Why I left my iPhone for Droid.

mrbworm

Reaction score
First, let me say I am a long, long time Apple user. I can date my lineage back to my II/e. So I got sucked into the cultish little iphone a few years ago, knowing ATT sucks.
The straw that broke the camel's back and got me to Droid was the (true) conspiracy theory that iOS4 actually made the older iPhones slower, less battery life and more dropped calls. It was obvious that Mr. Jobs was doing a Bill Gates and forcing an upgrade. So between that and ATT dropping one out of 4 (no exaggeration, I actually tracked it for two weeks!), Goodbye Mr. Jobs, hello Droid X.

Anyone other recent refugees from iPhone land believe this (true) conspiracy story of the iOS4?

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
Welcome. I seem to work in an industry where we are never "in the office" that is dominated by iPhones. I am continually listening to people drop calls or can't get data at a reliable rate. Every day I say, want use may Droid, do you need to borrow my Droid... etc etc. Without fail Droid gets the job done

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
The straw that broke the camel's back and got me to Droid was the (true) conspiracy theory that iOS4 actually made the older iPhones slower, less battery life and more dropped calls.
Sources? Slower I can see as newer software doesn't always perform the same on older hardware. However, I'd like to see some proof of the intent as well as some testing to back these claims. Off the bat, it sounds like the usual unfounded rumors that tend to go round.

OP
mrbworm

mrbworm

Reaction score
Source is personal experience of me and about a dozen folks I work with. All had the same slow down and battery drain. About 6 of us downgraded to iOS3 and magically the slow down was gone and the battery was back to lasting 16 hours. Granted not a quinnipiac survey, but pretty compelling from my experience.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe my memory is faulty but didn't ATT have a major malfunction around that time that was affecting everyone for a bit?

wified from my Incredible monolith using some form of slider keypad on Tapatalk

sal33n

Reaction score
Yes the new IOS has had the slowdown affect on two people here also in my company that have the older iPhones. I am not really familiar with the iPhone so I asked them if they tried wiping the phone clean and installing fresh? They said it doesn't work exactly that way and that this is a known issue.

cpjr

Reaction score
Where do you people live? I am in Atlanta and have both ATT, iphone 4 and Verizon, Droid X (for work) and to be honest, they both get very close to the same service. I get into spots that ATT drops out and I get into spots where Verizon drops out.

cpjr

Reaction score

Do you know how many times lawsuits have been filed against Apple for a thousand different reasons....dont believe everything you read on the internet.

But, yeah I can totally see how a newer OS would run poorly on older hardware. Is this anything new? No. Try running Windows 7 or Vista on a machine thats older......you cant.

Now, I do disagree with the practice of more or less forcing an upgrade, even if it free....have used an older device with IOS4 and seemed to run fine, but ive never used one "daily".

And if you actually read the entire article, it doesnt even state that Apple did this on purpose, but it was a buggy release and Apple admitted there where issues and have been working to fix them. It even states that some of the bugs were worked out in the 4.1 release....so again, no different than any other OS release.

Look at the issues Froyo has given us :(

OP
mrbworm

mrbworm

Reaction score
I am in NJ/NY. The mecca of ATT dropped calls.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
My dad, brother, and sister all have iPhones (so did I). When they don't have service, I'll say, "is your world NOT being delivered??" Haha! Of course now, they get "maybe you should rethink possible.."

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

OP
mrbworm

mrbworm

Reaction score
You hit the exact point I was trying to get across. Mr. Jobs became Mr. Gates in that his software forced a hardware upgrade. This was actually quite rare at Apple (move to intel vs. ppc being the big exception). It now seems that following the Wintel forced upgrade has become more prevalent at Apple in an area that they can wield market dominance.
And yes, nearly all lawsuits of this kind are frivolous and only make money for the bottom feeding lawyers. I merely pointed it out to show the prevalence of this issue.

cpjr

Reaction score
You hit the exact point I was trying to get across. Mr. Jobs became Mr. Gates in that his software forced a hardware upgrade. This was actually quite rare at Apple (move to intel vs. ppc being the big exception). It now seems that following the Wintel forced upgrade has become more prevalent at Apple in an area that they can wield market dominance.
And yes, nearly all lawsuits of this kind are frivolous and only make money for the bottom feeding lawyers. I merely pointed it out to show the prevalence of this issue.

I understand that, I was merely trying to point out that this happens alot more than we "notice", but Apple is always on top of the headlines in this respect.

Android is the "baby" out of the line of OS's and we've already seen stabs at closing what was proudly thrown around as an "open" platform. With new devices having locked bootloaders and such. I think its a matter of time before we see more of that, hope not....but time will tell.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

I understand that, I was merely trying to point out that this happens alot more than we "notice", but Apple is always on top of the headlines in this respect.

Android is the "baby" out of the line of OS's and we've already seen stabs at closing what was proudly thrown around as an "open" platform. With new devices having locked bootloaders and such. I think its a matter of time before we see more of that, hope not....but time will tell.

I completely agree!!