Why is Android so confusing to regular people?

artc33

Reaction score
POINTLESS discussion, exactly! you have a droid, your friend has an iphone, who cares! do you like your droid? ENJOY IT!

OP
novacane

novacane

Reaction score
I mean it's good that these types of questions are asked because it helps define the future direction that android can move in.

sc4fpse

Reaction score
The challenge is that people do not understand the difference between a phone and an operating system. Until now they have been tightly linked. If you really want them to have a better clue tell them your phone uses Linux instead of confusing them.

A sure fire way to confuse any non-geek/semi-tech-savy person is to simply say "Linux." From that point on, anything you say will go in one ear and out the other. :icon_ devil:

ldimick

Reaction score
The challenge is that people do not understand the difference between a phone and an operating system. Until now they have been tightly linked. If you really want them to have a better clue tell them your phone uses Linux instead of confusing them.

A sure fire way to confuse any non-geek/semi-tech-savy person is to simply say "Linux." From that point on, anything you say will go in one ear and out the other. :icon_ devil:

Yep!:icon_ banana::icon_ devil:

billyidle

Reaction score
Believe it or not, there is no single source in this world that agrees on which phone is better, it's all opinion.

slinky

Reaction score
Why is android so confusing to the mainstream/average user?
Because the stock software that is installed SUCKS WORSE THAN THE PALM PILOT.

Fortunately, Android is saved by developers who have created far superior apps that also actually work more reliably.

In addition, Google makes everything Googlized as opposed to agnostic and it sometimes doesn't play well with other products by other companies that may compete.

Lastly, it suffers from some disorganization and non-intuitive interfaces. It needs more uniformity... but it is getting there.

JCo352

Reaction score

My wife is a blackberry user who occasionally tries my phone and calls it a nerdy computer phone.
The comment is "tongue n cheek" but i understand her meaning.
Most people don't want to customize their phone- they want it at it's full potential out of box:
an iphone, g1, my touch and blackberry allow that, the droid DOESN'T (to use an odd phrase).

In order to get the full potential out of the droid it takes more work- but the benefits are worth the effort.

I can't speak for the mytouch, but the G1 isn't "out of the box" it was just as open as the droid. and it probably has more mods for it than the droid does. is it a better phone? no

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
A lot of the "normal" people that I know think it's crazy to build your own PC or customize one that you have bought...Now throw out there OC'ing a cell phone....I do believe they see me with 3 heads and speaking tongues....

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As Black said, I get the same confusion from people when I tell them I don't buy prepackaged PCs, I build my own.

zakany

Reaction score

Then explain that their DVR is running Linux.

I get the same confusion from people when I tell them I don't buy prepackaged PCs, I build my own.

How else are you going to maintain it, if you don't know each and every component in the box? Of course, the idea that one can maintain a computer is foreign to most. They just buy new ones every couple of years, as if that were normal.

JESSLYMK

Reaction score
So a guy at my job and I have had an ongoing debate about iphone vs. DROID. Of course while we are discussing this, other people over hear us.

One of our co-workers came out and said that the G1 was way better than the DROID.

Another one bought a mytouch after playing with my droid and loving it. And while he wasn't there my friend i've been debating with said that the mytouch was way better than the droid. And like 3 people agreed.

I told him that it was impossible because the DROID had better hardware/android 2.0.

He came back with, "Your phone is the only android phone, the rest are google phones." (This is when I stopped debating anything with him cause...POINTLESS)

Totally unrelated, someone else I knew bought a mytouch and he said that it was way better than the DROID and that he could do anything mine could. He said my droid was a "wack-ass G1."

Next time just show them the Google logo on the back of the Droid and truly rock their world LOL

RW-1

Silver Member
Reaction score
Then explain that their DVR is running Linux.
Or their router ... oh wait, let's not confuse them any more than can already be had...:icon_ devil:

Two types out there, those who will play with tech, and those who will never do anything more than what is necessary for them to accomplish a task.

We belong to the former.

It's like autoplay for windows, I surely didn't need it, and even those out there who are told put inthe disk and click run when prompted, still haven't a clue.