Why is DroidX better than my Droid 1?

Robin W

Reaction score
if you've only had the Droid 1 for 3 weeks, i would return it, regardless. you're still in your 30 day window. Droid 2 is coming out next month (DROID 2 Boy Genius Report ) it has a 1ghz processor, just like the X. and, they have revamped the pull out keyboard (if you have to have one) that looks so much better than the Droid 1. Droid 2 should come with Froyo preinstalled. also, rumors are that 3.0 is coming out beginning of the year. because they are phasing out Droid 1 (Motorola DROID, the End is Near - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog), my guess is that Droid 1 may not be compatible (or at least much less compatible than the newer versions).

with all the options available now (X, Incredible, Droid 2), plus the rumors of things to come, i would agree with the others that it doesn't make much sense to lock yourself into a Droid 1 for 1 or 2 years, especially when you have the ability to return it now with no repurcussions.

i have a Droid 1, and have had it for 7 months. don't get me wrong, i love it. i just got my spouse the Incredible a couple months ago, and it's great, too. but, if i had the ability to do so, i would get the X in a heartbeat!!

Thanks so much for all of the advice. I think you are correct. dancedroid

Robin W

Reaction score
Anything said here is personal opinion...You have to decide for yourself....
Pretty much this. If you are a tinkerer, you might want to use the Droid1, if you're not a tinkerer, the X is twice the phone without all the hacks. I'm keeping both, the original Droid will be my toy to tweak, and the X will be my awesome day to day stable phone. *228 makes it easy to switch back and forth dancedroid

If I were to keep both phones, the original Droid and then get the X on my extra line on the family plan, I would transfer my number to the new X.
Are you saying that *228 let's you change back and forth between both phones, on your own, without having to deal with Verizon? that would be awesome if that's possible.

Please let me know how that works, if you would. Thanks so muchdancedroid

Aximtreo

Reaction score

dancedroidYep, just power down the Droid 1, dial*228 and follow the prompts. It takes about 2 - 4 minutes depending on how busy the server is. I have the Droid 1 and the Samsung Omnia 2 and I switch back and forth all the time.

bjet767

Reaction score
No current rooting on the X is a killer for me. Right now I don't see enough features to switch from the 1 to the X. But maybe after the first of the year?

New stuff coming out beyond the X and the 2.

wsbsteven

Reaction score
No current rooting on the X is a killer for me. Right now I don't see enough features to switch from the 1 to the X. But maybe after the first of the year?

New stuff coming out beyond the X and the 2.

Who said no rooting? The rumor said no custom recovery which means no custom roms. Root is still possible though.

Robin W

Reaction score
dancedroidYep, just power down the Droid 1, dial*228 and follow the prompts. It takes about 2 - 4 minutes depending on how busy the server is. I have the Droid 1 and the Samsung Omnia 2 and I switch back and forth all the time.

THANKS SO MUCH! That's great! I would love to have both.
I hate to be so stupid, but I'm new to the whole Smartphone thing. When you say "power down" on the Droid 1 and dial*228, does that mean to close all running apps/programs etc, and then bring up the dial phone pad to dial *228?

Once you do that, what are you doing with the other phone?

Sorry to be so slow :) but I love the phones and I love learning about them.

Aximtreo

Reaction score

I hate to be so stupid, but I'm new to the whole Smartphone thing. When you say "power down" on the Droid 1 and dial*228, does that mean to close all running apps/programs etc, and then bring up the dial phone pad to dial *228?

By power down, I mean cut the power to the Droid 1. You can't activate two phones with one number. Powering down the older Droid allows you to transfer the number to the new Droid. When you power up the Droic X the first time, it will probably offer to activate then. If you are ready and have powered down the Droid 1, go for it.

Robin W

Reaction score

By power down, I mean cut the power to the Droid 1. You can't activate two phones with one number. Powering down the older Droid allows you to transfer the number to the new Droid. When you power up the Droic X the first time, it will probably offer to activate then. If you are ready and have powered down the Droid 1, go for it.

so whichever one you will be using is the one that is on at the time, and I can figure out what to do with the prompts from there?
(I love Young Frankenstein :) )

Aximtreo

Reaction score

so whichever one you will be using is the one that is on at the time, and I can figure out what to do with the prompts from there?

That's correct; the one that has power should be the Droid X.

Hump? what hump?

Robin W

Reaction score

That's correct; the one that has power should be the Droid X.

Hump? what hump?

"You know, I'm a rather brilliant surgeon. Perhaps I can help you with that hump."

Thanks so much for your help! I'm going to keep my Droid and get a new one too! So glad you shared your knowledge with me!!!

bjet767

Reaction score
"The rumor said no custom recovery which means no custom roms."

That's what rooting is all about! So why "root" if one cannot customize one's rom?

wsbsteven

Reaction score
"The rumor said no custom recovery which means no custom roms."

That's what rooting is all about! So why "root" if one cannot customize one's rom?

You can customize your rom but you can't install someone else's customized rom. Plus certain apps that perform advanced features require root access. We still don't know 100% if the phone will 'blow up' or not so I'd give the X a month to see if anything special happens with it.