Why does my battery go down at night?

LilJayV10

Reaction score
This has happened to me several times in the month and a half I have gotten my Driod. I can go to bed and have 60-70% battery life. When I get up in the morning it is down to the yellow. I do not have very many apps on my phone. It doesn't do it every night but it seems to be more frequent than it was.

Thank you.

Jason

M1dnite

Reaction score
This has happened to me several times in the month and a half I have gotten my Driod. I can go to bed and have 60-70% battery life. When I get up in the morning it is down to the yellow. I do not have very many apps on my phone. It doesn't do it every night but it seems to be more frequent than it was.

Thank you.

Jason

Do you check what's taking up your battery?

OP
L

LilJayV10

Reaction score
If you mean what is running is the andriod keyboard, the weather channel app and dolphin browser. There was photobucket and good voice, I turned those two off I didn't realize they were loaded.

M1dnite

Reaction score
If you mean what is running is the andriod keyboard, the weather channel app and dolphin browser. There was photobucket and good voice, I turned those two off I didn't realize they were loaded.

Go to settings>about>Battery Use

See whats taking up the most.

OP
L

LilJayV10

Reaction score
Wow I had no idea that was there. It says voice calls is taking up 80%. Display is 7% and everything else is like 2-3%

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll ask the obvious (just have to check, you never no so don't take offense).

When you plug it in at night it does in fact say "charging" and the lock screen correct? And when you wake in the morning does it still say 'charging.'

Main reason I'm checking is I've noticed that with some aftermarket charges it will 'see' the charger (i.e. screen comes on) but it won't actually charge from them. Also noticed on some chargers the usb plug is a bit sensitive, so a slight knock will dislodge it just enough to keep it from charging (but it will still read as connected).

Wow I had no idea that was there. It says voice calls is taking up 80%. Display is 7% and everything else is like 2-3%

That's normal depending on how much you use the phone. Unless you're a heavy multimedia user Voice Calls and Display will normally be your top two battery users.

Last edited:

Guchi

Reaction score
plugging in over night is one way of avoiding this. someone correct me if i'm wrong but i read somewhere that its best to keep lithium batteries above 40% charge anyways

OP
L

LilJayV10

Reaction score
I am not charging it every night. Like last night for example I didn't. When I went to bed I had 60-70% and this morning when I woke up it was in the yellow.

When I do charge it I use the usb cable that came with it hooked to my computer.

bbtkd

Reaction score
I am not charging it every night. Like last night for example I didn't. When I went to bed I had 60-70% and this morning when I woke up it was in the yellow.

When I do charge it I use the usb cable that came with it hooked to my computer.

I'd suggest getting the desktop/bedside dock. I have mine in my headboard so I just drop it in at night. Besides charging it also gives you a clock that is on even with a power failure and gives you weather information.

As far as what is killing your battery overnight - do you have Wifi and/or GPS on? Also note that typically the biggest drain is the screen. You must make a lot of calls.

OP
L

LilJayV10

Reaction score
I know WiFi isn't on. I don't think GPS is. I txt more than anything. I don't use the phone that much. I guess I am at a loss why the battery drains so much when the screen is turned off and the phone "shouldn't" be doing anything.

backlash

Reaction score
I'm guessing wherever you place your phone at night...........that it's prob searching for a signal............or that it's going in and out of 3G coverage, which drains your battery.

If you can't find a solid spot to keep your phone, put that sucker into airplane mode at night time.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just stick your phone on the charger every night and your problem is solved. Leaving it on the charger is not bad for the battery, so why wouldn't you do this if you want a full charge each day?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
plugging in over night is one way of avoiding this. someone correct me if i'm wrong but i read somewhere that its best to keep lithium batteries above 40% charge anyways

Well, 40% is probably as high as you want it to be when you plug in the charger, but letting it go to 20% or even 15% is fine. I personally like to plug it in at 20% but if it's not convenient for me and I'm at 40% I'll plug in at that time as well.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
As far as I know, it doesn't matter how much battery you have left. You can charge it when you want, for as long as you want, without causing any problems.