Why is DroidX better than my Droid 1?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by jodyberry, Jul 15, 2010.

1. jodyberry

jodyberry New Member

Hi all,

I'm showing up late to the game, so I haven't read the hundreds of posts regarding the DroidX.

Could anyone just give me the basics of why the DroidX is better than my Droid 1? I love my droid except for the slide-out keyboard but don't know if it's worth upgrading just for the "cool factor".

Thanks all...
  2. killabyte

killabyte New Member

to be honest jody that's something you'd have to figure out for yourself. the two main features that interest me are a larger screen and recording in hi def. the hardware aspects of it are tempting. you have 8 gigs of internal storage and i think 512 megs of system ram. the standard 16gig card. it's running at 1ghz where as your droid runs at 550 unless you have it overclocked. i've been running mine for months at 1.2 with no issues so, for me, the increased processor speed isn't a selling point.

my boss just left and i got to mess with his some. it's nice. noticeably lighter than the droid and noticeably larger too, but it's not as awkward as you'd think the size would make it. there's not enough "extra" stuff for me to worry with trying to ditch my droid and get one. i have another upgrade i could use but i'd rather wait it out.

really it just depends on you. if your phone is doing what you want it to do in a way that you're happy with than it's probably not worth the upgrade.
  3. *22899

*22899 Premium Member Premium Member

It's not. It's not better.
  4. Darkseider

Darkseider New Member

At this point the only thing the Droid X has over the Droid is a larger screen. Due to the fact that it is locked down tighter than a drum and has an encrypted bootloader which means no ROMs I see no compelling reason to get one if you already have a Droid.
  5. Corinacakes

Corinacakes DF Super Moderator Theme Developer

Imo it's not. Sticking with my original. :D
  6. Speeding Wheels

Speeding Wheels New Member

depending on your needs it may or may not be better.
    if you're somebody who is happy with a device that "just works" and dosent want to bother with tinkering with rooting and flashing custom ROM's then yes, the X is probably the better device.

if you're a techno-geek that is always looking for ways to improve your devices then the original Droid is the better option.
  7. kpiskin

kpiskin New Member

Having just bought one this morning, it's not necessarily better than the original. It does have a faster processor, more RAM and more megapixels though. However the Droid has a physical keyboard and will get updates faster etc and can be rooted so there is the possibility of uniques customizations. It's about the feature set you're looking for. If you buy an iPhone, you have one basic feature set and carrier. If you go Android, you have phones that come in all shapes and sizes with enough differences to fulfill user desires and the carrier of choice.
  8. Another_Dude

Another_Dude New Member

I'd be interested to know how many current Droid owners (rooted and unrooted) would trade straight across for a DX.

I wouldn't.
  9. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

Same here, I can't see upgrading to downgrade
  10. Speeding Wheels

Speeding Wheels New Member

Today?
    No.

In a month or two when the hackers figure out a way around the locked bootloader?
    Yes.
  11. Chillson

Chillson New Member

For me personally, the screen and the little extra kick of the processor is enough for me to upgrade to the the Droid X from the original Droid. I have big hands and while I got used to the Droid, the fact that it has a larger screen, slimmer, and lighter is enough to keep me make me satisfied. Plus more and more I use my phone to keep up with news and reading books so this is all a plus for me.

The only reason I would suggest anyone to skip this phone is if they're hell bent on rooting the phone. Or if you want to wait for that 2ghz phone coming out, but for the life of me I can't see how that phone is going to have good battery life, which I suppose will all depend on how the phone is programmed and such.

Of course the best way I suppose to go play with the phone itself, and see what you like or dislike. I believe the biggest factor for the everyday person will be the size of the phone.
  12. smilepak

smilepak New Member

13. Mojo

Mojo New Member

Put all the hacking stuff aside.. The Droid X is better in every way.

4.4 in screen vs. 3.7
    1ghz processor vs. 550mhz
    DLNA support
    Wifi hotspot
    HDMI out
    Nicer Media function
    8mp camera vs 5
    Hi def recording

The fact that froyo is the last update the origanal droid will see offically

Almost everything that the DX has is better.
  14. Spanky

Spanky New Member

From what I've seen on the following review, the camera UI on the Droid X is way better.

The Complete DROID X Review

Please keep in mind that I did not post this review.

Can't wait to get my hands on the X......
  15. Dark Helmut

Dark Helmut New Member

i dont know if its better but i am getting one for my brother but i do get a chance to p[lay with it first before i give it to him lol
  16. Robin W

Robin W New Member

Switch to Droid X from Droid?

I'm so confused! I just got the original Droid about 3 weeks ago. I love it! I might have waited if I'd known that the X was coming, but I had no idea.

I'm really happy with the Droid. I'm just a basic user. I like the pull out keyboard a lot.

I don't know if I should return my Droid for the X, or get the X on my 3rd family line that has an upgrade coming, then switch my phone number over and keep both!

I like the idea of the larger screen and faster processor and the wi-fi hot spot. Wondering how well PDA works on Droid for hot spot?

If I'm understanding correctly, my Droid will get 2.2 which would be nice. Not too worried about the camera. I have regular cameras that I usually use, so the Droid camera is just a great extra feature for me.

Guess I'll just wait and continue to read what you guys think about the X.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks!dancedroid I Love My Droid!
  17. tmoney2007

tmoney2007 New Member

Incredible uses an LCD now. And with AMOLED availability being what it is, you'll probably see more phones using LCD instead of AMOLED in the future. The exception to this will be Samsung phones, since they manufacture the screens.
  18. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Anything said here is personal opinion...You have to decide for yourself....
  19. Xarrdroid

Xarrdroid New Member

I now have both. Running Chevy no1 SS 4.4 froyo source build with 1250 mhz overclock. Playing with both, but love my X so far. I can switch back and forth if I want, but most of the things I had to root my droid to do, the droid x does without rooting. I love the new screen, camera, and hdmi is cool, although I dont know if Ill use it but imagine this. All the emulators while on the road with a PS3 controller connected to my X with bluetooth. Playing these and all media on TV gives me a great handheld game system. And with Playstation emulator in the works, could be even cooler. Plus ability to upgrade to a total of 40 gigs of ram. The stock 2.1 with update is very nice, lots of new stuff I have not seen in any custom roms. So, I am loving it so far. And besides, this will get rooted. Everything has been locked in the beginning and there is already one promising expoit that has been found.
  20. jodyberry

jodyberry New Member

Yep, I appreciate all the info!!

Since I don't use the physical keyboard and don't care about rooting, I think it would be a nice phone to get.

It's a matter of, "I don't NEED the phone, I just WANT the phone"! (new gadget).