why does the back of my Droid is turning orange/brown?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by Cy-Fi, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Cy-Fi

Cy-Fi New Member

I returned my last Droid because the battery cover and every other part on the phone with the same rubber feeling coating (sides and back) turned this horrid orange-brown color.
    I just got a brand new droid a week and a half ago and the same problem is occurring. The color change cannot be wiped off or removed.
    At first I thought it was because the model I returned ran very hot and had a handful of other software/hardware issues.
    This model actually works very well, however it looks extremely ugly.
    Has any one else run into this problem or know the cause of it?

Another possibility is that it is reacting to hand-sanitizer, however I'd think the designers would have had the forethought not to use a material that reacts poorly to sanitizer since it has become a staple for most people.

I love my Droid, but hate that it is black & poo colored. The aesthetics of this phone were just as important in my buying decision as the functions.
  2. Kack

Kack New Member

get one of those full body covers! or body wrap. i use hand sanitizer a lot through out the day due to shaking a lot of peoples hands. but i have a body wrap on mine so i have not noticed a poo tinge to my phone.
  3. XKXDISTURBEDXKX

XKXDISTURBEDXKX New Member

so is this because you have purchased a rubber cover for your phone? because ive had a plastic one for awhile and have never experienced this problem.
  4. Cy-Fi

Cy-Fi New Member

No, there is no cover on the phone. This is the actual coating/paint stuff on the back of the physical phone itself. It covers everything on the back but the rectangle around the camera.
  5. Cy-Fi

Cy-Fi New Member

I don't want to add bulky accessories to my phone, I like the simple droid design. I just want to know why the back is turning an orange brown. I also don't want to have o trade my current phone in because it's 4th Droid I've had and the 1st that works as it should.
  6. BigRalphN

BigRalphN New Member

The Seidio Innocase is very thin and does not change the look of the phone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  7. XKXDISTURBEDXKX

XKXDISTURBEDXKX New Member

well im sorry to hear about your ****-colored phone, but i believe your hand sanitizer may be the cause, you should try to not use it for a week and see if the color stays the same.
  8. Cy-Fi

Cy-Fi New Member

ok, this does not answer my question...

i would like to know what could be causing this phenomenon....
    and also if anyone else has experienced it. I know i could "sweep the problem under a rug...... er case in this instance" but it does not fix the issue or explain anything.

anyone???
  9. sarreq

sarreq New Member

pay attention, IT'S THE HAND SANITIZER!!! two people (and now myself) have said it.

there's only two ways to not stain your phone poo; 1. stop using hand sanitizer (which is a good idea if you'd like to avoid getting warts on your hands, also), or 2. get a skin or shell. those are the only definite options available.

there is a possible "3", switch to a non-alcohol based hand sanitizer, as far as I know there's only one on the market right now, though (Gold Bond sanitizing moisturizer), but I have no idea if it's actually the alcohol itself doing it, or one of the ingredients used to either thicken the stuff or prevent your hands from drying out completely.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  10. Cy-Fi

Cy-Fi New Member

chill out and don't be so ignorant
    there was one post that said it might be sanitizer.... and that was posted while i was typing my latest response.

and secondly, warts are caused by hpv viruses.... not sanitizers.

a quick google search of hand sanitizer and warts shows that purrell sanitizer actually may help to combat and remove warts, not cause them.
  11. Cy-Fi

Cy-Fi New Member

has anyone else experienced this problem other than myself, and uses hand sanitizer regularly?
    i have a scientific mind and need data to confirm. The truth is out there.
  12. Murz

Murz New Member

It’s something you’re doing, if not the hand sanitizer, then something else because I have never heard of anyone else having this problem with the Droid. Its gotta be something user specific. Try not using the hand sanitizer for a week and see if that changes anything, or even try switching brands of hand sanitizers... the strange thing is that like you said hand sanitizers have become very popular, you would think someone would have had this same problem before now.
  13. xfireguru

xfireguru New Member

I keep an industrial sized bottle of sanitizer on my desk and use it frequently. I never had an issue with my phone changing colors. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it's Germ-X brand.
  14. vrdubin6

vrdubin6 New Member

Same here. I deal quite a bit with cash at work and I use hand sanitizer quite frequently. Had my Droid for over 4 months with no issues.
  15. JCo352

JCo352 New Member

I don't know what could be causing this. But if you like the look of the droid and don't want a case, you could get one of those Zagg Invisishield covers, that covers the whole phone.
  16. dro

dro New Member

Unless you work with some sort of corrosive materials or cleaning supplies, it must be the alcohol in the hand sanitizer. At any rate, something you are using often seems to be leeching the dye from the rubberized coating. Have you noticed any black dye rubbing off on your hands? When you sanitize, do you always allow the alcohol to evaporate entirely before handling your Droid? Do you use any industrial cleaning supplies, corrosive aerosols, or alcohol wipes regularly? Do you work with any sort of armor-all products or other vinyl dressing supplies? Is your Droid ever exposed to prolonged sunlight?
  17. Cy-Fi

Cy-Fi New Member

I don't use any uncommon cleaners...just your usual household cleaners (Lysol, dish soap, murphy's oil soap, arm & hammer detergent...rarely even bleach because the fumes irritate me), I try to avoid harsh chemicals and I don't use my phone while using cleaners/wear gloves to clean. So my Droid really doesn't come in contact with those products. I don't come in contact with armor-all like products much at all.
    95% of the time my hands are fully dried of sanitizer before using my droid.
    The dye on the back of the droid has not come off on my hands or on anything else, no is it decaying...simply changing colors.
    I also use Got2b glued hair spray, however that isn't a regular product and is normally used towards the back of my head & away from my ears.
    My Droid hardly ever is in sunlight since most of my activities are nocturnal.

ps- cute avatar :)
  18. Cy-Fi

Cy-Fi New Member

That is a solution I have been considering...do they come tinted or in some sort of color?
    As things are now my phone would still have a slight poo color to it (has not turned orange yet like the last one)
  19. Kack

Kack New Member

sorry the invisishield is what i meant earlier by skin. that is what i have a whole body skin by invisishield i got mine on ebay for 10 bux and it took 15 min to put on. adds no bulk just shines i like the new look tho.
  20. Hermes

Hermes Member

It could just be your ph level, the salt and oils from your hands could be quite corrosive. Put a skin on it.
Search tags for this page
back cover of my phone turned brown

case discolor razr motorola

droid colors turned orange
my phone case is turning orange
my phone case was white why is it turning orange?
myphonecase has discolored
phone case plastic turning brown

phone case turn brown

phone case turning phone brown
phone cover turned brown
phone turning brown
why does my phone cover turn brown
why does my phone turn brown
why is my phone turning orange