Why does swype not like me?

iPirate

Reaction score
If I reboot my phone, swype says my phone is not supported and it won work... Anyone else having this problem?

qwiksilver711

Reaction score
I was, open up an sms message, long click on the text field and tell it to use stock keyboard as input method, repeat but tell it to use swype... Fixes it every time

Brokn68

Reaction score
That's weird, I've never had that issue, but now I know how to fix if I do. :)

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's weird, I've never had that issue, but now I know how to fix if I do. :)

The issue exists only in the official beta version (5652.) It doesn't happen with an earlier (but still beta) version (5612.)

That makes sense, I got version 5612 off of a post on this forum.

It may seem odd that the more recent version has the bug while the earlier one does not. Apparently, it has to do with Swype's (valiant) efforts to provide a single version of their software for multiple android devices. What happened was that the 5612 release worked fine for the droid but failed with some other phones. When they fixed that problem in the first day or so of the beta they apparently recoded the boot sequence for Swype so that on the Droid (at least) the o/s is not finished doing its housekeeping on boot before Swype tries to initialize itself. Thus, the initialization sequence failed.

As far as I know Swype hasn't found a way around the problem. That's the challenge of trying to make one's software be both tightly integrated with a device's o/s implementation and still workable with a broad selection of devices.

Brokn68

Reaction score
As far as I know Swype hasn't found a way around the problem. That's the challenge of trying to make one's software be both tightly integrated with a device's o/s implementation and still workable with a broad selection of devices.
I was going to ask what other fixes or enhancements went into the newer beta version, but you've saved me the trouble of tracking down release notes. I think I'll stick with this version to avoid the minor bug. I really do love the software though, it has drastically changed how I text and it's for the better.

FoFa

Reaction score
What was the Trial Release 0.35.3959. Cause I don't have those problems, nor has it "timed yet" at least as of yet. It could use a little refinement, but tell you what, I would rather use a not as refined version, than live without it.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
What was the Trial Release 0.35.3959. Cause I don't have those problems, nor has it "timed yet" at least as of yet. It could use a little refinement, but tell you what, I would rather use a not as refined version, than live without it.

You might have the only leaked version that hasn't timed out yet. Cherish it. :)