Why is Android 2.1 so much smoother/faster than 2.2?

jl8851

Reaction score
I've been using 2.2 roms for about 1.5 months now (bb, ud, ss, etc.) and I just feel like the 2.1 roms run A LOT better for some reason. Everything scrolls smoother, everything is faster, web is faster, etc.

Am I the only one?

gflam

Developer
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Well the rom i'm on now simply stunning i will agree doesn't scroll as nice as when i was on bugless beast froyo or 2.1 but i disagree with speed i don't see much of difference either slower or faster to me they're like the same exact thing the only difference is i get flash and lots of other cool goodies with froyo

jefbystereo

Reaction score
From my experience 2.2 is so vastly faster than 2.1 you could have told me you gave me a different (faster) phone and I would have believed it.

soonster

Reaction score
I've been using 2.2 roms for about 1.5 months now (bb, ud, ss, etc.) and I just feel like the 2.1 roms run A LOT better for some reason. Everything scrolls smoother, everything is faster, web is faster, etc.

Am I the only one?

my friend also restored his 2.1 BB rom, but I feel that 2.2 bb.4 is way faster with LaunchPro. guess we'll compare the performance once we meet up on a weekend.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I Don't run any ROM. Froyo blows 2.1 away. I mean its not even a race.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Am I the only one?

You need to reinstall your 2.2 rom after doing a wipe. You need to look at your settings (something is wrong on your phone). All of the 2.2 roms I've tried do everything faster and smoother than any 2.1 rom I've used. I've been rooted since January so I've tried quite a few. :)

Josefius

Reaction score
The JIT compiler is supposed to help app performance tremendously. I don't see why it would be as slow or slower than 2.1. I hope the update comes soon since I don't root.

erikfig

Reaction score

Am I the only one?

Are you nuts??!!! LOL!! 2.2 Bugledd Beast v0.4 is stuning and vlazinf super more faster than 2.1, Specially if you install Launcher PRO.

I've been rooted since my 3th day with my Droid and believe me, I tried all the roms for 2.1, including Cyanogenmod and nothing compare with Froyo...

No complains here!!!!!! :icon_ banana:dancedroid

erikfig

Reaction score
The JIT compiler is supposed to help app performance tremendously. I don't see why it would be as slow or slower than 2.1. I hope the update comes soon since I don't root.

If you don't root you don't really own your Droid! :icon_eek:

MrC1122

Reaction score

Am I the only one?

you may not be the only one, but you are certainly one of the few. froyo blows eclair away as if it was never there! you must have done something wrong. wipe data and cashe 3 times each then reflash.

Droids

Reaction score
I've been here since the beginning, rooted as soon as root was available, used lots of roms, currently on BB 4, and I can't tell the difference between 2.1 and 2.2. My browser is faster but I think that's only because I just switched to xScope. I'm thinking though, that if I went back to 2.1 I might notice a slowdown, just a gut feeling that 2.2 may be a bit faster but it certainly isn't night and day. I'm withholding judgment though, until I can run an official OTA 2.2 rom, or Cyanogen 6. And yeah I always wipe at least once. And I do like the features of 2.2 so I'm not going back. In fact I decided not to buy the X until it has official 2.2 on it.

???

Reaction score
i totally agree with the OP. ive wipped every way 10different times trying different 2.2. from the first leak to roms and 2.1 just plain works better. my phone runs way hotter, it reloads every damn web page if i leave the browser for anything and come back.

the rom im running now defaults to 700meg and its still super laggy after a few days. i normally set cpu to min 550 make 1k to get close to stock 2.1 feeling.

i reboot a few times a day, but it doesnt really help. hell even my boot screen lags a few times lol.

someone give me 2.0.1 gallery, 2.1os and flash and id be happy. but 2.2 isnt all its cracked to be up for me. but flash makes it worth it, i guess. flash plays laggy too, but im hoping that gets better.

MrC1122

Reaction score
i totally agree with the OP. ive wipped every way 10different times trying different 2.2. from the first leak to roms and 2.1 just plain works better. my phone runs way hotter, it reloads every damn web page if i leave the browser for anything and come back.

the rom im running now defaults to 700meg and its still super laggy after a few days. i normally set cpu to min 550 make 1k to get close to stock 2.1 feeling.

i reboot a few times a day, but it doesnt really help. hell even my boot screen lags a few times lol.

someone give me 2.0.1 gallery, 2.1os and flash and id be happy. but 2.2 isnt all its cracked to be up for me. but flash makes it worth it, i guess. flash plays laggy too, but im hoping that gets better.

have you tried a different kernel? that could make a huge difference.

???

Reaction score

have you tried a different kernel? that could make a huge difference.

just the p3 ones and chevys's both low voltage and ulv ones. all the way from .8 to 1k. chevys run cooler for sure. but still not like the 2.1 ones.