Why does my battery go down at night?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by LilJayV10, Jan 18, 2010.

1. LilJayV10

LilJayV10 New Member

This has happened to me several times in the month and a half I have gotten my Driod. I can go to bed and have 60-70% battery life. When I get up in the morning it is down to the yellow. I do not have very many apps on my phone. It doesn't do it every night but it seems to be more frequent than it was.

Thank you.

Jason
  2. M1dnite

M1dnite New Member

Do you check what's taking up your battery?
  3. LilJayV10

LilJayV10 New Member

If you mean what is running is the andriod keyboard, the weather channel app and dolphin browser. There was photobucket and good voice, I turned those two off I didn't realize they were loaded.
  4. M1dnite

M1dnite New Member

Go to settings>about>Battery Use

See whats taking up the most.
  5. LilJayV10

LilJayV10 New Member

Wow I had no idea that was there. It says voice calls is taking up 80%. Display is 7% and everything else is like 2-3%
  6. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

Okay, I'll ask the obvious (just have to check, you never no so don't take offense).

When you plug it in at night it does in fact say "charging" and the lock screen correct? And when you wake in the morning does it still say 'charging.'

Main reason I'm checking is I've noticed that with some aftermarket charges it will 'see' the charger (i.e. screen comes on) but it won't actually charge from them. Also noticed on some chargers the usb plug is a bit sensitive, so a slight knock will dislodge it just enough to keep it from charging (but it will still read as connected).

That's normal depending on how much you use the phone. Unless you're a heavy multimedia user Voice Calls and Display will normally be your top two battery users.
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  7. Guchi

Guchi New Member

plugging in over night is one way of avoiding this. someone correct me if i'm wrong but i read somewhere that its best to keep lithium batteries above 40% charge anyways
  8. LilJayV10

LilJayV10 New Member

I am not charging it every night. Like last night for example I didn't. When I went to bed I had 60-70% and this morning when I woke up it was in the yellow.

When I do charge it I use the usb cable that came with it hooked to my computer.
  9. bbtkd

bbtkd Member

I'd suggest getting the desktop/bedside dock. I have mine in my headboard so I just drop it in at night. Besides charging it also gives you a clock that is on even with a power failure and gives you weather information.

As far as what is killing your battery overnight - do you have Wifi and/or GPS on? Also note that typically the biggest drain is the screen. You must make a lot of calls.
  10. LilJayV10

LilJayV10 New Member

I know WiFi isn't on. I don't think GPS is. I txt more than anything. I don't use the phone that much. I guess I am at a loss why the battery drains so much when the screen is turned off and the phone "shouldn't" be doing anything.
  11. Speeding Wheels

Speeding Wheels New Member

I'd strongly suggest the multimedia cradle... I pop it in every night as I go to bed and in the morning it's 100%... worth every penny of the price IMO.
  12. backlash

backlash New Member

I'm guessing wherever you place your phone at night...........that it's prob searching for a signal............or that it's going in and out of 3G coverage, which drains your battery.

If you can't find a solid spot to keep your phone, put that sucker into airplane mode at night time.
  13. JhankG

JhankG New Member

Just stick your phone on the charger every night and your problem is solved. Leaving it on the charger is not bad for the battery, so why wouldn't you do this if you want a full charge each day?
  14. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Well, 40% is probably as high as you want it to be when you plug in the charger, but letting it go to 20% or even 15% is fine. I personally like to plug it in at 20% but if it's not convenient for me and I'm at 40% I'll plug in at that time as well.
  15. JhankG

JhankG New Member

As far as I know, it doesn't matter how much battery you have left. You can charge it when you want, for as long as you want, without causing any problems.
  16. LrdElderon

LrdElderon New Member

Charging from a wall outlet is much faster then charging from a computers usb port.....

that said you mentioned using dolphin? I know some people have mentioned that sometimes dolphin or other browsers that have gps on for local search sometimes seem to glitch out and the gps stays on after the browser is closed which is a pretty big battery drain.

or it could be as the other user pointed out, that you are dropping in and out of signal coverage and the phone is using power trying to keep the signal. do you have any connection issues at home? low signal, slow speeds...etc?

I'm thinking most likely since you say you charge only from your computers usb port is that your computer is going into sleep mode or turning off and once it's off it's not sending a charge into the phone at all.....

dunno
  17. StupidGenius

StupidGenius Member

Totally agree with this statement. I have a friend that works in IT and he has told me that charging through your computer's USB is far from the best method of keeping any device properly charged. Use the charger as many have stated and stay away from aftermarket since there have been a few reports of quirks with them.
  18. windstrings

windstrings New Member

What concerns me is it ways 80% was voice calls... .sure someone is not using your phone after you go to bed?..... LOL!

As far as WiFi... someone could have changed your default settings and even when your not using it.. its still engaged.....

for fun, check wireless & networks---> Wi-Fi settings---->menu---> advanced----> Wi-fi sleep policy----> It should be on "when screen turns off by default".. if someone checked "never" it would be a drain all night....

but it sounds like someone is making calls based on what your battery usage says. "80% voice call usage?".... Maybe its the Devil! :icon_ devil:
  19. Tillers_Rule

Tillers_Rule New Member

I wish my wife would go down on me at night:icon_ banana:
  20. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

and out of left field...... lol :)
Search tags for this page
android battery runs down during night

battery goes down when not using android

how does my phone battery die when im not even using my phon
my phone battery goes down so fast at night
photo bucket draining battery