Why if I'm on ESE53 2.1 is there an update waiting?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Jim 777, Apr 17, 2010.

1. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

So as the title says, I'm running ESE53 2.1 and while exploring around I see that there's an update waiting for me if I just press the button.... the 2.1 update.

I thought that once I rooted (correctly, via Matt3ew's tutorial) that the update wouldn't show it's face? Furthermore, would the update screw everything I've done? What's the skinny on the update with 2.1 based ROMs?

Jim
  2. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

allow it you will be fine...

the update will not be able to patch the modified system files.

edit: see below for secondary verification. This comes via Droidmod

I thought I would post some clarification about the 2.1 OTA update, since there is a shockingly large amount of misinformation being spread throughout the community. If you are running DroidMod, you should accept the 2.1 update. The phone will reboot in to recovery, and SPRecovery will block the update outright. Even if you are not running SPRecovery, there’s really nothing to worry about, because the pre-install checks internal to the update will fail, and the update will not be applied anyways.

Many people have been renaming otacerts.zip to stop the notification from appearing, so I’d like to address that. Renaming otacerts.zip will indeed stop the notifications from being presented to you, but it does so by breaking the updater mechanism in a way that makes it think that the update file is corrupt. This will cause it to re-download the update file indefinitely, which will severely impact your battery life. This is why we didn’t remove the file from the ROM entirely.

So, to put it simply, if you are running any non-stock ROM at all, you can safely “accept” the 2.1 update to stop the notifications; the update will not be able to patch the modified system files, and will not make any changes to your phone.
  3. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

CK, thanks and you were right.... sort of. I applied the update and it downloads it, then displays the beginning message with "phone needs to reboot" at top. After reboot, no change.

Oh well, I'm good. Didn't mess anything up.
  4. Myth

Myth New Member

I'm running sg 6 too and iaccepted the update, it downloaded but then nothing happened. When I restarted myself, it booted normally and the update notification is still there.
  5. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Myth, which recovery system are u using, SP or CWMod?

I did this to get rid of the notification: (I used SPRecovery) rebooted into recovery, chose install update.zip. BUT i didnt chose the allow update.zip option right above it. Dont use the allow update.zip option and u will be good. It will tell u right there in recovery that it failed.
  6. Myth

Myth New Member

I'm using SP. I don't get the notification in the status bar, just if I go look in settings. There's no harm is just leaving it like that, right?

Also, where did the update.zip get downloaded to when I got it OTA? I don't see it on my SD card and I'd like to delete it, especially if it downloaded to my phone.
  7. NeverEndingXsin

NeverEndingXsin New Member

So if I'm running cyanogenmod is my phone still trying to dl the update? Or am I good to go?
  8. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

There's notifications in the notification bar? Hmm, like mentioned above, I wouldn't have noticed if I didn't look in the "About Phone" settings.
  9. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

With any ESE81 based ROM, it shouldln't. Any of the latest ROM it shouldn't. I'm tired and drunk right now, someone please cdorrect me of I'm wrong.

Myth, if u dont see it on the sdcardd, it gotta be on the inteernal memory card. I just cant remember wqhwre. Rot explorer baby.
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  10. Jim 777

Jim 777 Active Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Now that's funny! Intentional or not! [​IMG]