Why do some hate Motorolla?

loki993

Reaction score
With the Bionic coming out soon hopefully I will be getting a new phone. My choices are down the the Thunderbolt and the Bionic. I like the TB, but the battery issues bother me and the price is high for what it is to me.

The Bionic on the other hand has a dual core processor, but may be crippled by motoblur. Even if it isn't there probably wont be much of a performance increase in the real world because there isn't anything out there that takes advantage of the dual core yet, so that's a wash.

I would prefer the Bionic for the same money honestly, but I hear people say things like they would never buy another moto phone again. Why is this?

dfuser312553

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you're into modding your phone an encrypted bootloader is a serious turn off.

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
motorola has started actively locking us out of our devices. if you have interest in rooting and roming your device, motorola has clearly become the wrong place to go. and in the last week they have been targeting developers for the droid line, shutting down websites.

OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
Yes I'm definitely interested in rooting the phone or at least being able to load a vanilla version of andriod on it to get rid of all the bloatware that HTC or Moto or especially Verizon will surely put on them.

Is it possible to load a vanilla version of Android with a locked boot loader? Can you just wipe and reinstall the OSes on these phones like blackberrys?

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nope you cant dont get a Moto.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
motorola has started actively locking us out of our devices. if you have interest in rooting and roming your device, motorola has clearly become the wrong place to go. and in the last week they have been targeting developers for the droid line, shutting down websites.

This basically sums up the entire thing.... we (team get r done) got shut down and just got our site back up and running last night. I was only considering getting away from moto before that, now I deffinately am.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Yes, they sign the bootloader but don't encrypt it. Moto encrypts theyres so we can't get custom kernels running on them. The kernel is basically what makes truly stock (called aosp) roms work correctly. With the moto kernel they have a ton of bugs because moto has put blur so into that it requires certain bits to run.

Sent from my Liberated D2G

jr313

Reaction score
Motorola=no open source...except for Original Droid...now not so much...of course just my opinion

Last edited:
Reaction score
i love my original droid for it being so unlocked...i have absolutely zero interest in any moto phones in the foreseeable future as blur blows and they lock them down something fierce...plus i expect battery problems with this being the first gen of dual core phones coming out...

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i love my original droid for it being so unlocked...i have absolutely zero interest in any moto phones in the foreseeable future as blur blows and they lock them down something fierce...plus i expect battery problems with this being the first gen of dual core phones coming out...

The new blur is actually real nice and I like it, thanks to p3 droid leaking the d2 gb for us, with that said I will not buy another motorola product as long as they continue to lock us out. I make my choice with my wallet and it wont be for motorola.

mkjellgren

Reaction score
+1. I LOVED my d1, but honestly only because it was completely unlocked. I'm on the HTC bandwagon now and don't see myself jumping off until there are some serious changed in moto's philosophy regarding the aosp.

And for anyone who argues "but we have GB on the dx/2 so I don't really care", Chevyno1 has already released a proof of concept stock GB build for the tbolt (true stock GB...not GB w/blur...) and there are reports of kernels clocked up to 1.8ghz floating around. This sh*t is about to get crazy.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Last edited:
OP
L

loki993

Reaction score
+1. I LOVED my d1, but honestly only because it was completely unlocked. I'm on the HTC bandwagon now and don't see myself jumping off until there are some serious changed in moto's philosophy regarding the aosp.

And for anyone who argues "but we have GB on the dx/2 so I don't really care", Chevyno1 has already released a proof of concept stock GB build for the tbolt (true stock GB...not GB w/blur...) and there are reports of kernels clocked up to 1.8ghz floating around. This sh*t is about to get crazy.

Nice

The only things that really bother me about the TB are the battery, the screen and the price.

I know that custom ROMS can address battery life but its not something that should be necessary IMO, with the TB it basically is

The screen is just ok, its noting really special.

And the price. 250 for whats basically a EVO 4G refresh with more ram. The Inspire is nearly exactly the same on ATT ans its only 99.

The fact that I should be able to do what I want to it can make me ignore most of that.

Hopefully the TB comes down after the new Samsung and Bionic come
out.

jr313

Reaction score
The inspire maybe 99 dollars but att imo is garbage if u want to make calls from your phone....a buddy of mine has att and hes always droppn calls or has no bars..i live in MI...