Why do people use Droid Root Helper etc

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Matth3w, Feb 2, 2010.

1. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Seems that there are a ton of issues with force closing, remounting etc etc. You don't need to use these programs to root your droid. The only program outside of the rom/update/SPR files that you should need is terminal emulator. Anything else and you are adding additional chances for screw ups in your steps, in my opinion.

2. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    thank you for your opinion. DRH worked well for me and i didn't have to do a ton of typing (wanna talk about chances to screw up..) in a terminal emulator.

that's why.

3. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I wasn't criticizing those who have used it I was just asking if there was a particular reason. I have seen a lot of people with force close issues trying to use it, so I was trying to figure out if there was a reason, other than not having to type out the commands obviously. :)

4. Sam

Sam Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    not having to type out commands and ease of use. not everyone is having FC issues, you are just hearing about all of them.

5. Matth3w

Matth3w Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    True I guess, huh? You normally only hear about things when people complain, never to praise, right? :icon_ banana:

6. cpjr

cpjr Senior Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Same here, use it cause its just easy.

No problems yet **knocks on wood**

7. agent42o

agent42o Member

Ratings:
    +0
    if it keeps 10% of the people from coming here and saying "help, how do I install roms" I am all for it. I bought DRHPro just to support the author, because there's a chance that some important development might not get knocked back to page 3 in 4 hours because of "please help" threads.

8. crspang

crspang Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I used it and I did have the F/C issues but the instructions included with DRH said it was going to FC.

The main reason I used it is because I don't have a clue what I'm doing either. lol

9. djstarion

djstarion Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Only time I ever used DRH was when I first rooted and wanted to flash recovery, flash_image and busybox

10. GrandMasterB

GrandMasterB Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I am all about DRH. I think it is the shiznit for sure. Also I have noticed that many apps that require root access FC on the first run when you always allow...

Ease of use. I am NOT typing out all those damn commands if I dont have too :D

11. hughesjr

hughesjr Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use to use DRH because I am lazy :D

But since the sholes.info team added the sysrw and sysro aliases to their ROM, I just use their ROM and those aliases.

12. 52brandon

52brandon Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    DRH was pretty convenient when I first rooted. I bought DRP to support them. I suggest it to all new rooters. It made busybox, flash image and sprecovery installs quick and painless

13. jasonb

jasonb Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i couldn't get DRH to work so i did it the old fashioned way using the terminal emulator. the terminal emulator made it super easy, just kinda lengthy.

14. 19DroidRage84

19DroidRage84 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Instal of busybox/flash_image so simple. After awhile FC's seemed to quit.

Kept the old versioin of DRH to change boot animations on the go!

15. wil318466

wil318466 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree, but also the ease of use is a BIG deal when it comes to this type of thing. People get really nervous messing with things they don't know about. I'm not as nervous anymore because I installed 3-5 times, had issues, went back to stock, reinstalled. I feel comfortable.

The easier, the better. Personally, I just did the root/install rom thing without Droid Root Helper. It DOES seem some people are having problems with it, but we probably hear more about the problems than the success stories.

Its frustrating that some people have issues, and some don't. The thing I wonder is "why"? Is it an app? Is it a particular setup? Oh well. My phone is perfect right now except for 2 VERY small bugs, which I can more than live with, they are almost not worth mentioning.

-Wil