Why is DroidX better than my Droid 1?

Robin W

Reaction score
Switch to Droid X from Droid?

I'm so confused! I just got the original Droid about 3 weeks ago. I love it! I might have waited if I'd known that the X was coming, but I had no idea.

I'm really happy with the Droid. I'm just a basic user. I like the pull out keyboard a lot.

I don't know if I should return my Droid for the X, or get the X on my 3rd family line that has an upgrade coming, then switch my phone number over and keep both!

I like the idea of the larger screen and faster processor and the wi-fi hot spot. Wondering how well PDA works on Droid for hot spot?

If I'm understanding correctly, my Droid will get 2.2 which would be nice. Not too worried about the camera. I have regular cameras that I usually use, so the Droid camera is just a great extra feature for me.

Guess I'll just wait and continue to read what you guys think about the X.
Any thoughts?

Thanks!dancedroid I Love My Droid!

tmoney2007

Reaction score
Why not go with HTC Incredible or HTC EVO 4G. At least those uses AMOLED LCD and color contrast is better than Droid X. Droid X uses standard LCD TFT.

HTC EVO 4G vs Droid X...muaha

Motorola DROID X vs. HTC EVO 4G (Phone Arena Reviews)

Incredible uses an LCD now. And with AMOLED availability being what it is, you'll probably see more phones using LCD instead of AMOLED in the future. The exception to this will be Samsung phones, since they manufacture the screens.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Hi all,

I'm showing up late to the game, so I haven't read the hundreds of posts regarding the DroidX.

Could anyone just give me the basics of why the DroidX is better than my Droid 1? I love my droid except for the slide-out keyboard but don't know if it's worth upgrading just for the "cool factor".

Thanks all...

Anything said here is personal opinion...You have to decide for yourself....

Xarrdroid

Reaction score
I now have both. Running Chevy no1 SS 4.4 froyo source build with 1250 mhz overclock. Playing with both, but love my X so far. I can switch back and forth if I want, but most of the things I had to root my droid to do, the droid x does without rooting. I love the new screen, camera, and hdmi is cool, although I dont know if Ill use it but imagine this. All the emulators while on the road with a PS3 controller connected to my X with bluetooth. Playing these and all media on TV gives me a great handheld game system. And with Playstation emulator in the works, could be even cooler. Plus ability to upgrade to a total of 40 gigs of ram. The stock 2.1 with update is very nice, lots of new stuff I have not seen in any custom roms. So, I am loving it so far. And besides, this will get rooted. Everything has been locked in the beginning and there is already one promising expoit that has been found.

OP
J

jodyberry

Reaction score

Yep, I appreciate all the info!!

Since I don't use the physical keyboard and don't care about rooting, I think it would be a nice phone to get.

It's a matter of, "I don't NEED the phone, I just WANT the phone"! (new gadget).

Reaction score
Pretty much this. If you are a tinkerer, you might want to use the Droid1, if you're not a tinkerer, the X is twice the phone without all the hacks. I'm keeping both, the original Droid will be my toy to tweak, and the X will be my awesome day to day stable phone. *228 makes it easy to switch back and forth dancedroid

qoncept

Reaction score
I don't understand anyone buying a NEW Droid 1 at this point at all, unless you absolutely have to have it TODAY. With the Droid 2 right around the corner, people that don't think it's awful keyboard is worthless should wait. Everyone else should be getting a Droid X or Incredible. The Driod 1 is inferior to these in every way.

I personally just ordered my Droid X today. After using the Droid since November I was able to make an informed decision. The Motoblur UI that I don't like can be almost completely hidden when I install Launcher Pro. The people that don't think it will be rooted and overclocked are uninformed and caving to baseless fearmongering.

That solves what people don't like about it. Plus it has additional features -- more memory, more storage, more screen and faster CPU. The extra screen size should make at least some of the people that didn't like the soft keyboard happy. From what I hear the battery life is equal or better. The only thing that would hold me back is having to buy new accessories, but I can deal with that.

OP
J

jodyberry

Reaction score
I don't understand anyone buying a NEW Droid 1 at this point at all, unless you absolutely have to have it TODAY

I think my OP got lost in the translation. I DO have a Droid1 and just wanted to know why I should upgrade!

qoncept

Reaction score
I don't understand anyone buying a NEW Droid 1 at this point at all, unless you absolutely have to have it TODAY

I think my OP got lost in the translation. I DO have a Droid1 and just wanted to know why I should upgrade!
Cut off my first paragraph and the first is my response. :) Basically, everything I said about why it's better isn't such a big deal that I'd upgrade if it was going to cost me anything. But my wife's line was due for an upgrade, so after paying the $200 and selling my Droid 1, I should break even at worst. If it wasn't due for upgrade I wouldn't even consider it.

OP
J

jodyberry

Reaction score
So where did you sell your droid1 and how much? How old was it? Thanks...

Cut off my first paragraph and the first is my response. :) Basically, everything I said about why it's better isn't such a big deal that I'd upgrade if it was going to cost me anything. But my wife's line was due for an upgrade, so after paying the $200 and selling my Droid 1, I should break even at worst. If it wasn't due for upgrade I wouldn't even consider it.

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
if you've only had the Droid 1 for 3 weeks, i would return it, regardless. you're still in your 30 day window. Droid 2 is coming out next month (DROID 2 Boy Genius Report ) it has a 1ghz processor, just like the X. and, they have revamped the pull out keyboard (if you have to have one) that looks so much better than the Droid 1. Droid 2 should come with Froyo preinstalled. also, rumors are that 3.0 is coming out beginning of the year. because they are phasing out Droid 1 (Motorola DROID, the End is Near - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog), my guess is that Droid 1 may not be compatible (or at least much less compatible than the newer versions).

with all the options available now (X, Incredible, Droid 2), plus the rumors of things to come, i would agree with the others that it doesn't make much sense to lock yourself into a Droid 1 for 1 or 2 years, especially when you have the ability to return it now with no repurcussions.

i have a Droid 1, and have had it for 7 months. don't get me wrong, i love it. i just got my spouse the Incredible a couple months ago, and it's great, too. but, if i had the ability to do so, i would get the X in a heartbeat!!

Last edited:

qoncept

Reaction score
So where did you sell your droid1 and how much? How old was it? Thanks...
I haven't sold it yet but they're going from 200-300 on ebay. I'll list it as soon as my wife decides she doesn't want to take it and start paying for a data plan. I also have a couple Seidio desktop docks, a car dock and case to go with it so I should make out just fine.

ken.gentry

Reaction score
The CPU on the Droid X and Droid 2 uses less power AND provides greater performance. It will probably overclock even further once it is rooted.

The Droid X and 2 also have TWICE the dynamic RAM (DRAM) memory (512 MB) which is a huge benefit going forward. Android 3.0 is being targeted at hardware with at least 512 MB of DRAM. By the way, do not confuse DRAM memory with Flash memory. There is no way to upgraded DRAM in these phones.

After hearing a Firefox developer say that it's Android browser didn't run well on phones with 256 MB DRAM I knew I had to upgrade. There will be other new apps in the future that will probably hit the wall with 256 MB DRAM.

krazyskott

Reaction score
cant wait till Feb 2012 to see whats out because thats when i could upgrade. Love the droid to much to trade it in. Father in law does work for verizon and basicly gave me this droid. He's getting the X tomorrow and he said if he didn't like it he would give it to me. I do have a table that is a little wobblie mybe i could use it for that.