Why does my batter die so quick, its new?

jets91090

Reaction score
For some reason it always drops from like 90% to 50% even when it's in my pocket for even an hour and I'm not even on it or using any apps. It's on automatic brightness also. I don't charge it over night either.

Last edited:

mikenilson

Reaction score
Since getting this phone I charge it every night and sometimes during the day also (huge battery hog). My old phone (LG Chocolate) only saw the charger once or twice a week. I guess we just got to get used to it.

ldimick

Reaction score
Turn off GPS and disable Location Services. Also, make sure your phone has a good signal. It eats the battery searching for towers and 3G

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Unless the battery use in your about phone is indicating an unusual amount of usage I wouldn't worry about GPS. It only comes on when you use it.

These phones require a lot of power so charging daily or even twice daily is normal.

sustained

Reaction score
Turn off wifi when you're not using it. Having the Droid continually searching for a wifi signal is a huge drain on the battery. Install the Power Widget, then it's easy to turn on wifi when you need it.

Once I did that my battery life increased greatly. But I do leave GPS on. It doesn't seem to be much of a drain for me.

EDIT: If you're already doing that, maybe your new battery is bad. Is your new battery is a cheap one? I've found that cheap OEM batteries can sometimes be bad and will not hold a charge well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The first one I had did that. Then one day the screen stopped working, I took it back and they swapped it for me. My new one is much much better. The difference I noticed was that the battery on the new one had no charge at all when I got it.

dawgintn

Reaction score
My wife's droid would drop really bad, everynight she would go from 100 to 50. We took it back to verizon and got a new one. The guy tried to say it was normal and she needed a task killer. Well new one keeps a great charge

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
Look at the Battery Usage info in Settings. It will tell you what is using most of your battery life.

Reaction score
*228# on VZW will let you update your roaming and tower info. It should help your battery life if you are in a low signal area.

I have a VZW BDA signal amplifier outside of my office door & my battery life is awesome. I still charge it nightly but have no problems with it suddenly dying. I run blue-tooth, GPS, Touchdown (push) and location services all the time and use the internet feature all the time.

The only time I noticed it eat battery power is if it is in the car dock and being used as a navigation device & this is understood to be a battery hog due to the screen being on all time & huge data transfer since I like the google satellite view & traffic layers activated.

SANhacker

Reaction score
I still don't get this.
I have a charger in my car and home.
Why would I care about battery life.

I mean we aren't talking about an iPhone which doesn't allow battery changes are we ???? What am I missing ?

Yes, Village Idiot is my name. I'm likely the last one on the planet that doesn't understand this requirement.

My apologies for my stupidity. I'm still trying to learn.

Last edited:

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I still don't get this.
I have a charger in my car and home.
Why would I care about battery life.

I mean we aren't talking about an iPhone which doesn't allow battery changes are we ???? What am I missing ?

Yes, Village Idiot is my name. I'm likely the last one on the planet that doesn't understand this requirement.

My apologies for my stupidity. I'm still trying to learn.

You're not stupid, just unhelpful.

The OP seems to have a legitimate question about battery life, telling him to get another one and deal with it isnt helpful, considering most of us can get at least a day out of our phones.

OP: Make sure your GPS isnt running in the background (satellite icon), when GPS runs all the time, it eats through battery. If it's not running, then figure out what is with the previous post's instructions and report back.

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
My apologies. I ment no ill intent.

No worries, sometimes you have to flame the OP, this wasnt one of those times.

Battery life over typical use of the phone should be 12-20 hours (plenty of people get more, people who use it for geocaching get less), so if the OP isnt getting this over regular use, then something's wrong.

Maybe it's me, I get tired of answering tethering questions and rooting questions, so I love the chance to answer something new/different.

butch350

Reaction score
I have the power widget on my left screen.

I shut down wi-fi, bluetooth, GPS, mail, especially when I'm playing mp3s,
and stop all Apps running in the backround.

haythem1992

Reaction score
Since i rooted and set cpu profiles my battery lasts from 7 am till 12 am with it still in the green, about a third left.