Why do themes need specific roms??

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by rda990, Oct 17, 2010.

1. rda990

rda990 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I don't get it,why do i need a specific ROM? It makes sense to only need root but not a specific ROM, what would happen if i were to flash a theme on a rooted phone without a ROM??

2. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +215
    It could cause random reboots....bootloops and all manner of malfunctions. Each ROM is a little different. How they go about their tweaks and what they do. The themes are made to work with those modifications. If you try a them for ROM A on ROM B they more than likely won't work. Same goes for themes for different phones. We all running 2.2, but a theme for a DX won't work on a D2 or D1.

Sent from somewhere...

3. rda990

rda990 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    =/ yeah themes for different phones and different firmware make sense but i still think themes should be universal within ROMS/firmware on the same phone. Im going to try the theme i like on just a rooted 2.2 ancd see if it works,ill have a backup so nothing to lose.

4. Manigma77

Manigma77 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can do that if you like, but it will no longer be the stock rom. It will have pieces of the rom it was meant for.

I convert the themes i like into metamorph themes so i can use them on any rom but they can still be rom specific because of name changes in folders such as res/drawablehdmiv4 as compared to res/drawablehdmi. Yes, it would be nice if it was simple but as of now, you need some tech knowledge to theme the way you want. The best thing you can do is read up on it and learn to do it yourself, that way your rom can look the way YOU want it to.

5. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My Best Explanation:

A ROM is like a dog. All dogs are different lengths and sizes. A theme is like a silly sweater that grandma knits for the dog. Now, each sweater needs to be knit to fit the dog it was made for. If you try to put the big sweater on the small dog, it might fit but it wont work quite right... and if you try to put the small sweater on the big fat dog, it won't work at all!

6. fizeke136

fizeke136 Member

Ratings:
    +0

Really nice explanation...lol felt like i had to say that.

7. thebowers

thebowers Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    If all the roms were not made from source your theory would work. Changes are made in the framework-res.apk and services.jar to make things custom to those roms. Hence you need the theme for that specific rom. If you are just talking images, then that can be done with MM. Good luck with that though as all rom developers don't use the same name for .apk's. Also MM doesn't play nice with some roms.