Why did we get cheated

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
multitouch requires two hand to work. I like one handed double tapping.

I don't feel like i'm missing out, neither should you.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow. That was some horrible grammar and spelling. I think you were cheated...

by the U.S. school system.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Personally, I think it's easier and can be done with one hand, the other method is much more cumbersome.
Most people have more than one finger on each hand.

I think the meaning behind that is when you only have one hand free, kinda hard to use pinch zoom with only 1 hand free... double tap works much better in that situation. I know youll say well how many times will you find yourself in that situation, well for me.. quite a few.

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Personally, I think it's easier and can be done with one hand, the other method is much more cumbersome.
Most people have more than one finger on each hand.

I think the meaning behind that is when you only have one hand free, kinda hard to use pinch zoom with only 1 hand free... double tap works much better in that situation. I know youll say well how many times will you find yourself in that situation, well for me.. quite a few.

When I have my phone in landscape, being left handed I think I had an advantage to the one handed pinch zoom technique. It's easier for me because I don't have THE CHIN in the way, lol.

drewshaver

Reaction score

:icon_ devil: These sorts of comments are moronic. :icon_ devil:

Yes double tapping has its advantages, .. you can do it with one hand. And when I only have one free hand, that is what i do.
But when I have 2 hands free, or even when my droid is docked in the car (often), having pinch would be nice. It allows finer level of control, is more intuitive, zooming out is easier.

Consider the case where droid has stock pinch zoom. If you don't like it, fine, don't use it, and it is the same device for you. But for us who would use it at least 1 case, that is a plus. They could easily have offered both methods without cluttering the ui or jumbling input (debatable ? i don't really think so but willing to read counter). assuming this, droid w/ pinch zoom > droid w/out pinch zoom.
This article, Editorial: Google's multitouch dilemma -- Engadget , in addition to the logical evidence, has convinced me that a backroom deal btwn google and apple has prevented the droid from attaining this feature. More accurately, the deal inspired google to STRIP the featuer from the device. This is important because it is not a passive mistake, but an active one.
Particularly interesting from the article was the quote that 'the software is not in googles control once it leaves the us', which means that when it is up to moto, they want to include it. We can therefore ascertain that google exerted its influence (unjustly) over motorola here in the us to keep the feature out.

,None of that has to do with why your comment was moronic. We are all entitled to our preferences and if you don't want to use it / like it then all the better for you.
You are moronic for assuming that the preferences of all other users are the same as yours. The ability to understand that other individuals have different POVs is generally developed by children btwn ages 3 and 5, and has even been exhibited in at least one type of monkey.

I am very dissapointed in google for this, nerfing their own product for any reason seems to contradict with their manta 'do no evil'. If it is truly beneficial to android long run, they should be open about their reasons, whereas in the article it is pretty clear he is hiding something (although the article IS intended to be sensationalist..so maybe I am jumping the gun, take your grains of salt all..)

BTW, this is not directed to just dezy, but about half the posters in this thread, claiming it to, not be that big a deal. when in fact it is a big deal, on principle.

Anywho, I said it before and I'll say it again..
Pin - Zoom FTW!!!!!!!!!!
40 secs in
[video=youtube;inTJRdG4zvg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inTJRdG4zvg&feature=player_embedded[/video]

It will be glorious when this is written into stock browser and maps.

/book --end

nerdbox08

Reaction score

:icon_ devil: These sorts of comments are moronic. :icon_ devil:

Yes double tapping has its advantages, .. you can do it with one hand. And when I only have one free hand, that is what i do.
But when I have 2 hands free, or even when my droid is docked in the car (often), having pinch would be nice. It allows finer level of control, is more intuitive, zooming out is easier.

Consider the case where droid has stock pinch zoom. If you don't like it, fine, don't use it, and it is the same device for you. But for us who would use it at least 1 case, that is a plus. They could easily have offered both methods without cluttering the ui or jumbling input (debatable ? i don't really think so but willing to read counter). assuming this, droid w/ pinch zoom > droid w/out pinch zoom.
This article, Editorial: Google's multitouch dilemma -- Engadget , in addition to the logical evidence, has convinced me that a backroom deal btwn google and apple has prevented the droid from attaining this feature. More accurately, the deal inspired google to STRIP the featuer from the device. This is important because it is not a passive mistake, but an active one.
Particularly interesting from the article was the quote that 'the software is not in googles control once it leaves the us', which means that when it is up to moto, they want to include it. We can therefore ascertain that google exerted its influence (unjustly) over motorola here in the us to keep the feature out.

,None of that has to do with why your comment was moronic. We are all entitled to our preferences and if you don't want to use it / like it then all the better for you.
You are moronic for assuming that the preferences of all other users are the same as yours. The ability to understand that other individuals have different POVs is generally developed by children btwn ages 3 and 5, and has even been exhibited in at least one type of monkey.

I am very dissapointed in google for this, nerfing their own product for any reason seems to contradict with their manta 'do no evil'. If it is truly beneficial to android long run, they should be open about their reasons, whereas in the article it is pretty clear he is hiding something (although the article IS intended to be sensationalist..so maybe I am jumping the gun, take your grains of salt all..)

BTW, this is not directed to just dezy, but about half the posters in this thread, claiming it to, not be that big a deal. when in fact it is a big deal, on principle.

Anywho, I said it before and I'll say it again..
Pin - Zoom FTW!!!!!!!!!!
40 secs in
[video=youtube;inTJRdG4zvg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inTJRdG4zvg&feature=player_embedded[/video]

It will be glorious when this is written into stock browser and maps.

/book --end

And again, when it doesn't look like a child drew it with crayons I'll be all over that browser like a fat kid on cake.:icon_ banana:

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Dolphin kinda has pin zoom as well, well it uses a similar concept, and easily doable with 1 finger. If you long press on a webpage on dolphin a menu will pop up. + and - are 2 of them, move your finger to the one you want and it zooms in or out. While not as "cool" as the pin to zoom, it works fairly well from my experience.

Last edited:

zigzags559

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that there won't be too many people responding to this question, as it's been talked about, to death.

I personally don't care for it (hate it really) on a phone...too much work to do the same thing as a tap or two, in one spot, can do... like the DROID does it.

Not to mention the increased smearing and fingering of the screen resulting from pinching and swiping.

I think that stuff is best used on track pads, and graphics tablets.

I agree. I personally don't like the pinch and zoom myself. My sister has the iPhone and used it before. I rather have the tap function instead. And I also agree by doing so, it will leave the screen all smeared with fingerprints.

mjs31

Reaction score
I should say that my preference not to use pinch zoom was strictly for the browser. I can see the benefits for somethings like maps etc. Typically I would use the double tap for the majority of things, but since the Droid has multi touch capability, I would also like to have the multi touch options all the way around including pinch zoom. I do not use Dolphin because it really only has pinch zoom. Yes I am aware of the ability to use gestures and do a zoom etc, but to me, the standard browser fits my needs much better. Having the choice should be put in to the Droid though and in app that can use it.

nyijedi

Reaction score
An even bigger travesty is that Google's "flagship phone" (the Nexus One) only has a virtual keyboard, yet the virtual keyboard doesn't utilize multitouch. I dislike virtual keyboards enough as it is, but to be limited to one w/o multitouch is annoying.

drewshaver

Reaction score
And again, when it doesn't look like a child drew it with crayons I'll be all over that browser like a fat kid on cake.:icon_ banana:
Lawl agreed. It is so sad, really, for such a good browser / suite of programs. You know you can hide most of the ui thought via settings. But ya i still pref dolphin even after that.

Dolphin kinda has pin zoom as well, well it uses a similar concept, and easily doable with 1 finger. If you long press on a webpage on dolphin a menu will pop up. + and - are 2 of them, move your finger to the one you want and it zooms in or out. While not as "cool" as the pin to zoom, it works fairly well from my experience.
All it ever does (for me anyway) is reset to the default zoom level. Can someone confirm this works properly for them? This would be REALLY nice feature, esp if while you hover over the magnifier, it peformed the zoom, and then the total zoom would be dependant on time spent hovering -- would allow fine tune control with a single hand.

I agree. I personally don't like the pinch and zoom myself. My sister has the iPhone and used it before. I rather have the tap function instead. And I also agree by doing so, it will leave the screen all smeared with fingerprints.
If you are worried about smearing the screen, don't get yourself a touch screen.

google is to cheap and did not wanta pay apple for it
This is very inaccurate. Apple does not own a patent on pinch zoom, no others (ie palm) are paying royalties for this feature. The endagdget article I posted confirms this fact.

An even bigger travesty is that Google's "flagship phone" (the Nexus One) only has a virtual keyboard, yet the virtual keyboard doesn't utilize multitouch. I dislike virtual keyboards enough as it is, but to be limited to one w/o multitouch is annoying.
Agreed, but you might find swype to be a reasonable solution.

zakany

Reaction score
The default apps should support multiple means of making their content easy for the user to read.

Pinch zoom, pin zoom, tap zoom. Everything should be available and able to be turned on and off at will.

drewshaver

Reaction score
The default apps should support multiple means of making their content easy for the user to read.

Pinch zoom, pin zoom, tap zoom. Everything should be available and able to be turned on and off at will.

oh , what a glorious day that will be.

manilaboy1vic

Reaction score
I don't understand everyone's hangup on pinch to zoom. Is double tapping that much more difficult then pinching? Personally, I think it's easier and can be done with one hand, the other method is much more cumbersome.

Actually, double tapping is easier. I actually hate pinch/zoom and never understood the fascination of it. My goal is to keep smudges off the screen and also not have to use both hands to work the browser.

+1 a quick double tap is less effort than the awkward pinch and spread bs..