Why Charger can't keep up with navigation (plus B&W screen power savings..or not)

roadrash

Reaction score
What charger is it exactly / can you provide links? I was told by a representative at Belkin that the "USB Charging" spec where D+ and D- are shorted made chargers not work with Apple devices, and that was their reasoning behind not offering any chargers that meet that spec. I haven't verified that to be the case, but I can't imagine they would have come up with that out of the blue. In fact, I've yet to see ANY evidence of any car charger at all that provides a USB port with D+ and D- shorted that wasn't manually modded.

Are you 110% positive that you're using a 2.1A iPad charger and your phone says "Charging (AC)" when connected to it? If that's true - I want to buy that charger!

And for anyone else in this thread - if you have found a car charger that gives you a USB port with the two middle pins (D+ and D-) shorted, such that your Galaxy Nexus will say "Charing (AC)" when plugged in with a standard microUSB cable - PLEASE post a link to the charger!

The AC chargers are the one that came with phone and one off monoprice that I don't see showing up anymore when I searched for it. I'm positive my phone says it's in AC charging mode when plugged into either.

The 2.1 A charger came with the iPad. It says AC as well. (I'm not talking about a car charger here) I'm sure you can just buy one at apple store but my experience is that it doesn't solve me problem.

Here is the first car charger I tried: http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10826&cs_id=1082602&p_id=6765&seq=1&format=2

It said AC charging as well. I didn't short anything out.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Se7enLC

Reaction score
The AC chargers are the one that came with phone and one off monoprice that I don't see showing up anymore when I searched for it. I'm positive my phone says it's in AC charging mode when plugged into either.

The 2.1 A charger came with the iPad. It says AC as well. (I'm not talking about a car charger here) I'm sure you can just buy one at apple store but my experience is that it doesn't solve me problem.

Here is the first car charger I tried: For only $1.13 each when QTY 50+ purchased - Car Charger (Cigarette Lighter) to USB Female Converter - Black | Car Charger Accessories

It said AC charging as well. I didn't short anything out.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking car chargers. Wall chargers seem to have their s*** together with following the spec, it's the car chargers that aren't keeping up for some reason. If that car charger you just linked to at monoprice is 1A and correctly wired, that might be a good choice for anybody experiencing this problem to try! Unless it can't really supply 1A or the tests done by the OP aren't accurate, there should be exactly no difference between that charger than a wall charger being powered by an inverter.

roadrash

Reaction score
No worries. That's the part that's surprising me...even my wall charger can't keep up with Netflix, even the 1A that came with phone (showing AC charge status). Given that, I wasn't surprised that 1A wasn't enough juice in the car charger either.

I wish I knew what the output of this charger is: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003NA0658

I bought that a Verizon store cause I was tired of hunting for cheap stuff. I don't believe it's only 1A because I can run pandora, navigation with screen on, and use glympse all at the same time and actually charge up at a decent clip.

As for my 2.1 A charger for iPad, I have to eat crow. I checked again and it's the ONE wall charger I have that charges in USB mode. The others (850 - 1000 mA) all charge in AC mode.

I guess I just need to find a wall charger that my phone will recognize as AC charger but puts out more than 1A. Still bugs me that there are plenty of you that are doing just fine with the 1A...if there weren't plenty of others having similar problem, I'd think I got busted phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

karimo40

Reaction score
Easy mod without opening charger or soldering

I took a piece of copper foil with an adhesive backing and used it to cover the middle two pins. You could probably get the same result with heavy duty aluminum foil and some rubber cement. Be sure not to wrap the foil around the bottom of the "tongue" as I did at first--it contacts the USB plug's ground casing which reverts it to USB charging. It sticks well enough but definitely would eventually come loose after too many plugs/unplugs, so I'm just keeping the cable plugged in permanently. Here's a couple of photos of how it looks.
View attachment 47322View attachment 47321

Don't worry about the glue not being conductive, since the copper/aluminum only needs to connect the pins on the plug, it doesn't matter if it is conducting between the two pins in the charger. I got this copper foil at a guitar service center.