Why did I receive the update with a rooted droid?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by tu3218, Apr 3, 2010.

1. tu3218

tu3218 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for another 2.1 thread, but I thought this was interesting. I thought it was well known that if you root your droid, all the update.zip disable OTA updates. Maybe I'm just misinformed but I'm pretty sure that was the consensus here, so if anyone could explain as to why I got the update that would be great. I clicked update later but I think I'm going to keep getting this update alert now. By the way I'm running droidmod 1.0.

2. kylo77

kylo77 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ran into this myself, I have DM1 Camel posted over at Droidmod that SPRecovery blocks the actual update. So I accepted the install, the phone rebooted into recovery but the install was aborted. Press reboot and the phone rebooted still in 2.01 with DM1. I did this a little while ago so i cannot say if it has blocked the reminder to upgrade...hopefully....

3. tu3218

tu3218 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yeah hopefully that works. I thought these roms blocked out this updates.

4. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Silver Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Rooting has nothing to do with blocking the OTA. Some ROM chefs block the OTA some don't. As mentioned above the OTA will not install with SPRecovery though.

To be safe others should perform this small edit to actually 'block' the OTA from being prompted on the phone:
    Block OTA Updates | Root Your Droid