Why is a Droid better than an I-phone?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Nontechperson, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Nontechperson

Nontechperson New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having problems with the sound quality on my new HTC Incredible. Went to Verizon to do a return today (Im within the 30 days) and realized that (since I was all out of my contract when I got the Incredible) I can get out of my Verizon contract with no fee and go get an I-phone instead.

With the sound quality problems being an issue for many people, I'm worried that my replacement Incredible won't be any better. Obviously I don't want to be stuck for 2 years with a bad sounding phone. The only other phone I have any interest in is the I-phone.

Due to the 30 day time limit, within the next day I'm going to have to decide: Get the heck out of this contract and go get an I-phone, or take my chances that the next Incredible they send me will sound better.

Since everyone here obviously has a Droid and not an I-phone, my question is: (Besides the great camera on the Incredible) what makes a Droid better than an I-phone? What would be a good reason to stick with the Droid and take my chances that it won't sound awful vs. just getting the I-phone instead.

Thanks

edited to add: Do the 30 days start from the day I bought the phone (when it was not in stock) or from the day I recieved the phone by mail?

2. ShowTime

ShowTime Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Verizon > AT&T
    multitasking
    freedom

3. pyro6128

pyro6128 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +8
    It depends. If phone service is important to you, than an iphone isn't for you. If you want to stay with verizon but not get an incredible, i recommend either getting a Droid (Moto Droids are the real droids, the Incredibles just use their name to piggyback on the droids popularity), or maybe getting an Xtreme (formerly the shadow). The Droid has great sound quality and the volume goes pretty damn high, but at this point, with a new phone coming out so soon, it may be in your best interest to look into the Xtreme. You should read up on it and see if its something you would be interested in, if not, go Droid. However, all that being said, if you don't really care about your carrier, and don't mind having spotty service and some dropped calls, than you should go with the iphone. I have friends that don't care about cell service at all and love their iphones. I also have a friend on a family plan who is stuck with an iphone and cant go to verizon, who always complains about how he can't stand that his calls always get dropped. Hope that helps a bit.

4. Xerozix

Xerozix Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Let's look at some Pros and Cons of the iPhone and Android. I personally own both.

Android Pros:
    MultiTasking
    MUCH more free applications
    QR Codes
    REAL Camera
    REAL Video
    Open Source
    Verizon 3G Network

Android Cons:
    Lags at times with slower phones (Though fixed in 2.2 FROYO)
    Sometimes is buggy

iPhone Pros:
    Fast
    Has good games
    Has Media Player on Lockscreen

iPhone Cons:
    AT&T 3G/Edge
    No Multitasking Support (Though supported in OS4)
    Most apps in the store cost money
    Jailbreaking is much harder than Android
    Closed Source
    Stupid guy on the commercials

Depends on what you want. And that last con for the iPhone, don't count that. I just had to add it in. haha.

5. samredman

samredman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you are a techy like me, Droid is better, otherwise go with the iPhone. Droid is not intuitive, but far more capable, so it depends on your situation.

6. verian

verian Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    How exactly is a rainbow made, how exactly does a posi-track in a charger's rear end work it just does. Droid does.

quote used from Joe Dirt.

7. him

him Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Apple OS<Android....that's your real battle.

8. Diordna

Diordna Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Look in my signature, the Droids pictures i made. The second picture I made is a picture of a legendary battle with these two smart phones. And look how much HP the Droid still has.

Maybe the Incredible would have more or a little less HP, but the end result is the same.

9. ilikefishes

ilikefishes Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Love the Joe Dirt. Just watched it a couple of nights ago.
    I had an iphone and it was really cool that I could change the lock screen to whatever I wanted it to be. Then the Droid came out and I could change whatever I wanted on it. Wow, open source, I am free, icrap was immediately given away.

10. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +22
    I have a Droid (personal phone) and iPhone (work phone). Verizon has better coverage and the Droid has the Android OS and both of those are a big win over the iPhone.

I don't like the iPhone OS at all. It's very restrictive feeling in how and what you can do. It feels like Apple thinks I'm a complete idiot and tries to dumb every aspect of the phone down so that I can understand it....and that reason gives the feel of the phone a restrictive and confining aspect in use.

Yes...my iPhone is jailbroken too.....still doesn't change much. If work wasn't paying the bill on it....there is no way I would own one of these. I use it for work calls/email and that's it. Looking in to dual-booting Android on it so I can finally make it useful :)

(all my personal opinion...experiences with dumb phones, blackberry, windows mobile, iPhone and Android....we support BlackBerry, Android, WM and Iphone where I work for connecting to Exchange).

11. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Nothing.

One may be better suited to you than the other, however. Determining which is your judgment call since you haven't shared your needs/wants. This thread is just going to devolve into fanboy recommendations like other device comparison threads.

12. Beardface

Beardface Active Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Lets put it this way... if you like customizing, then stick with the Droid.

Widgets and wallpapers are not possible on the iPhone. For that reason, I will never own one. Plus, you can download apps on the Droid that make it appear to be very similar to the iPhone. Oh, and it is impossible to multi-task on the iPhone. Apps do not run in the background, and if they do, and you cannot pull down the notification bar to switch from one app to another, so in order to check email or texts, you have to back out of the current app and then enter the other.

However, if you prefer to use your phone to listen to music, then get the iPhone, because the music software works seamlessly. In terms of that, and the syncing with iTunes, the Apple devices are still way out in front.

13. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Bad news for the OP. You don't get 30 days to get out of your contract, you only get 3 days. You can pick another phone during the 30 day trial, but your contract with Verizon is solid after the first 3 days. The only way out is to buy your way out of the contract.

14. deathshead

deathshead Member

Ratings:
    +0

This is simply NOT the case, I have had an iphone for 2 years now,
    Wallpapers and widgets ARE possible and extremely easy to setup, as are themes.

Multi tasking has been around (unofficially) for about 2 years as well using a program called backgrounder, and works well, you can even setup backgrounder to work like helicopter mode or like a palm pre showing you the current running apps.

My beef with the iPhone and the reason why I want to go with the new Shadow/extreme is the following,.

First off, Browsing the web on the iPhone SUCKS, its slow and many pages do not work correctly without flash, (or you get a watered down iPhone website.)

After 2 years, im just sick and tired of the iPhone os, to me its old hat and boring, and OS 4.0 is just more of the same with these so-called "NEW" features that have been around now for a long time. Same with the iPhone 3g, it records video just fine. BUT Apple and jobs took it out on spite to sell more 3GS phones instead Jailbreak and record all the video you want with the 3g.

I couldn't stand dealing with iphone os for another 2 years...

Apps, Yea there ARE some cool games and apps for the iphone, but I end up playing with them for 5 minutes and never touch them again. Many games are terrible to play on a touchscreen, no matter HOW good it is...

99% of the appstore apps for the iphone are complete rubbish,

But one good point about the iphone is that all "major" apps hit the iphone first and eventually get Android support for instance the XM-Sirius satellite radio app, this was a big deal in the Android world but has been out FOREVER on the iphone and are usually pretty crappy in comparision in looks and performance like the Facebook app. -This really needs to be fixed.

While iPhone 4 will have a very high resolution screen, its still TINY and looks old hat compared to phones like the evo and the new shadow-xtreme, They did this so all the older apps would still work..

I like the new bigger screens better to surf the web, and have the ability to view a website like it was intended on a PC, and perform like it too, this is when I decided that my next handset will be a new-gen Android device.

Itunes? HAH I HAAAAAAAATE itunes and syncing up my iphone with it, first off its slow ass balls.. im talking SLOW..

Secondly, I like to dictate what I do with my media files in my own folders, its so much simpler for me to take my folders in windows and drag them to the phone and be good to go... I can do this with an Android device.

Im just hoping the Android market gets better with faster releases or releases as the same time as the iPhone, because even browsing the android market website it seems to suck pretty hard, Unless im going to the wrong site?

Android.com - Market

seems like the content is scattered here and there and hard to find anything usefull.

I depend heavily on the following apps on the iPhone, but havent been able to find anything too similar for Android,.

Jaddu RDP client,
    NAVIGON
    facebook - (hopefully the FULL pc web version on froyo with flash??)
    Orblive (stream my media collection to my phone.)
    XM Skydock. (a really nice car dock that integrates XM-Sirius satellite radio, looks like i will have to buy a permenant XM radio for my car.)

Then we have AT&T's service. terrible in my area, I have 2 iPhones currently, mine and my wifes, and we were promised new towers were going in, etc and 18 mo. into our contract we STILL cant use the phones at our house.

71 minutes we used out of our plan last month and we curently have OVER 10,000 rollover minutes,... I called and called to try and get a fem-to-cell unit but its release keeps getting pushed back.

ATT agreed to give us a 3 month credit on our bill and that was that,.. so I should be able to get right out of my contract pretty easily without paying an ETF.

Verizon in my area, while not too good as far as DATA coverage shows full voice coverage in my area, (very rural part of NE PA.)

And thats about all that I see is currently missing with Android, however I never actually USED an Android device for more than 4-5 minutes so i could be very wrong here, someone set me straight.

Any other questions about the iPhone? to one of the OP earlier in this thread, Jailbreaking is not hard, infact a child can do it,.
    you plug your phone in, run an app like blackra1n, click GO,. and the phone reboots.. thats it...

I hope this shed some light on the other side of the fence.

Update: wow, ok it looks like we DO have Navigon, Orblive and a comparable RDP client for Android.. cool.

15. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

Ratings:
    +292
    I'm not sure if that's right, hook. Or at least, if that's in writing, if they hold to it. Unless it varies by region...

Keep in mind, I did this all through Best Buy, and we were coming from a prepaid contract with T-Mobile, so it was a brand new account. But I started with an iPhone... after a week, switched it out for a Droid... after another week or so, switched back to the iPhone... and finally (and thankfully) ended up with the Droid a week later. Yes, that's a little crazy, but if I was going to commit to something for 2 years, I wanted to make sure I liked it and knew exactly what I was getting into.

It created a few billing headaches just b/c of that being something a normal, sane person wouldn't do, but I didn't have to pay a single early termination fee for any of it.