1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Why is everyone going crazy about the Nexus One?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by acetwo, Dec 31, 2009.

1. acetwo

acetwo New Member

Google did not make the phone. HTC did

its just coming with android 2.1, which us droid users will get anyways

I would still choose droid over the nexus one cuz it has a keyboard
  2. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

HTC did the hardware, but it's 100% Googles phone. Google controls this device entirely... where as other HTC devices have Sense added to it.
    Also Google is controlling the flow of this device released to the market.
  3. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

And were stealing everything that is'nt bolted down on it.......
  4. Martin030908

lol, without hesitation. :icon_ banana:
  5. Elysian

Elysian New Member

Probably because of the Snapdragon processor.
  6. sethmo

sethmo New Member

^Snapdragon ftw :)
  7. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

Again..I'll ask... going crazy? Who?... people on T-Mobile who haven't gotten a phone since the G-1? The phone has had no hype due to it being grid-locked on that one carrier in the US.

If you consider tech-blogs as a form of advertising on the masses...then maybe.
  8. darreno1

darreno1 New Member

I care about Android 2.1 more than the Nexus 1 to be honest. I really don't know if it being under Google's control makes a difference. Only time will tell but let's say Google gets stingy with the updates (doubtful), you know someone is going to cook up a rom with everything anyway. It may not be official and will require rooting, but it will be available.

And like Backnblack said, those not into rooting will still get 'stolen' goodies to play with.

I would have been a bigger fan of the N1 if the speed gap was geater. But from what I've seen, it really doesn't seem to be anything to call home about. For people with a G1, Hero, or Eris on the other hand, it will be a big jump.
  9. Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule New Member

Because it's the next big thing:lifting:
  10. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

I also love how people make something out of nothing. You realize why Google can't get "stingy" with updates is for one specific reason. The developers will leave the Android OS. There can't be fragmentation of the OS or developers cannot profit. The Moto Droid will have the highest share of marketplace potential out of all Android devices going in to 4G...then it is a whole new ball game.

Last time I checked the MyTouch and G-1 did not do a whole lot of much for the app marketplace and that was after how long?
  11. bacalao

bacalao New Member

I'm with lord kastle on this one.
  12. Martin030908

Might have trouble 'calling home' with T-Mobile's coverage :) just a joke....
  13. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

The makers of the Pay Phone Finder will have alot more downloads... :)
  14. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

I can see why: It's just that seeing the supposed latest and greatist tends to give us a tinge of remorse.

We have the Droid, which collectively has been what we ubergeeks would tout as the best thing since flash drives.

I think we would feel it less if it was another year before they dropped this hardware on the public. We would have 2.1 for a while and be able to go

nyaa nyaa nyaa !

to the others who would love to have it but can't / won't.

I love my Droid, and I'll love it even more with 2.1, and I'll watch the supposed newer stuff go by as I do my 2 years until I can upgrade.

IMO it is nothing more than envy as you realize that HW wise, it may no longer be king.

In this case however, going to T-Mobile, I'm really not concerned.
    Could you see the ruckus if it came to VZ ?

:)
  15. darreno1

darreno1 New Member

Heh, well that's the other thing. Even with all the hoopla, you know most people are going to go the subsidized route. With Tmobile being one of the smaller guys and having a not-so-good record to boot, I wonder how it is all going to play out?
  16. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

People consider the Droid one of the best things since flash drives? Really..I see it as nothing more than a great all-in-one device as a cell phone.

When you buy a computer or laptop, do you have remorse a couple months later when another model comes out? These are cell phones and the same rules apply...for the most part every phone is confined to the generation its released.

You can debate all day about HTC HD2 vs Samsung Omnia II, but you being a clown if you think there is that much of a difference. Look at the devices available here in the US. The retail price costs about $550 and with contracts, it becomes cheaper. Do you really think one phone will much that much different in the same generation?

The Nexus is beneficial to tech websites and forums like this. The never ending debate about new devices keeps traffic coming. Don't let the online forum world fool you as reality.
  17. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

LK,

Was just a metaphor ... :icon_eek:

For us who are involved in PC's, smartphones, IT and tech in general, we know that just around the corner there is ...

I'm just talking about the general characterization of the public in response here.

"When you buy a computer or laptop, do you have remorse a couple months later when another model comes out? These are cell phones and the same rules apply...for the most part every phone is confined to the generation its released."

Sure! For a moment ... it's human. Then I go back to my rig at home and have fun on it! :) I totally agree with you with your last sentance there.
  18. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

People at the end of the day it comes down to do you want a physical keyboard, Moto's hardware and VZW's coverage or HTC's hardware coupled with T-Mo's coverage

Your Droid will be running the EXACT same OS and have the exact same capabilities. Nobody is out anything. So pick your poison.....
  19. SSHGuru

SSHGuru New Member

I just watched a 10 minute video of someone showing off all the capabilities and it looked exactly like what we have on the Droid... especially after adding the new gallery and dock. It looked very fast but it had no widgets or applications sucking up speed and memory.

If someone had told me it was a video of the Droid running 2.1 I wouldn't know better.

As far as the Droid - with Swype now I have a little remorse over waiting forever for a real keyboard. I find Swype to be superior to the Droid keyboard. So had I knows this in advance I may have opted out of a phone with a keyboard.

But there is no harm in having it anyway.
  20. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

I find Swype to me more of a pain and hassle then an improvement. I'll take the default virtual (horizontal) and the physical all day over Swype...irrelevant to the N1 but just for the record.