Why does the LG G5 have a smaller battery?

Discussion in 'LG G5' started by dgstorm, Feb 21, 2016.

1. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,672
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    OEMs seem to be going with smaller battery capacities to keep phones smaller overall. Optimizations have made some pretty good improvements and battery life doesn't seem to be worse than any last generation devices from what I been reading up on.

Couple these newer devices with quick charge technology, I don't think anyone is at a real loss except for power users, but even power users carry around a battery pack so does 200mah really make that big of a difference?

2. mountainbikermark

mountainbikermark Super Moderator
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,350
    This is the company that tested the snot out of the Urbane LTE only to find the fatal flaw after its release causing a subsequent recall of all unsold units and sales halt.
    Ok so it's more efficient. With that in mind did it ever occur to anyone that keeping a bigger battery on a more efficient phone is a good thing ? There was this debate about the Note 5 as well and it turns out the smaller battery is offset by the efficiency to result in about the same life as the Note4. I'm just stumped as to why nobody will try better battery life by not slimming down the mah as the devices become more efficient. It's like they've all got a spot nobody is willing to improve upon even though it could readily be done.

Support Our Troops!!!
    Beast Mode 4
    <><

3. Miller6386

Miller6386 Developer
    Developer

Ratings:
    +2,038
    Current Phone Model:
    Note 8
    Twitter:
    CoreyFMiller
    I think we have seen battery size kind of level off.. Now they are implementing better software to utilize the issue at the source. I think this is a better solution as opposed to just masking the issue with larger batteries every year. Lets fix the problem at its root.

4. xeene

xeene Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,186
    Don't believe that, they claim that every freaking year a new phone comes out and g4 has one of the worst battery endurance of modern phones.

I think lg is making a mistake. I would have purchased two devices if they had larger battery but now I think I'll pick up a couple s7 edges.

5. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,044
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7 Plus JB
    The S7 is certainly a good choice. I would wait and see how the G5 battery is in the real world...