Why don't more ROMs...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Glock, May 18, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. Glock

Glock New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ...use the .tgz format like AdamZ Smoked Glass 6.0.1? I'm just curious? Is it because it's more hassle for the developer? I can accept having to install using update.zip files and then hunt down all the seperate customizations I want BUT AdamZ installation just made my life SO much easier. You can change font, color, kernel, installed programs, etc. all from 1 easy setup process that takes maybe 5 mins. Again, just curious. Not trying to offend. In fact, thanks to all the developers who make my Droid dance dancedroid
  2. gavron

gavron Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +0
    Having taking apart both and looked at them... (specifically AdamZ's SG6.0 script) my guess is they see their time better spent on making the ROM work great... rather than checking out every feature of the script.

The "shell" installed on the droid is not very powerful. (busybox is much much better, as is toolbox). Subsequently the ability to write intelligent scripts is more difficult, and repetitive code is used. The various options you can choose make it that much more difficult to **test** all options and all combinations of options.

My guess is the devs would rather make an awesome ROM and let *you* add whatever you like, rather than giving you everything with a menu that takes 3 days to write and test (again going by AdamZ's test schedule from SG6.0)...

IMHO. YMMV. IANAL. CMM.

E
  3. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,441
    Droidmod had that option; I wish devs would go more to the tgz style.
  4. thatguychuck

thatguychuck Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't know if this is the case, but it seems most of the devs respect each other and try not to copy options. Or it's just a big PITA. Just my .02
  5. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +4

You got it, friend. Couldn't have said it better myself.
  6. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +4

I won't for the simple reasoning that it alienates the part of our user base that uses clockworkmod.