Why Charger can't keep up with navigation (plus B&W screen power savings..or not)

wcjeep

Reaction score
With 4g I can draw down the battery while plugged in.

Reaction score
I noticed this with GN AND my Droid X. When using navigation the charger can't keep up. This blows big time :-/

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

roadrash

Reaction score
I purchased the Verizon Universal car charger with extra USB port and I was able to run navigation with screen on while streaming pandora and it gained charge. Packaging didn't say what the output was on the charger but my 1amp USB charger couldn't keep up (showed AC charging). More expensive than some other options others are saying worked well from Ebay and amazon but needed something immediately. I'm just glad something worked at all... It wasn't a deal breaker but was a disappointment that I had to keep turning off screen to prevent slow discharge while on road trips.

ConqSoft

Reaction score
My car has a built in 110v outlet. I'm thinking that using the AC adapter plugged into that should keep it fully charged with no issues, but I don't use my phone for navigation much anymore since I have built in nav.

Wonder if the same thing may be accomplished by using a 3rd party inverter? Someone who is having issues with this should give it a try and let us know the results. They are pretty reasonably priced these days.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
My car has a built in 110v outlet. I'm thinking that using the AC adapter plugged into that should keep it fully charged with no issues, but I don't use my phone for navigation much anymore since I have built in nav.

Wonder if the same thing may be accomplished by using a 3rd party inverter? Someone who is having issues with this should give it a try and let us know the results. They are pretty reasonably priced these days.

The price of an inverter vs the price of an adequately spec'd car charger doesn't seem worth it. I have an inverter, and yes, it does work - but definitely overkill.

roadrash

Reaction score
I've got this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001UB279A/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details

It's rated for 700mA. I can use Nav and positive charge at the same time - it works but charges very slow. I would assume anything over 700mA would work fine. I'm personally going to pick up the moto charger since it's rated for 950mA.

So if a 700mA is working for you, 1A didn't cut it for me (even the wall charger that came with phone doesn't keep up if I'm using heavily at home...) it seems like something doesn't add up. Possible that just because the charger says it can output a certain amount of juice, it doesn't mean you are getting it to yield that much?

I'm more curious than anything... Would have figured all chargers would work equally as well as the others (assuming same output rating)

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
So if a 700mA is working for you, 1A didn't cut it for me (even the wall charger that came with phone doesn't keep up if I'm using heavily at home...) it seems like something doesn't add up. Possible that just because the charger says it can output a certain amount of juice, it doesn't mean you are getting it to yield that much?

I'm more curious than anything... Would have figured all chargers would work equally as well as the others (assuming same output rating)

Might be something wrong with your charger or phone? I can complete slam my phone (Netflix, games, etc) and it charges perfectly fine on the included wall charger. I'm using my OG Droid charger right now at work. It's rated for 850mA and it works just like the one that came with my Nexus.

roadrash

Reaction score
Might be something wrong with your charger or phone? I can complete slam my phone (Netflix, games, etc) and it charges perfectly fine on the included wall charger. I'm using my OG Droid charger right now at work. It's rated for 850mA and it works just like the one that came with my Nexus.

If it was a problem with the phone, I wouldn't expect ANY charger to work ok for me regardless if it put out even 5A. I never would have expected my car charger to be the one the delivers the best.

Just tried Netflix off my 1A charger here at the office and it proceeded to slowly trickle down.

Anyone else have similar "problem" as me? I don't want to go back to VZW store to try and get replacement phone when this might just be the reality of things with this phone (even though others seem to have no trouble at all...)

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
If it was a problem with the phone, I wouldn't expect ANY charger to work ok for me regardless if it put out even 5A. I never would have expected my car charger to be the one the delivers the best.

Just tried Netflix off my 1A charger here at the office and it proceeded to slowly trickle down.

Anyone else have similar "problem" as me? I don't want to go back to VZW store to try and get replacement phone when this might just be the reality of things with this phone (even though others seem to have no trouble at all...)

What kind of 1A charger do you have?

roadrash

Reaction score
What kind of 1A charger do you have?

I've used a cheapo generic charger from monoprice and the one that came with phone. Same performance from both.

Se7enLC

Reaction score

The only ways using an inverter with a wall brick will yield better results than a car charger are:
A) if the car charger does not have d+ shorted to d-, it will not allow more than 500mA
B) if the car charger is not rated at 1A like the wall charger is

People having problems charging need to post whether their phone says "Charging (USB)" or Charging (AC)" as well as what the maximum current rating is on their charger.

The OP claims that even with both conditions met, navigation can peak past the maximum observed current draw of the phone (0.9A). MOST people experiencing problems charging will probably find that their charger is <1A or says "Charging (USB)"

roadrash

Reaction score
The only ways using an inverter with a wall brick will yield better results than a car charger are:
A) if the car charger does not have d+ shorted to d-, it will not allow more than 500mA
B) if the car charger is not rated at 1A like the wall charger is

People having problems charging need to post whether their phone says "Charging (USB)" or Charging (AC)" as well as what the maximum current rating is on their charger.

The OP claims that even with both conditions met, navigation can peak past the maximum observed current draw of the phone (0.9A). MOST people experiencing problems charging will probably find that their charger is <1A or says "Charging (USB)"

Good point. I did check and it's stating that it's AC charging off chargers with 1A max rating. Interestingly enough, when I tried charging off my 2.1 amp iPad charger, it slowly loses charge too if I use the phone. More power doesn't seem to matter; it would seem that the phone is pulling the most that it possibly can and it won't be enough.

Really weird that the phone would be able to pull more out of a car charger... Really shouldn't matter or even be possible I'd have thought.

roadrash

Reaction score
Too bad current widget doesn't work on Samsung phones. That would demystify all this.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Good point. I did check and it's stating that it's AC charging off chargers with 1A max rating. Interestingly enough, when I tried charging off my 2.1 amp iPad charger, it slowly loses charge too if I use the phone. More power doesn't seem to matter; it would seem that the phone is pulling the most that it possibly can and it won't be enough.

What charger is it exactly / can you provide links? I was told by a representative at Belkin that the "USB Charging" spec where D+ and D- are shorted made chargers not work with Apple devices, and that was their reasoning behind not offering any chargers that meet that spec. I haven't verified that to be the case, but I can't imagine they would have come up with that out of the blue. In fact, I've yet to see ANY evidence of any car charger at all that provides a USB port with D+ and D- shorted that wasn't manually modded.

Are you 110% positive that you're using a 2.1A iPad charger and your phone says "Charging (AC)" when connected to it? If that's true - I want to buy that charger!

And for anyone else in this thread - if you have found a car charger that gives you a USB port with the two middle pins (D+ and D-) shorted, such that your Galaxy Nexus will say "Charing (AC)" when plugged in with a standard microUSB cable - PLEASE post a link to the charger!