Why I returned my Ipad and why Android tablets might fail

motty69

Reaction score
AutoCAD and photoshop will be on iPad and other tablets very soon, and as a matter of fact I know that they all already have photoshop-like apps....

As far as AutoCad (and or Bentley products) you need a real beast of a PC to run those properly (trust me, I am a BIM modeler, do it 40-50 hours a week). Anything that is released for the iPad from AutoDesk or Bentley will have VERY limited functionality as a CAD platform, especially for 3D. An AutoCAD app is not AutoCAD.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
Until tablets come with functions that laptops have like DVD/BD drive, USB, broad software support, I don't see much use for them outside of a toy. I'd love to have a tablet that I could run autoCAD or photoshop or something else like that on it :)

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Exactly. Tablets in their current hardware configurations only replace laptops for people who didn't make full use of their laptop to begin with. Not gonna be doing much BIM modeling on an iPad anytime soon. :p

Let alone playing huge massive strategy titles like anything in the total war series (Imagine Total War: Shogun 2 on a tablet? awkward! I can imagine running anything Rome: Total War or prior on a tablet, but no later)

CrazeePolak

Reaction score
Usb 3.0 will be done before its fully implemented... Im part of a company working with intel to bring lightpeak to every device... one cable to rule them all basically n maybe the last you'll ever need... 10 to 100 times faster than todays top hdmi cables... fiber optics replacing copper

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
Same here, Droid and Kindle. All I need.

Will never buy a tablet.

When deciding to purchase my Droid I reviewed iPad, netbooks, notebooks, etc. But what did I actually want my "phone" to do for me? Eliminate carrying my laptop, reduce the cost of wireless comm, and access to email downloads, locations, maps businesses & their phone numbers and thee ability to call internationally without carrying a webcam too (I don't have one built in my laptop) this covers just a few things I wanted my little phone to do. I wanted a min-computer-phone with a keyboard! Can we all say DROID? Finally after downloading Kindle for Android I loved it even more, but what next?

I waited for the "reader" I wanted that would travel with me, but did I need something that would replace my Droid? NO, just a reader wth longer lasting battery for 11 hour flights & 3 hour train rides with international internet access without additional cost? iPad? I think Not, Netbook? Kindle wireles & 3g, yes. Keeps my Droid, Droid, saves my battery and is usable on All my devices, without any extra cost. Android should have created an eReader of its own- or is there something I don't know about?

In conclusion :) think about you NEED not what you want, purchase what you NEED not what you want & you will have just what you NEED, even if you have to wait, like I did for my little DROID!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
patfactorx

patfactorx

Reaction score
Btw even with Honeycomb out now...

I still can't find a case where I would want to use a tablet over my phone, laptop or 6x core desktop

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Btw even with Honeycomb out now...

I still can't find a case where I would want to use a tablet over my phone, laptop or 6x core desktop

Agreed, although a few people offered good arguments for use. Doesn't work for me, but when this laptop kicks it I'd like a tablet with a detachable keyboard and then I get the best of both worlds. Need a bit more juice yet, though.

OP
patfactorx

patfactorx

Reaction score
Yeah if a laptop had an AMD APU and a detachable/convertible screen that ran honeycomb in tablet mode then I would be interested. I feel like the new ASUS tablets are moving in that direction.

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
They make cases for a lot of the tablets that include both wired and wireless keyboards as well as a kickstand, turning your tablet into basically a netbook.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
They make cases for a lot of the tablets that include both wired and wireless keyboards as well as a kickstand, turning your tablet into basically a netbook.

Basically that's how I use my iPad. I use it for doing just about anything I would do on a computer. Add Apples's bluetooth wireless keyboard and a music stand (sort of) and it works great.

Since getting my iPad I hardly use the Droid anymore. I just use it for phone calls, texting and gps.

aRsTwiX

Reaction score
I personally stick with laptop...why, because its not like tablets have the ability to install software I consider useful in my career. I am a graphics designer and video editor..I see tablets as play toys

Sent from my DROID2

+1 Amen. HP Envy for the win

Til a tablet can run Adobe CS5, Blender or any other modeling program, and Cinema 4D... it's a big itouch to me

Last edited: