why choose Rommanager vs sprecovery

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by arw01, May 25, 2010.

1. arw01

arw01 New Member

why choose Rom manager vs sprecovery

New to understanding the roms and trying to find out what one "rom loader" has in advantages or choices over the other.

Thanks
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
  2. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Rom manager makes it easier to install roms, especially Cyanogen.
    The difference is clockwork vs sprecovery. Clockwork has alot more features as far as recovery is concerned. I have a bias towards sprecovery, but I have to admit it do not have near as much features as clockwork.
  3. OneTenderRebel

OneTenderRebel New Member

I wouldn't say either necessarily has an advantage over the other. Rom Mananger is not the recovery though, it's clockwork. Rom Manager is awesome because you can download a ton of roms and themes straight from the app and it pretty much does all the work for you. Rom Manager does use Clockwork Recovery. There are a few roms out there that recommend using sprecovery but if you read up on the rom before hand you will know which ones they are. Hopefully that helps a little.
  4. pdroid

pdroid New Member

Because it is superior.
  5. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

Though I do see a LOT more problems revolving around ClockworkMod, I myself included. I see more reliability with SPRecovery.
  6. jntdroid

jntdroid DF Super Moderator Premium Member

With sprecovery you can mount the system (comes in handy for doing adb without booting up, among other things), and enable usb storage so you can get on the sd card without being booted up as well. I don't know if that can be done in clockwork - ?
  7. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

In my eyes, Clockwork Recovery is superior to SPRecovery for a few reasons, the key ones being:

- it's constantly being updated. It's been quite some time since SPRecovery saw an update, sometime around the beginning of the year IIRC.

- it's based on the "standard" version of Nandroid, thus, it tends to be used by the devs who do cross-platform work. It is more of a "standard" in the Android world

- it has an easy, OS-based interface (ROM manager) - one can do complete ROM swaps without a PC, something which is not recommended with SPRecovery
  8. mcsinfl

mcsinfl New Member

you don't need to choose, you can use both. rom manager allows you to flash either clockwork or sprecovery
  9. CorCor67

CorCor67 Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Rom Manager takes care of the work for you, you select the rom to download, when it finishes downloading you have the options to backup your current rom and wipe data and cache. Make your selections and then everything is automatic from there, you just have to wait for it to install and boot up.

Granted its not hard to do this manually, just sort of a luxury in my eyes...I've never had a problem using either method
  10. pc747

You can mount with clockwork the same way. You can also install roms with out renaming it update.zip. Again I am bias to sprecovery, but I have to give credit where its due.
  11. arw01

arw01 New Member

so good insights here

good information, thank you again.

If I decide to go with clockwork mod and then rom manager, is there a different root path than with the rsdlite process shown my droid-life and a few others?
  12. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

If your on 2.1, your only option is RSDLite. Either reverting back to 2.0.1 and rooting the old way, or rooting by flashing the sprecovery .sbf over 2.1, both requiring RSDLite.

EDIT: Off to bed. Have fun with the discussion! :p
  13. pc747

people with droids are use to and are comfortable with sprecovery. If we were introduced to clockwork at the same time sprecovery was released, and roms used both we would probably see more people choosing clockwork.
    The problem is that when clockwork was first released people were having problems and it seemed to take an act of God to get it off your phone. The negative stigma is still there. So some people do not feel comfortable unless they see the gold and blue writing of sprecovery. I am the same....If the rom do not have sprecovery I am hesitant even though clockwork has more features and offer an easier way to falsh roms from your phone. Through Rom manager you can install a rom from your sdcard ....any rom. You can even install a rom using from the rom manager screen and it will install it whil you play with your phone, of course it will reboot into recovery and so on...but it is a nice feature. So clockwork is far more advance, even though sprecovery is what people feel more comfortable with.
  14. cereal killer

cereal killer DF Administrator Staff Member

There is no substitute for good old SPRecovery and ADB. They are tried and true and will NEVER fail you.

Some people feel inconvenienced by going old school but I I personally feel its the best way to flash rom's. Maybe not the fastest but its definitely the best.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  15. kevdog

kevdog New Member

I'm not sure what the debate is about -- I've used both and still do -- and seriously guys, there isn't that much difference. Yes the packaging to the zips and such, but its just as easy to use both once you have a few tools inplace.

My biggest beef -- Update sperecovery. I guess that goes back to the old sholesmod breakup and dispute among the contributors, so I'll let sleeping dogs lie -- but seriously a new updated version with more features would be great.
  16. icculusX

icculusX Premium Member Theme Developer Premium Member

Personally I am a 100% SP Recovery guy.

I do use ROM Manager however to quickly flash between SP and Clockwork and to quickly install ROMs or Kernels for my own theming testing purposes. In the past I have had a few bad cases with ROM Manager's Clockwork recovery that made me never look back. My backups are always SP. No not because I am a UD user, I use many ROMs, I just NEVER had any issues with SP Recovery.
  17. arw01

arw01 New Member

Might drive the point home with the two posts for help from rom manager managers users today.
  18. Riddick

Riddick New Member

SPRecovery is better because it's proven to be stable. People keep repeating crap about how it hasn't been updated in a while, why the hell does an app that works perfectly for its intended use and doesn't screw up need to be updated?

However you'll just end up using whatever is supported by whatever rom you want to use. At the end of the day it doesn't matter, just use whichever you feel the most comfortable using or has the best support from whatever rom you want to install. If you use rom manager you can flash back and forth between either recovery method with one button.
  19. KingTee

KingTee New Member

+1.....Most 95% of the time when something goes wrong with a flash using clockwork its because of the user not being patient and following instructions. 5% of the time its clockwork. I myself switched from sprecovery a long time ago and haven't looked back. I have not experienced one problem since.
  20. actngrezy

actngrezy New Member Developer

I have been on sp since i first rooted. I do sometimes think about flashing clockwork because you can also format system data acache and boot just like i do with adb and sprecovery. Now i went to flash cyanogen a while ago to try it and a guy used sprecovery renamed it to update.zip and rom worked but you also had to flash google apps with it and im guessing that file was made for clockwork because it wouldnt work for a few people so i still have yet to try a cyanogen rom because of this. Im not sure if anyone has sp and cyanogem rom but just wondering? I also want to try clockwork because of the fact i could download the rom , kernel, and theme place them all on the sdcard and install them at once withouth having to rename them. Its also a good thing to rename to update.zip flash then boot rename flash and so on because if you load everything at once you will have a harder time diagnosing an issue. If you load a rom and it boots and works then the kernel u install next bootloops you know you have a kernel issue. Now for most part if you do bootloop it is a kernel issue but just using an example. Also i have been hesitant because of the previous problems with clockwork users had. I would be a little leary about flashing recovery systems constantly because i have never had a issue restoring or loading roms and what not w sp. Still would like to see clockwork and try it but im comfortable with sp. Andpersonally i would feel more comfortable downloading roms and things from the comp and flashing the old fashion way instead of rom manager but when i try it maybe ill change my mind.
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
Search tags for this page

gingerbreak lg optimus v

sprecovery download for optimus zip