Why do we have such an obsession with saving SMS and MMS?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by FootballRef, May 29, 2010.

1. FootballRef

FootballRef Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not a flame, we all have thoughts on this.

My view is as long as I can keep a few messages from a person that is all I need. If there is actually something I need to keep, then I will lock the message so it doesn't delete. I must admit I was content on older phones that kept 50 messages that I each sent and received.

Why do people on here feel the need to keep every text they have received/sent? Is it an age thing? I am 35 and could care less what so and so sent me 3 months ago typically.

#1 FootballRef, May 29, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 29, 2010
  2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +24
    Current Phone Model:
    iPhone 7+ 256gb
    Once I read them, I could care less if they stay or get deleted.

3. nooter99

nooter99 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Might be an age thing. I'm 48 and delete all my messages everyday. To me, messaging is nothing more than a conversation. When I have a conversation with someone, I don't record it. So when I text with someone, I see no need to save it.

4. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +22
    I'm 44 and delete my messages routinely. My wife is 31 and saves a lot of messages and gets upset when I delete the messages she sends me.....

5. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I leave them, but only because that keeps them in handcent so I don't have to go digging thru contacts and go that route... If it wasn't for that, I agree... once I read them, I don't need them anymore.

6. iPirate

iPirate Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I delete them. Once the thread reaches around 300 I delete them manually.

I don't need to save 200 messages of "ok i'm here" "want to eat?" "my anus is bleeding"

7. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire Active Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I'm 24 and I delete my messages a lot. If I need to save something I'll put it in Google Docs or NoteEverything Pro (app for Droid). It would be cool to have an unlimited repository of text messages so I could search for something I said/someone said in the past but we'll have to wait till we can store these on SD Cards or something. Whoever thought of storing them on phone memory was just insane, especially MMS. My old dumb phones were smart enough to allow you to store those on SD cards.

8. samredman

samredman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Some people want to keep them for legal purposes (for example, if being threatened or perhaps concerning business transactions or maybe for divorce or family court matters). Others want to retain messages for sentimental reasons, such as exchanges with persons in a romantic relationship or perhaps messages from a grandchild.

I only keep those involving business situations where records of the exchanges make sense for associates to use in particular projects. Other messages (non business) I usually wait and then delete the thread after the conversation has played out. And I'll be 69 in a few months (but, with literally over 30 years of daily computer experience)... so it doesn't seem to be a matter of age as much as how skilled someone is in organizing their communications. I have shown several of my employees how to keep their business messages for use in project reports and taught them the value in avoiding the clutter of keeping everything that has ever been said (it's just of form of hoarding... a bit of training and self discipline goes a long way in learning how to be effective on any computer).

9. nlinecomputers

Ratings:
    +1
    I don't delete any messages but that just because I haven't bothered to do so. If they all vanished today it wouldn't bother me. There is nothing in a TEXT message or SMS that is sent to me that is important. Even my business related texts are usually notifications or copies of more permanent contact.

10. yago20

yago20 Member

Ratings:
    +0

I delete my messages after each conversation, however I think I will save the first conversation I have with someone that mentions their anus bleeding. Somehow with my friends there would be a great story behind it. Thanks for the laugh this morning!

11. iPirate

iPirate Active Member

Ratings:
    +0

12. FootballRef

FootballRef Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Seems like most are in the same boat as me and don't feel the need for lots of texts remaining on their phone.

I just see threads on here quiet a bit about people wanting to keep their texts or complaining when texts are deleted (by updates and I am sure by their carelessness sometimes)

Search tags for this page

mms obsession