Why does my batter die so quick, its new?

eliassami5

Reaction score
make sure to follow the battery charging instructions when you first get your phone. It will make a noticeable difference in battery life if you do what it tells you.

Hurtem

Reaction score
Working at Verizon I often find that reps do not set the expectations of battery life when selling Droids or any smart phone for that matter. Sometimes people will assume that a Droid will last 4 days like their old LG-VX5300 did, when in reality that would only happen if the phone sat there with every service turned off. I charge my phone often twice a day, but I use my phone to its fullest capabilities.

butch350

Reaction score
Unless the battery use in your about phone is indicating an unusual amount of usage I wouldn't worry about GPS. It only comes on when you use it.

These phones require a lot of power so charging daily or even twice daily is normal.

It only comes on when using it - that also includes any apps running in
the backround that requires "GPS".

Slider46

Reaction score
make sure to follow the battery charging instructions when you first get your phone. It will make a noticeable difference in battery life if you do what it tells you.

This does help with battery life. Upon getting a new phone (or battery) the phone should be charged for 24 hours (without use). Then you run the battery until the phone turns off. Charge back to 100% and then drain again to 0%. Repeat once more. Battery life should improve some.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

This does help with battery life. Upon getting a new phone (or battery) the phone should be charged for 24 hours (without use). Then you run the battery until the phone turns off. Charge back to 100% and then drain again to 0%. Repeat once more. Battery life should improve some.

They are correct, especially with running the battery all the way down for at least two cycles after first getting it. This helps immensely.

Anonymouse

Reaction score
Wow, I envy you guys with amazing battery lives. I take my phone off the charger at ~6AM, text 10 mins every hour (in between classes), take the bus home(while on the bus checking email and browser and texting), and get home at 350PM with 10% battery left. I have everything turned off, including background data. What am I doing wrong?

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Wow, I envy you guys with amazing battery lives. I take my phone off the charger at ~6AM, text 10 mins every hour (in between classes), take the bus home(while on the bus checking email and browser and texting), and get home at 350PM with 10% battery left. I have everything turned off, including background data. What am I doing wrong?

Was is your display set to? Turn it all the way down, if possible, or at least set it to automatic. The display is usually one of the biggest battery drains. Also check the Battery Usage under Settings to see what it says is using your battery.

Anonymouse

Reaction score

Was is your display set to? Turn it all the way down, if possible, or at least set it to automatic. The display is usually one of the biggest battery drains. Also check the Battery Usage under Settings to see what it says is using your battery.

I have my display at 0 at all times, no auto brightness. When I get home from school today (I'm doing this from the bus to school :/) I'll post up my percentages.

Anonymouse

Reaction score
Okay, I have percentages:
7h 50m 58s since unplugged (I unplugged it a full charge)
Display 54%
Android System 9%
Voice calls 8%
Cell standby 8%
Phone idle 8%
MySpace 3%
Browser 3%
Android OS 3%
Opera Mini 5 Beta 2%
Handcent SMS 2%

And right now I got a warning for 15% left, please plug into charger.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score

Common misconception.

Initialize a new battery. New batteries should be fully charged before their first use to obtain maximum capacity. Nickel-based batteries should be charged for 16 hours initially and run through 2-4 full charge/full discharge cycles, while lithium ion batteries should be charged for about 5-6 hours. Ignore the phone telling you that the battery is full--this is normal but is not accurate if the battery is not initialized. #DO NOT fully discharge a lithium-ion battery! Unlike Ni-Cd batteries, lithium-ion batteries' life is shortened every time you fully discharge them. Instead, charge them when the battery meter shows one bar left. Lithium-ion batteries, like most rechargeable batteries have a set amount of chargers in them.

How to Make Your Cell Phone Battery Last Longer - wikiHow