Why do I need a custom ROM?

Lakaduce

Reaction score
I figured this title would attract a little attention so hopefully the helpful advice will outweigh the flamers!

I have a Droid X that I love, but am always looking for new tweaks. I'm thinking that a new ROM is next but looking at what the real benefits are from my current configuration:

I installed a custom rooted GB update, patched with the WugPacked GB WiFi tether patch. Overclocked with Milestone to 1.3 GHz, I use SetCPU to reduce the processor speed to a max of 800 MHz when the screen is off. I am running Juice Defender Ultimate, Autokiller with the Extreme presets, and Titanium Backup. My free memory averages about 150MB. I am using Go Launcher EX as my home app.

My battery life is pretty good (about x1.9 according to JuiceDefender) and after 12 hours I'm typically still at 30-40% battery. I have very few Force Closes and maybe two or three random reboots per month. The only issue i have is sometimes the home screen is a little sluggish, otherwise seems to be running fine.

I am tempted to tweak and add a custom ROM, but wonder what it is that I would be gaining (or losing). Any advice is appreciated from those that have done it and which one they'd recommend.

cush2push

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
you dont need a custom rom but a custom rom every one is different will add features some will have extra lockscreens some blur less some not if you wanted to try a custom rom i would suggest go to each one and look over the features the benefits and the bugs and see whats best for you everyone is different whether youre looking for battery life to a ton of features that stock can not offer

OP
L

Lakaduce

Reaction score
Is there a good source to compare ROMs with features and screenshots?

Along with a sleeker look, I would like a ROM that improves performance and battery life.

shaggykid

Reaction score
I recently flashed cm7 and.love it. I've tried Liberty, and liquid, but I'm sticking with CM. Phone is sleek, great performance, and a nice battery life

Sent from your mom's house using my Droid X