Why do manufacturers add skins/bloatware to Android instead of keeping it vanilla?

r314bd

Reaction score
It seems the overwhelming majority of consumers (or at least the majority of vocal consumers) prefer the stock vanilla Android experience.

Why do they do this?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It's supposed to make it more approachable and easier to use. I prefer vanilla android, but I also really like HTC Sense. Right now I'm using a ROM that uses vanilla android and I even like to change that up and use LauncherPro.

Putting their own UI differentiates them from other companies. Some of us prefer MotoBlur, Sense, or Touchwiz and that's another good thing about Android, even out the box different launchers.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Differentiation from the other manfacturers and a custom "more user friendly" experience. Which in my experience translates to bloated apps and a slower, more laggy phone.

Chukee

Reaction score
They should give u a choice. To have an overlay or pure droid experience. Then the consumer can go with the phone they like best. It isn't that hard to do and it won't cost them anything.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
They should give u a choice. To have an overlay or pure droid experience. Then the consumer can go with the phone they like best. It isn't that hard to do and it won't cost them anything.

This would be a nice option, but by doing so it makes it less of their product. They put their UI to make it their phone and to differentiate from other companies. If you ask any rep or even a user of say a HTC phone, they're going to tell you that Sense is a huge part of the phone. I have an Inc and used stock Sense for about a year until I rooted and ROM'd. It's still an HTC product, but with vanilla android I'm running now it feels less like an HTC product. That's how I feel about UIs anyway...

jcardona1

Reaction score
Ditto on having a choice. Would be nice if they made their 'skins' as a downloadable option from the Market instead of coming pre-installed.

Chukee

Reaction score
I am a user of an HTC phone and I will tell you that I would of still chosen an HTC phone. But if they offered the choice I would of gotten the pure droid interface. Sense is just a UI. That's it. It does make it easier for some users I agree but having a choice is good for the consumer. Right now to get the pure android experience I have to wait till Google decides to bring a nexus to my carrier and still its only one manufactor. If u look at linux it come with different UI installed but under the hood its still linux. Same with android.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score

My mom's LG Ally has a theme choice of vanilla or LG's version.

X