Why does BD recommend Medium Voltage over Low Voltage kernels?

Discussion in 'Blackdroid' started by bodean, Apr 6, 2010.

1. bodean

bodean Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Any ideas?

2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Most phones rarely get LV kernels above 1.0 GHz to work correctly on their phones - only a very few have gotten it working correctly.

3. Jaxpr3394

Jaxpr3394 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1.2 LV ftw :D

4. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    No. That's not true.

BD releases software every 4-5 days. It doesn't work right (see the many threads about how it doesn't work.) Then he releases yet another version that truthfully DOES work for some but sadly not for all.

I gave up on BD's UD. Now I see it's up to 9.5. Oops by the time you read this it's likely higher. It's hilarious.

I've used AdamZ's 250-1.2GHz and Chevy's 125-1.1GHz. low voltage. I prefer the latter only because at 125MHz, the LV kernel really doesn't chew up power.

Cheers,

E

5. GreedyBird

GreedyBird Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Personally as someone that is in school to eventually become a circuit designer, I don't want my voltages changed much (if at all) from what the circuit designers decided is best. There are many many trade offs that are considered, to chose what voltages they do. It is very counter-intuitive but it is very possible to drain the battery faster at lower voltage.

Yes frequency is related to voltage, however, the reason on stock voltages some can get up to 800Mhz is because of excess margin that is put into the clock frequency to insure everyone can work at 600.

My phone would constantly not wake up with low voltage kernels requiring a battery pull. With medium (closest to stock) I have not once had that issue.

6. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6

Read my article on Voltage 101

7. wnrussell

wnrussell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Last night I updated to 9.0 and as soon as I finished he was up to 9.5, so I installed that and got into endless boot loop. There were about 6 posts here in the 9.5 thread about that last night. Today that thread and the 9.5 ROM have been erased.

Just shows how little (if any) testing is done before release.

8. Skull One

Skull One Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Actually there is a great deal of testing done.

The issue is "Clean Room" vs "Real World" testing. If you have 5 Droids setup for testing, what is being tested? My configuration? Yours? And there is the issue. He can't test every condition. He can only test maybe 10 to 20 Droids and their configurations. I give BlackDroid a great deal of credit for getting it right more often than getting it wrong.

9. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can run Chevy's 1.25ghz low voltage kernel with no problems, but I haven't noticed any difference in heat output compared to the 1.25ghz medium voltage kernel. Try both LV and MV and use whichever your phone seems to like more. You can run a stress test from within the setcpu app to see how your kernel will do under a heavy workload.

10. jourdannick

jourdannick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Don't go around saying that until you actually know what's going on. Many people (usually around 13) test BDs realeases and they work fine. Last night when bd realesed 9.5 and had to pull it back, he had some of us in the irc chat testing his updates to see if it fixed the problem.

11. huskur

huskur Senior Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Your real answer is......

Medium Voltage kernals tend to be more stable. Low voltage kernals are offered for those of us that have a droid that will handle the low voltage without issues.

Medium voltage tend to have heat problems. So if you do use a MV kernal i suggest not pushing it to the limits "all" the time. (now and then won't hurt) Just keep an eye on your battery temperature. Processor is good to like 170 degrees

Search tags for this page

what does overvoltage mean in a android phone