Why Dual Core is TODAYS technology.

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by cereal killer, Apr 10, 2011.

1. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

After countless threads and mentions of how dual core is a tech that can't be fully utilized TODAY (on Froyo) I decided to do some research to see if in fact this statement held any water.

I was also interested in some real world benchmark tests that are tried and true. Not these ridiculous Quadrant scores that the community seems to have adopted as the true measure of a handsets performance. As you will see, Dual Core's are today's tecnology even with froyo. Enjoy......

http://androidevolutions.com/2011/0...droid-os-froyo-gingerbread-dual-core-capable/
  2. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Actually dual core is already yesterdays technology meaning single core is about to be a dinosaur. But the already playing with multiple core. Yes technology will always move faster than what we can keep up with and that just help show what we are capable of pushing technology. Admiring what we can do is one thing, but chasing what people do will get you broke. I think users should read up and understand where our technology is and where we can go. But at this rate you will always be waiting. About time we all get into dual core someone would have figured out multicore. So what I do is ask what I want my device to do. Does this device allow me to do it, can I wait...is the device I'm waiting on gonna allow me to do it better. Atrix is a dual core device and it blows the device away on quadrant and benchmarks but the inspire runs smoother and better because its not lagging. Now I am sure once the atrix get gingerblur we will finally see the atrix capabilities. But no matter what if I buy now or later there will always be something better.
  3. Beardface

Beardface Member

Argue it all you want... At the end of the day, it came down to this for me...

Single Core + HTC Sense + Root Capabilities >>>>>>>> Dual Core + Moto Blur - Root Capabilities

And it wasn't even that close
  4. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

Yea Anandtech mentioned the same thing in a review of the LG 2X awhile back:

LG Optimus 2X & NVIDIA Tegra 2 Review: The First Dual-Core Smartphone - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

From the article:

Interesting what he mentions about Android releases being paired with a specific SoC...I dont know about that. He knows this stuff better than me so...

What I would take as the biggest advantage for dual core right now is being able to multi task better. As ppl start and are already doing more with their phones dual core, quad core will only make things better.

When it comes a point where ppl start actually keeping these phones longer than a year, having the latest technology is only gonna make things easier for you. I also wonder if updating an app to utilize both cores more is easier, quicker to do on phones than on PC's. Thats another thing to think about. We might look up next month and all the apps you use on a regular basis might be optimized for dual core.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  5. Detonation

Detonation New Member

Sure Froyo can take advantage of dual cores, but it's not really good for anything unless people are writing apps to do that. And right now their aren't that many that do.
  6. pc747

7. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

Having to keep a device for two years... I'd rather have technology in my device at the time of purchase that hasn't yet met it's full potential. This, IMO will help delay the EOL for the device. :)
  8. Beardface

Beardface Member

Or you could just get the one with the unlocked bootloader and not have to worry about when Verizon considers the EOL to be....

Just sayin...
  9. pc747

Here is to hoping it remains unlocked, nothing is keeping htc or vzw for sending an ota to lock and encrypt it.
  10. illmatic636

illmatic636 New Member

I would love for you to mention just one other spec on the TB that made you buy it. All I hear you talking about in different forums is the unlocked bootloader. As mentioned, that can be taken away at any given time by Moto or Vzw. I'm willing to take a stab at something here. I bet there are more "bricked" HTC devices out there. Hence, more people with little knowledge about what they are doing to their phones. Leads to more claims to insurance for phones who warranties expired on DOR. (Date of Root)

So please give me more than the unlocked bootloader!
    I want as many cores as they'll give me. A processor that can process 528 just as fast at a 1 gig but keep power consumption power consumption of 528.

And not for nothing, but, moto making it harder to unlock our bootloader teaches us lessons along the way. Lessons that help users avoid the bricking of ones device. Is the OG droid even brickible?

Sorry for the ranting everyone.
  11. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

I've played this game for the past 1.5 years with my D1.... now I want stellar hardware.
  12. pc747

I want good hardware as well. But I will also weigh in the ability to mod as well.
  13. Beardface

Beardface Member

More RAM, smoother UI that I can wipe clean if I truly want to, 1 year contracts, an improved battery life over my Droid (I'm getting 20 hours + out of my TBolt), the fact that its already out and useable, as opposed to the Bionic, which doesn't even have a release date, yet, and the fact that when Verizon goes to tiered plans this summer, I'm locked into unlimited data, paying the same per month for 4G that I paid for 3G on the Droid for the length of the contract instead of playing Russian Roulette with tiers.

And rooting improves the phone if you know what you're doing. The custom ROMs take a good device and make it dominant. I knew I would likely never have that ability on any other device after the TBolt. It only made sense to get it.
  14. illmatic636

illmatic636 New Member

What do you mean by wiping clear? And the 1 year contracts are done from what I understand. Battery life, you'll lose this one. Moto has optimum antenna's which pick up better signal cause less time to search for a better signal.

I believe you are in the 10% of this forum. A T-Bolt user and that's fine. But you need to come up with better stuff than that.
  15. EgooEspada

EgooEspada New Member

People picked up the Thunderbolt because it was HTC or they just didn't want to wait. I felt the same, which is why I got the Thunderbolt on a 1 year contract. I'm glad I did it too. I have an upgrade in November and will pick what great device is out by then. Verizon has eliminated 1 year contracts, so for now my Thunderbolt will hold me over till I see the best device I could possibly get. Because this choice will be harder come upgrade being there will be only 2 years and I'm not willing to pay full retail for a phone.
  16. Beardface

Beardface Member

I'll hedge my bets with the manufacturer who openly released their Kernel Source Code to the public, like HTC did with the Thunderbolt, as opposed to the one who is trying everything they can to make sure theirs is as locked down as it can possibly be.

For that reason, I can't imagine HTC releasing an OTA to lock the bootloader, or ever allowing Verizon to do the same.
  17. jroc

jroc Well-Known Member

^Moto does the same thing with its kernel, Samsung, and probably every other Android phone manufacture.

Only difference is Moto and the encrypted bootloader. And a phone with an unlocked bootloader doesnt help you replace the hardware, only the software. Yea Froyo breathed new life into the Droid 1. Eventually you here ppl here n there talking about wishing it had more Ram for lil issues they are running into. Or if it couldnt be overclocked they dont know if they woulda kept it this long comparing it to other phones thats out now.

Take a phone that is fast enough already that one probably wouldnt even need to overclock it or worry about Ram, and see how much a encrypted bootloader makes a difference. Put it like this: after using my Droid X, and I still have my Droid 1, my X is my main phone. Both were running Froyo. Only difference between the 2 was hardware. I HAD to overclock and tweak it to get close to the performance of my X out the box. I just started putting the limited ROMs the Droid X has on my phone in the past few months. And I have yet to overclock it. I dont feel I need to.

To put all this in perspective, some ppl think the X was a marginal upgrade from the Droid 1.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  18. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Can someone tell me how a thread about chip architecture turns into a debate on bootloaders and kernel source code??

Stay on topic please.

Sent from somewhere...
  19. markml0528

markml0528 New Member

Lol.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
  20. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

I've said this since people started debating whether or not dual-core will have any positive effects on non-optimized apps.

The answer is YES, it will have somewhat of an effect due to the fact that Android is a linux-based OS, and Linux by nature is multiprocessor aware. The OS is capable of dividing tasks up between the cores, just like Windows is in the PC world.

However, when the apps are recoded to be truly multithreaded, the multicore benefit will be even more evident.