why does the back of my Droid is turning orange/brown?

Cy-Fi

Reaction score
I returned my last Droid because the battery cover and every other part on the phone with the same rubber feeling coating (sides and back) turned this horrid orange-brown color.
I just got a brand new droid a week and a half ago and the same problem is occurring. The color change cannot be wiped off or removed.
At first I thought it was because the model I returned ran very hot and had a handful of other software/hardware issues.
This model actually works very well, however it looks extremely ugly.
Has any one else run into this problem or know the cause of it?

Another possibility is that it is reacting to hand-sanitizer, however I'd think the designers would have had the forethought not to use a material that reacts poorly to sanitizer since it has become a staple for most people.

I love my Droid, but hate that it is black & poo colored. The aesthetics of this phone were just as important in my buying decision as the functions.

Kack

Reaction score
get one of those full body covers! or body wrap. i use hand sanitizer a lot through out the day due to shaking a lot of peoples hands. but i have a body wrap on mine so i have not noticed a poo tinge to my phone.

Reaction score
so is this because you have purchased a rubber cover for your phone? because ive had a plastic one for awhile and have never experienced this problem.

OP
Cy-Fi

Cy-Fi

Reaction score
so is this because you have purchased a rubber cover for your phone? because ive had a plastic one for awhile and have never experienced this problem.

No, there is no cover on the phone. This is the actual coating/paint stuff on the back of the physical phone itself. It covers everything on the back but the rectangle around the camera.

OP
Cy-Fi

Cy-Fi

Reaction score
get one of those full body covers! or body wrap. i use hand sanitizer a lot through out the day due to shaking a lot of peoples hands. but i have a body wrap on mine so i have not noticed a poo tinge to my phone.

I don't want to add bulky accessories to my phone, I like the simple droid design. I just want to know why the back is turning an orange brown. I also don't want to have o trade my current phone in because it's 4th Droid I've had and the 1st that works as it should.

BigRalphN

Reaction score
The Seidio Innocase is very thin and does not change the look of the phone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Reaction score
well im sorry to hear about your ****-colored phone, but i believe your hand sanitizer may be the cause, you should try to not use it for a week and see if the color stays the same.

OP
Cy-Fi

Cy-Fi

Reaction score
The Seidio Innocase is very thin and does not change the look of the phone.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ok, this does not answer my question...

i would like to know what could be causing this phenomenon....
and also if anyone else has experienced it. I know i could "sweep the problem under a rug...... er case in this instance" but it does not fix the issue or explain anything.

anyone???

sarreq

Reaction score
pay attention, IT'S THE HAND SANITIZER!!! two people (and now myself) have said it.

there's only two ways to not stain your phone poo; 1. stop using hand sanitizer (which is a good idea if you'd like to avoid getting warts on your hands, also), or 2. get a skin or shell. those are the only definite options available.

there is a possible "3", switch to a non-alcohol based hand sanitizer, as far as I know there's only one on the market right now, though (Gold Bond sanitizing moisturizer), but I have no idea if it's actually the alcohol itself doing it, or one of the ingredients used to either thicken the stuff or prevent your hands from drying out completely.

Last edited:
OP
Cy-Fi

Cy-Fi

Reaction score
pay attention, IT'S THE HAND SANITIZER!!! two people (and now myself) have said it. there's only two ways to not stain your phone poo; 1. stop using hand sanitizer (which is a good idea if you'd like to avoid getting warts on your hands, also), or 2. get a skin or shell. those are the only options available.

chill out and don't be so ignorant
there was one post that said it might be sanitizer.... and that was posted while i was typing my latest response.

and secondly, warts are caused by hpv viruses.... not sanitizers.

a quick google search of hand sanitizer and warts shows that purrell sanitizer actually may help to combat and remove warts, not cause them.

OP
Cy-Fi

Cy-Fi

Reaction score
has anyone else experienced this problem other than myself, and uses hand sanitizer regularly?
i have a scientific mind and need data to confirm. The truth is out there.

Murz

Reaction score
It’s something you’re doing, if not the hand sanitizer, then something else because I have never heard of anyone else having this problem with the Droid. Its gotta be something user specific. Try not using the hand sanitizer for a week and see if that changes anything, or even try switching brands of hand sanitizers... the strange thing is that like you said hand sanitizers have become very popular, you would think someone would have had this same problem before now.

xfireguru

Reaction score
I keep an industrial sized bottle of sanitizer on my desk and use it frequently. I never had an issue with my phone changing colors. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it's Germ-X brand.

vrdubin6

Reaction score
I keep an industrial sized bottle of sanitizer on my desk and use it frequently. I never had an issue with my phone changing colors. I don't know if it makes a difference, but it's Germ-X brand.

Same here. I deal quite a bit with cash at work and I use hand sanitizer quite frequently. Had my Droid for over 4 months with no issues.

JCo352

Reaction score
I don't know what could be causing this. But if you like the look of the droid and don't want a case, you could get one of those Zagg Invisishield covers, that covers the whole phone.