Why do we have to root to get cool features?

LMac8806

Reaction score
Why is it that rooting is required to access so many cool features? I'm not asking what rooting is, I'm just wondering why so many of these features aren't allowed on stock phones (i.e. speeding up processor, increased customization).

DanDroidX

Reaction score
It is easy for someone who doesn't know what they are doing( i.e. most normal consumers) to break/brick a device that has those features available. Android is built so that anyone with fingers that is literate can use it. Rooted Android is for geeks who want it to be better, and are willing to risk breaking their phone in order to achieve it.

kennydied23

Reaction score
They don't allow rooting because of the potential hazards it comes with. You're more likely to have something go wrong with your phone, then you'd have to take it in and get it fixed. It cost money to fix phones, and by blocking root, less people break their phones by rooting. Hope you can understand that :)

EbE404

Reaction score
Why is it that rooting is required to access so many cool features? I'm not asking what rooting is, I'm just wondering why so many of these features aren't allowed on stock phones (i.e. speeding up processor, increased customization).

The simple answer is that in order to get features such as the ones you mention, mods need to be made to the phone that have potential to do physical damage (overclocking can create excessive heat that can wreck the hardware) or cause stability problems.

Additionally, some of the features you can access when rooting are things that Verizon might not want users to have (WiFi tether, for example, although I don't get why they don't just charge for it like they do with the other phones).

This is the same reason that rooting will void you warranty and is not handled via official tech support.

Some things are simply going to be off limits without rooting. However, in regards to customization, there are still a lot of options for unrooted phones. For example, there are home screen replacements that are available that allow you a huge amount of control and flexibility.

mcapozzi

Reaction score
Lets forget about overclocking and tethering for a moment.

I think the majority of users would be happy with an un-rooted phone as long as they could theme it.

I also think that the majority of users would be happy with an un-rooted phone if the OS was kept up to date.

-Mike

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It is easy for someone who doesn't know what they are doing( i.e. most normal consumers) to break/brick a device that has those features available. Android is built so that anyone with fingers that is literate can use it. Rooted Android is for geeks who want it to be better, and are willing to risk breaking their phone in order to achieve it.

With all due respect DanDroidX, to say that this post is erroneous would be an understatement.

motodroid34

Reaction score

Cuss otherwise you'll be paying $5.99 a month per each feature.

And wireless tether would be extra $39.99 monthly.

lowboy

Reaction score
Rooted Android is for geeks who want it to be better, and are willing to risk breaking their phone in order to achieve it.
Is that what I is now?

eliassami5

Reaction score

I think the majority of users would be happy with an un-rooted phone as long as they could theme it.

I also think that the majority of users would be happy with an un-rooted phone if the OS was kept up to date.

-Mike

it sounds simple but its not. There are an infinite number of features users would have like to be included in the phone from the factory. But truth is that it costs a lot of money to pay developers to write codes for these features and implement them in a way that they will be almost 100% stable and will not interfere with other operations of the phone. Bugs need to be found and sorted out, and each additional feature offers new challenges and obstacles. In the end it all comes down to money and its just cheaper to produce a phone with the core essential features, and as much customization and flexibility as their budget allows for.

EbE404

Reaction score

-Mike

it sounds simple but its not. There are an infinite number of features users would have like to be included in the phone from the factory. But truth is that it costs a lot of money to pay developers to write codes for these features and implement them in a way that they will be almost 100% stable and will not interfere with other operations of the phone. Bugs need to be found and sorted out, and each additional feature offers new challenges and obstacles. In the end it all comes down to money and its just cheaper to produce a phone with the core essential features, and as much customization and flexibility as their budget allows for.

To speak to both points here, a great example of both addressing the theming topic as well as the issues that this brings up is Sweeter Home:

SweeterHome - Start - sweeterhome.com

This is a great piece of software that I use (and love). It provides a huge amount of flexibility in customization, and even allows users to download and try out themes.

But...

There is a learning curve. You need to be able to do basic editing even to downloaded themes. There are also issues in dealing with the behavior and form factors of different devices. Simply creating a theme for a specific Android build is not enough, you also need to factor in screen size and other issues.

This is a great piece of software that works brilliantly, but it has been in beta for ages, is still in beta, and does have some bugs (that you might find or not, depending on how you use the device).

A lot of this gets into what kind of "customization" you are actually talking about, what it takes to achieve that, and what compromises you make to get it. The basic level would be to offer the system as it is now-where you have a reasonably stable core OS and a user customizes it using apps and widgets and launchers. The next step would be to use a home screen replacement to get a specific theme, which can decrease stability but offer greater (albeit still somewhat limited) customization. Finally, you have the rooters, who want the ultimate customization and are willing to take the most extreme risks with their devices and systems (I fall into the last category, while my wife falls into the first).

mcapozzi

Reaction score

-Mike

Most of the true problem lies in the fact that these companies pour millions of dollars into modifying Android into their "vision" which ends up making the phone worse instead of better. They then paint themselves into a corner cause their hacks make the phone impossible to upgrade easily.

At least HTC gets it right with Sense, can't say I feel the same way about MotoBlur.

-Mike

iPirate

Reaction score

-Mike

Most of the true problem lies in the fact that these companies pour millions of dollars into modifying Android into their "vision" which ends up making the phone worse instead of better. They then paint themselves into a corner cause their hacks make the phone impossible to upgrade easily.

At least HTC gets it right with Sense, can't say I feel the same way about MotoBlur.

-Mike

Blur on Droid X felt like the same version of the OS on my Droid with a few extra apps... I didnt really notice a difference.