everyone loves Verizon as much as the next person. In some areas T-Mobile might have better coverage then Verizon. Maybe those people want the phone?

Not everyone likes the pull out keyboard, I personally hate it. They could of given us a bigger battery or more this and that, if the keyboard was not on board. The Droid could of been much better in my opinion if the keyboard was left out. I would of prefer a bigger battery versus the keyboard.

I would of taken my Droid back and waited on the Nexus but the unlock price, while decent, is not that appealing. The contract price is nice but it seems you're limited to one plan and it only has 500 minutes. Until we know more, which won't happen til next week, we can all assume this and that about the Nexus.

Last edited:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I find Swype to me more of a pain and hassle then an improvement. I'll take the default virtual (horizontal) and the physical all day over Swype...irrelevant to the N1 but just for the record.

Very irrelevant to the thread :)

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

asmallchild

Reaction score
People at the end of the day it comes down to do you want a physical keyboard, Moto's hardware and VZW's coverage or HTC's hardware coupled with T-Mo's coverage

Your Droid will be running the EXACT same OS and have the exact same capabilities. Nobody is out anything. So pick your poison.....

I like the option of having a physical keyboard but I would be willing to give that up for an overall "better" phone.

However, no phone would make me forego VZW's coverage. It's why I've been lusting for an iPhone for so long and why I'm so happy the Droid is finally here. It's as close if not better in many areas than what I've been waiting for.

I think people are going crazy about the Nexus One because it means our phone is no longer the hottest thing around. But hey, it's still the best phone available on VZW :icon_ banana:

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I for one do not get the hype and definitely agree with a lot of the points made on this thread. im actually getting tired of tech sites ooggling over it. instead of looking at it as another android device they get caught up in their excitement and unfairly compare it to the droid. Oh well, cant wait for 2.1 thought for me that's the true star of the show.

thesandman51

Reaction score
I don't really care if it is a better phone, I need a physical keyboard.

And I'll basically wait until the next badass phone with a keyboard comes out before I get another one.

Quick question, do you think it'd be possible to use the processor from the Nexus one with the droid? I'm not as techie as some here, just wondering if it'd be possible to put that snapdragon up in here.

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was of exactly the same opinion that I would NEVER buy a phone without a real keyboard.

Then I installed swype last night and was blown away. Now I would be willing to go without a real keyboard. It's that good and that fast.

And I'll basically wait until the next badass phone with a keyboard comes out before I get another one.

Quick question, do you think it'd be possible to use the processor from the Nexus one with the droid? I'm not as techie as some here, just wondering if it'd be possible to put that snapdragon up in here.

LordKastle

Reaction score
I'll give Google credit.. hiring people to infiltrate forums to post about random Nexus things to get views is a good idea...its a way to start from the bottom and work up towards the top.

:p

thesandman51

Reaction score
I was of exactly the same opinion that I would NEVER buy a phone without a real keyboard.

Then I installed swype last night and was blown away. Now I would be willing to go without a real keyboard. It's that good and that fast.

As awesome as swype is, I still don't think it would make me part with my keyboard.